It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone in US been checking canned tuna with a geiger counter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Curious if anyone in the US has been checking canned tuna and other various foods from supermarkets with a geiger counter.

Also, is there anyone here with a geiger counter that is willing to do some local food store readings?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i would if i had the money.

im sure your not the only one who has thought about it

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

Well, folks are welcome to come in and laugh, but I've suspected tuna is irradiated. I've since stopped eating canned tuna after two separate bad spells I had.

Terrible nausea, horrific headaches, dehydration and just being "not there" almost 1-2 hours after consuming it. **Actually, as I recall.. it was less than 1 hour when I was affected. I made the connection after it happened again and immediately, like the last. The first time, I chalked it up to a random spell.. but it happened 3 days later the next time I had canned tuna. I shared some with my cat who was also showing signs of being sick, and lethargic.

The nausea was easier to deal with, but the headache was not. It was one of the most brutal headaches I've ever had, and I've had many, being afflicted with regular migraines. I was wagering a trip to the hospital for morphine, or -anything- other than the bullet I was considering. Alas, I managed to pass out for over 12 hours and woke up in a stupor, and no headache.. then went on to forget about the whole ordeal and the connections with the canned tuna.

So, I've thought about getting a geiger counter, yes.
edit on 3-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Someone on this forum is sure to see this that has a geiger counter. I'm curious as to what it would show in the reading, tuna or other seafood would probably be a great start.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Most canned tuna comes from Indonesia or maybe even China....so no, I haven't checked for radiation levels yet

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

It sounds more like a case of botulism than radiation poisoning.

Do you have any idea of how much radiation you would have to be exposed to in order to produce symptoms like that? I had radiation therapy (250 rads a pop) and never felt a thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Dude, you wouldn't know one bit that you ate contaminated tuna. I mean, the bequerels we're talking about here are small relative to body mass. So you would feel nothing, but isotopes like cesium, which builds into muscle tissue, build up in the body and cause cancer, heart attacks, leukemia, and a myriad of other diseases. Uranium has been found in Tokyo as well as Plutonium, I believe. That's NOT GOOD.

I stopped eating tuna after the cans I had ran out after Fukushima. I was so pissed. I used to love tuna. hahahahaha Of course, I still love tuna, but I don't eat it anymore. It's not worth the risk. I also stay away from any California produce. I only get stuff from FL or east coast. Imported stuff is questionable as some areas of Europe were heavily affected by Chernobyl. Some place in Britain had to stop selling sheep that grazed in the one field because it was so "radioactive." The sheep were obviously contaminated and with cesium. It's like the most abundant freakin isotope. Cesium must be made in MASSIVE quantities. Mind boggling releases of radiation and still on going.

Oh yea, you guys would probably need a scintillation counter instead of a geiger counter. That way you could measure the small amount of radiation and take readings of its energy output signature and compare that to known energy patterns of isotopes. Use common ones like cesium for things like tuna and of course whatever else it may find. Germanium ones are the older tech but most likely just fine. Few hundred dollars. I think you would be surprised at what you find and what you have been eating! I promise you that you will find at least one food product you eat contaminated with some manmade radioisotope! Wanna bet?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Sounds more like a sensitivity to mercury.

Did you experience any hair loss?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's very possible, but it struck me how I was affected twice and how both times were acute and didn't last days like any normal poisoning would. The cans were from the same company, but different lots.

Thing is, it was like any other normal sudden spell. The nausea while bad, was manageable and everything else was "manageable", except for the headache. I've had food poisoning before, and other random bugs, but I've never had acute headaches like that. Was a first time for me, very unique and uniquely excruciating.

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by SyphonX

Sounds more like a sensitivity to mercury.

Did you experience any hair loss?

Mercury was actually my first thought at the time, as it's pretty common in canned tuna. Just to reiterate.. I'm not "certain" it was radiation, I've just considered that as well. Though after all the replies, it seems likely it wasn't.
edit on 3-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I think it would be really great if someone here has one of these devices and can do a few readings next time they go food shopping or with what they have at home? Just for some kind of idea. Our government obviously isn't doing it, nor are they releasing data we should be entitled to.

Interesting read: blogs.riverfronttimes.com...
edit on 3-6-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Im in australia and stopped buying imported fish be it in a can or fresh.only buy local fish or go catch my own. I dont think I trust imported fish these days.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
I think it would be really great if someone here has one of these devices and can do a few readings next time they go food shopping or with what they have at home? Just for some kind of idea. Our government obviously isn't doing it, nor are they releasing data we should be entitled to.

Interesting read: blogs.riverfronttimes.com...
edit on 3-6-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

yeah agree.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I stopped eating tuna after they took the dolphin out of it.

Just hasn't been the same since.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
this was posted last thursday...

“Absolutely Every One” – 15 Out of 15 – Bluefin Tuna Tested In California Waters Contaminated with Fukushima Radiation
George Washington's picture
Submitted by George Washington on 05/29/2012 11:00 -0400

source:
www.zerohedge.com... aters-co

for good or bad... i consume only Salmon, gave up on 'Tuna' years ago (aka: albacore)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
We have a home made geiger counter ... and it works!
But our tuna is pre-fukashima and I'm not going to go buy any new tuna.
So no .. I haven't been checking .. I didn't even think to.
I just assume it's all glowing and nuclear ...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I threw my tuna out. Where do you buy a geiger counter? I'd go buy one if I knew where to get it.
A gun store? Walmart? Suggestions that are not on line shopping?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
someone be brave and buy some nuked up tuna it will taste nice and give you super powers.

No seriously someone please do this and upload your findings to youtube.

I would love to know as would many other people.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
I threw my tuna out. Where do you buy a geiger counter? I'd go buy one if I knew where to get it.
A gun store? Walmart? Suggestions that are not on line shopping?

here you go

www.geigercounters.com...

Or self made

edit on 3-6-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

found this on youtube.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The Tuna must be saturated in Radiation before you
will get a Result with a Geiger-Counter!

Contamination is measured in Bq and not in Microsieverts.

You need a Spetrograph for a Analysis,
not a Geiger Counter!

As i always said and already Months ago:
create a Group with 15-20 Families and
buy a used Spectrograph for the beginning,
check every Food Group and you are on the
safe Side, also inform yourself because the
6Bq a Kg they found in the Tuna is harmless,
you will die because of a Mecury Poisoning before
you die because of the Radiation!

Regards

Deny Ignorance, Study, Read and Talk!