It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Honor Looks Like...Flash Mob At Gate 38

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I saw this article today and thought I would share it. I know there are many here who do not support our troops, but there are many more that do. I think any who have served deserve honor and respect for doing so. This video brought a tear to my eye when I watched it. In my eyes these guys are heroes.

To the mods, I did a search since the article is a few days old and didn't find anything. If this is a duplicate please remove it.

www.mullerover.com...

What honor looks like: The flash mob at Gate 38 of Reagan National Airport

Honor is a hard term to describe. It doesn’t have a color or weight or shape. If someone were to ask me what honor looked like, I’d probably struggle with what to say.

But something happened on May 23, 2012 at 9:31 a.m. at Gate 38 of Reagan National Airport that might change that. A flash mob of sorts broke out. But not like you’ve seen on YouTube with highly choreographed dance numbers or people singing a song in unison. In fact, virtually all of the participants of this “flash mob” didn’t know they would be participating until moments before it happened.

Let me explain. Shortly before 9:30 over the loud speakers, a US Airways gate attendant announced that an Honor Flight of World War II veterans would be arriving momentarily and encouraged anyone passing by to help greet them. Five or six people looked like they were officially part of the welcoming committee, and the rest of the people in the secure section of the airport were regular old travelers going somewhere. Then I had a terrible thought. What if these veterans came off the plane and just those five or six individuals were there to greet them. I walked a gate over to help see the veterans out.

But – then it happened and frankly, I wasn’t expecting it. All throughout the terminal, people left their gates and gathered around gate 38. A few active military personnel in plain clothes approached the gate attendant and politely asked if they could join in the salute within the jet way as the heros first stepped off the plane. Every human being in the terminal stood at attention and faced the door.

This was above and beyond awesome in my opinion. Again, I know everyone here doesn't agree and that is ok. That's what makes the world go 'round. I just wanted to share with those who might enjoy seeing it!

Here is a link to the video....

ETA...Mods, I meant for this to go in General Chit Chat. Sorry about that.
edit on 6/3/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
That was awesome, I'm a grizzled 52 year old
I cried, that was so cool, some people still care.
Awesome.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrainGarden
That was awesome, I'm a grizzled 52 year old
I cried, that was so cool, some people still care.
Awesome.

That they do. I am glad you enjoyed it.

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig
I was expecting this to be about your modern day child raping and child killing troops, in any case, your ww2 vets are no better.

You must be heartbroken that you aren't living under the rule of Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan.
You have my sincere condolences.

That was really great to see people paying their respects in such a spontaneous fashion. If the TSA has stopped these vets to grope them we might have seen the beginning of the second American revolution start in an airport terminal.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

I was expecting this to be about your modern day child raping and child killing troops, in any case, your ww2 vets are no better.

You must be heartbroken that you aren't living under the rule of Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan.
You have my sincere condolences.

That was really great to see people paying their respects in such a spontaneous fashion. If the TSA has stopped these vets to grope them we might have seen the beginning of the second American revolution start in an airport terminal.

That's almost enough to make you wish they had, isn't it?

I was glad to see it as well. A lot of the younger generation feel like the poster above, and I can only be thankful that the terminal was not filled to capacity with ingrates.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Refreshing...to see something so touching and authentic. Brought tears to my eyes for the soldiers of WWII. While not every one agrees with the reasons of war - it's still important to be appreciative of those who put their lives on line to defend what they felt was/is important...nice. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Both my grandfathers were vets from the World Wars. My Dad's father was wounded in WW1 and carried shrapnel in his belly for 75 years. My Mom's Dad was in the Army air corps flying P47 close support missions in Italy. My wife's father was a ball turret gunner on a B17 and flew the mission over Schweinfurt.
Neither of them ever mentioned their service unless asked about it. Pretty sure neither of them were baby killers

I don't think they ever got the credit they deserved.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I thank them dearly for their service. I know where you are coming from. My grandfather fought in WWII as well. He brought back tons of pictures of the atrocities that were occurring there and I can still remember the first time I saw them around 25 years ago. He too, was a good man. He saw first hand what I had a hard time looking at in pictures.

He saw those that needed help and was glad he could help them. However, it haunted him until his last breath. Even though he saw the survivors walk out, he always worried over the things that he had to do there. So he was far from a cold hearted killer, just as your's are. A normal person takes no joy in harming another.

I never thought he got the honor or respect he deserved either, though again like your's...he himself never expected it, and never volunteered the information about his service.

Plenty fought/died for other's to have the right to dishonor, and revile those same people that helped keep it free. That says A LOT about their honor and integrity IMO.

Originally posted by whos2know
Refreshing...to see something so touching and authentic. Brought tears to my eyes for the soldiers of WWII. While not every one agrees with the reasons of war - it's still important to be appreciative of those who put their lives on line to defend what they felt was/is important...nice. Thanks for sharing!

I couldn't agree more, and I am glad you liked it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

this is fabulous....we, Americans, really are good people....an God bless the soldiers....and the ordinary citizens who honor them!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That was really great to see. I'm glad it's on video. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

This is a fantastic show of honor and reverence toward our veteran heroes. my family has many veterans, both young and old, and i am grateful to all of those who sacrificed for us. We need to remember why they served, and let not their sacrifices be in vain. we are in charge of our freedom now, in our own country. glad there are still men and women willing to stand in harms way to protect our freedoms.

CX

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If they hadn't fought, you'd probably be dead right now for saying something like that.

As it happens, you're able to say what you want with no repercussions other than people thinking disgust at your comment.

Go chat to a WW vet next time you get a chance, maybe get thier opinion on the matter? I have my doubts about many conflicts these days, but as for the WW's, i'd just rather say thanks and leave it at that.

CX.
edit on 3/6/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

go troll elsewhere those old men have more honor and dignity in their pubic hairs then you do in your entire body go back under your bridge and quit trying to ruin our moment of unity and pride in our veterans

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As a veteran myself, I appreciate and respect honorable combat veterans, especially when fighting a competent enemy. WW veterans come from a time of almost gullible trust we'll never see again and from a time when most Americans had a real sense of honor and values, it was the norm not the exception and the lines were drawn much clearer.

Today, blindly supporting "the troops" or anyone else for that matter is a mistake. It encourages things I promise you wouldn't be proud of. Whether or not the reason we're fighting is worth cheering for or not, I support people that consistently do the right thing. In the heat of battle or even planning it's very easy to get caught up and do terrible things, and unfortunately, many do. The subtleties of leadership have a huge influence over others and can mean all the difference in the way you leave any "village" in your wake. Leaders come in all shapes, sizes and ranks for that matter.

In my mind, you can do the right thing your entire life, but just one heinous act does indeed remove your "honorable" status. It's hard, very hard to do the right thing all the time, that's why it's admired.

If you won't or can't discern the difference, you're admiration is meaningless to those that actually carry it. I'm not one of those people, but I think I can recognize the real deal when I see it.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Wow, what a sad little . . . thing you are.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
[SNIPPED GRAPHIC CONTENT]

This is what your brave troops do.
edit on 6/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by doryinaz

this is fabulous....we, Americans, really are good people....an God bless the soldiers....and the ordinary citizens who honor them!

Thanks for the laugh, that bit where you said you were really good people was the best punchline I have ever heard.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I don't know how someone can have such an opinion. Members of my family were tortured and died in Europe during WW2. These old men are my heroes, please respect them.

One day nazis arrested my father's favorite uncle, they said he looked like one guy of the resistance. I lost another uncle too, victim of starvation and a cold winter when he was a baby in that war. My young aunt couldn't go out of the house without risking to be raped, she never got married or had children.

I hope you understand now.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This was a good video.
While i do not support the -reasons- we go to war, I do not blame this on the troops. Humans are capable of some aweful things when put into a situation such as this. All the people who talk about them being 'baby killers' and stuff, have zero idea what its like to be in war. Hell, i dont even know. My father retired from the navy last year, 27 years service? He was in the gulf war. I never really asked him much more about his job (too busy pressuring me to join the military haha).

Some people are messed up. But when you go to war. Things change. Humans adapt to survive. And the troops suffer the consequences of that, while the higher ups sit in a kushy tent, or, a ship, or, not even in the same country. Sitting behind a desk. There is no sense blaming them. They were put in that situation. They have to make a living, they have to support a family at home. When there are NO JOBS around, what do you do? Enlist.

Then you have the kids who have no idea what they are getting into, what the actual reality is before its too late.

Soldiers out there.. become mentally unstable very quick. Hence why PTSD and Depression and all sorts of mental illness the servicemen/women come back with. Hence why the suicide rates among soldiers are also sky high. People are not monsters. Situations make them monsters.

Friends with you neighbor one month. Killing him for his supplies after the bombs start dropping.

Heartfelt video, and i thank our veterans for fighting for our freedoms. No matter what the underlying reasons for 'wars' these days, these people deserve our respect for sacrificing their sanity and their lives, even if the reasons are lies. All the more reason to end the wars, and stop the endless bloodshed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join