Has anyone in US been checking canned tuna with a geiger counter?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Thanks, but I'm going to try to find one that's in a store. I'll wait until the stores open this morning and call around.
I looked at those vids on you tube also, and they seem complicated to make. (to me).

After looking at some vids, I'm not sure the amount will be enough to register however. Nonetheless, I still want one to see for myself. : )

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

Thanks a lot! I JUST bought two cans of tuna! Would holding a can near a radio cause static?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The mere fact that we're talking about this s..t proves that nuclear energy isn't worth it.

Gawd are we stupid!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I would suggest to one of our fellow ATS'ers who are Active Duty/Reserve or National Guard to see their CBRNE NCO. They have equipment that can measure radition, and may perhaps even be entertaining for them to do so.

Entertaining until the numbers start rising...and then it's.. "Oh SNIP! Do you see that?"

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

this was posted last thursday...

“Absolutely Every One” – 15 Out of 15 – Bluefin Tuna Tested In California Waters Contaminated with Fukushima Radiation
George Washington's picture
Submitted by George Washington on 05/29/2012 11:00 -0400

source:
www.zerohedge.com... aters-co

for good or bad... i consume only Salmon, gave up on 'Tuna' years ago (aka: albacore)

Clicked on the link and.......

Page not found

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
OK I checked to cans of tuna, unopened and than open. No radiation at all. not even a tick or reading.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I have an old school geiger counter (from the 60's or 70's) you know the yellow box one.I test the milk every once in awhile and I haven't gotten any higher readings from when I started testing after Fukushima's meltdown. I haven't tested any seafood because I don't eat any but I can tell you the milk isn't more radiated then it was one I first started testing. I do get some decent sized ticks though.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
I threw my tuna out. Where do you buy a geiger counter? I'd go buy one if I knew where to get it.
A gun store? Walmart? Suggestions that are not on line shopping?

Try here. They seem to be the best place. They test everyone they sell. They even fix and repair old units. I have one that I am going to send in when I get the money

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

You could try ringing up your local pawn shops and see if they have one. It's probably not likely but you might get lucky. Other than that I don't know where you could get one other than online. If you don't have a credit card to buy one online you could get one of those pre-paid cards for a one time use.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I stopped eating tuna after they took the dolphin out of it.

Just hasn't been the same since.

Me too, it was just filler anyway really. I have switched to straight dolphin now (Atlantic not Pacific) and have never looked back.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by St Udio

this was posted last thursday...

“Absolutely Every One” – 15 Out of 15 – Bluefin Tuna Tested In California Waters Contaminated with Fukushima Radiation
George Washington's picture
Submitted by George Washington on 05/29/2012 11:00 -0400

source:
www.zerohedge.com... aters-co

for good or bad... i consume only Salmon, gave up on 'Tuna' years ago (aka: albacore)

Clicked on the link and.......

Page not found

Fixed?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I think to be safe...

Just don't buy Pacific Tuna.....or any Pacific fish for that matter.

And if your in the fish business in the Pacific.....start looking for another job.

Cosmic..

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Odd and amusing that you would start a post about this, as I just tested an 8 pack bundle of Albacore
Tuna recently. The background levels were fluctuating around .12 to .14 mcSv per hour. The bundle raised
it to .18 micro sieverts per hour. While insignificant, there was a measurable increase. Since I did not
remove the Tuna from the can and measure it seperately, it is possible that the metal can was the
culprit. I will do that at some point. I did measure a plastic bucket of rainwater as well, and this measurement
elevated to .24 mcSv per hour. While the levels are still low for the most part, it is a cumulative exposure
over the years that is worrisome. Background levels should be lower as well. I know someone who went
on a diet that was Tuna based, and they actually got Mercury poisoning. Again, with Mercury, the trouble
is due to cumulative contact/ingestion.

The Bluefin Tuna, Salmon, and other fish that migrate to Japan are more of a concern than Albacore
Tuna at the moment. You really might want to test or reduce your consumption of those fish unfortunately.

Careful with that Sushi, and Saki as well for that matter! Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
its also very Important to remember that some forms of dangerous radiation
DO NOT READ MUCH or AT ALL ON A GIEGER COUNTER!

None of the instruments listed in this website detect neutron, microwave, RF (radio frequency), laser, infrared, or ultraviolet radiation. All of the instruments are most accurate for Cesium 137 and isotopes of similar energies. Some isotopes detected relatively well are Cobalt 60, Technicium 99M, Phosphorous 32, Strontium 90, and many forms of Radium, Plutonium, Uranium, and Thorium.

Some forms of radiation are very difficult or impossible for a Geiger tube to detect. Tritium is a byproduct of a nuclear reactor and is used in research. The beta emissions from Tritium are so weak that there are very few instruments that are capable of detecting it. More sophisticated equipment is needed for the measurement of environmental samples, such as radioactivity in milk, produce, soil, etc., unless you are looking for gross contamination.

The radiation from some isotopes can cause a Geiger tube to overexcite and indicate a higher level of radiation than is actually present. Americium 241 is an example of this phenomenon. Americium 241 is used in some smoke detectors and many different types of industrial density and flow meters.

Unless you know exactly what you are measuring and understand the limitations of detection instruments, it is possible to draw misleading conclusions from your readings.

seintl.com...

I think avoiding majorly contaminated items like manufactured items, or areas, would be the best thing a geigercounter could do for you

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSandman

I heard on the news today that it's not really the albacore so much as it the bluefin, and that is high-end tuna basically used for sushi.

I have credit cards, I just don't like to put any information like that on line.

I will call around to some pawn shops tomorrow......thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

Well, folks are welcome to come in and laugh, but I've suspected tuna is irradiated. I've since stopped eating canned tuna after two separate bad spells I had.

Terrible nausea, horrific headaches, dehydration and just being "not there" almost 1-2 hours after consuming it. **Actually, as I recall.. it was less than 1 hour when I was affected. I made the connection after it happened again and immediately, like the last. The first time, I chalked it up to a random spell.. but it happened 3 days later the next time I had canned tuna. I shared some with my cat who was also showing signs of being sick, and lethargic.

The nausea was easier to deal with, but the headache was not. It was one of the most brutal headaches I've ever had, and I've had many, being afflicted with regular migraines. I was wagering a trip to the hospital for morphine, or -anything- other than the bullet I was considering. Alas, I managed to pass out for over 12 hours and woke up in a stupor, and no headache.. then went on to forget about the whole ordeal and the connections with the canned tuna.

So, I've thought about getting a geiger counter, yes.
edit on 3-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

I can somewhat relate. I was on dialysis for 8 years, and tuna would make me feel ill, noticeably so. I began to buy better brands and only the light tuna, not the white albacore, which is supposed to be more toxic, and it does seem to help a bit. I will only eat tuna 2-3 times a month, and I usually boil it to cook it well and then drain off the water. If it's still pink, then I don't digest it well, has to be fully cooked. This may help detox it slightly, too, don't know. I also only get it in water, since I'm trying to get soybean products out of our diet - they are everywhere, in all vegetable oils, margarines, many products.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i would not exactly consume any fish nowadays

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by geert

This is naive and very uninformed!

The Sea is sooooooooooo+ooooooooooo+oooooooo big,
Europe can be inside the Pacific afir. 28 Times.

A lot of our Seafood in Japan is coming from Peru, Chile and Antarctica
all i clean and much healthier than the Vegetables and Meat from the EU. or USA!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
reply to post by geert

This is naive and very uninformed!

The Sea is sooooooooooo+ooooooooooo+oooooooo big,
Europe can be inside the Pacific afir. 28 Times.

A lot of our Seafood in Japan is coming from Peru, Chile and Antarctica
all i clean and much healthier than the Vegetables and Meat from the EU. or USA!

You my friend are the uninformed. They recently tested tuna from the west coast of USA and found Nuclear radiation! I encourage you to stay away from certian sea food, but I will not try to "force" you to do so. Hey someone has to eat the radiated seafood right?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I Have not consumed Tuna, Fish, Sushi, or any Japan related Food Items since March 2011. (This is when the Fukushima plant began to have Multiple Meltdowns/Meltthroughs)

I would like to make 2 points

1) Gieger Counters will not be able to detect the radiation in the food. If you want to know why, just reasearch it. basicly you need much higher end expensive detectors, not handheld detectors.

2) The reason the seafood is affected more is because they collect the radiation and it builds up inside them over time as they grow. So if some people say "oh the sea is big there cant be so much radiation in all seafood" or " the radiation is in small amounts" they are not understanding this point. If the radiation is thin and/or spread out, the fish collect it and it accumulates during their lifetime, becoming dangerous to consume.

I will not be bothered in 10 + years when the " officails now state that seafood was more Contanimated than previously thought after the Japan disaster! Cancer rates on the rise! " Be smart.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join