Were you in the "Gifted Program" ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whatsreal
reply to post by Chickensalad

HAHAHA, I had to go back and see if there was really somebody named Chickensalad to see if you were upset with me for some reason

Guess there is somebody!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Secretly identifying gifted children in order to put "intelligent children on the books" and "watch them as they mature" doesn't seem like he is addressing something nefarious to you?

I guess I'm just a pessimist.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus

For years I surrounded myself with the fun people, the cool ones. As an adult however these people bored me. I probably bored them, too. There weren't many at all that I could ever hold an interesting conversation with. When I finally decided to go to college I became much happier. Finally, people who understood big words, who actually had a deep thought every now and then. In this way I can identify with some of the other posts on here.

This is similar to my own experience. Honestly the only time I felt popular or that I "fit in" was a period in my life when I tried to consciously dumb myself down around others.

People seem to be intimidated if you mention something they don't understand or try to bring up conversation with any substance that is not laden with pop culture references or juvenile humor. It is even worse now I feel as I get older.

I never attended college because my parents divorced after high school and step-father ended up with the house and the money. Mother could not afford college and needed help when we relocated.

I find myself rather dissatisfied with relations and employment the older I become and this has always reminded me of something I had read in a paper by Bertrand Russell. It may have been "The Scientific Outlook" but I can't recall exactly. Anyhow it was something Russell mentioned along the lines of how any free thinking individual who has the ability to notice his condition yet not conform to societies standards would basically be miserable yet neutralized because they will be demoralized through manual labor to the point that they will not have the energy to challenge their circumstances. I have been trying to find the exact quote for a while now. If anyone knows which paper this was from please let me know.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Grade 1 thru 8 totaly boring
So in high school got put in special ed. class (for the slow one)
Had to be tested ( had a unidentified learning disability like dyslexiai ) never toll me
But had a reading ability of university level or better
My problem was & is I can't stay focus long enoft to put it down in word same when talking to other goes over their head have to dumd it down.
You would think after all the reading I do speeling would be smiple to me Nope
still fighting it now as I wright this and keep reading other thread at the same time ??????

Ho normally I got thru a speel check but to give you a idea I did not hope you can make sence out of it

Ho and my french speeling is just as bad
edit on 3-6-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I was in a gifted program at my schools as well, and it was called Encore; I say schools because it overlapped Elementary and Middle School, from 2nd grade through 6th (1999-2004). I'm not sure if it existed in 1st grade or not, but I doubt it. I don't remember much except that most of what the people here have described seemed fairly similar. We had two classes for each grade, with each class having about 15 kids or so, and two teachers. In my Elementary school there were only two of us that went, and I think in Middle school there were three. Very occasionally the two classes would collaborate on something. I don't remember going on many field trips, but the location of classes changed 2 or 3 times throughout the years.

It started when I would finish all my work in 1st grade early, and be completely bored the rest of the day. The teacher would ask me to help tutor some of the kindergartners down the hall, but that wasn't much better. I mean, I may have been intelligent but that didn't mean I was a good teacher lol. I'm not sure if that teacher suggested it, or if my mother asked someone at school about it but either during that school year or immediately afterwards I took an IQ test, and next thing I knew I was told I'd be going to the gifted kids program. It was one day each week, either for the first half of the day or the second half depending on which class I was assigned to each year.

Some of the stuff we did included very VERY basic Algebra (which made 7th grade Algebra I a breeze), model airplanes/aeronautical physics, marine biology, and the last two years we primarily focused on Future Problem Solving. We were given a prompt which detailed a problem that usually took place twenty or so years in the future, such as controversial nanobot technologies, genetics issues, etc. We would get into small groups once we read over the prompt, discuss our ideas, and write a paper together. Then, one or two of us would present our paper and solution to the class and be critiqued by the teachers. I believe the grading system was very similar to the AP essay grading system (1 is the lowest, 5 is highest, 3 is okay) but I could be wrong. At the end of both years, one group was chosen to represent our class in the statewide competition. I didn't go the first year, but the second I was one of four kids to go. We didn't win, and I have no idea what place we came in.

Overall the program was very enlightening; it helped me develop an investigative mind that always looks at every little detail before coming to a conclusion. However I do remember thinking that there were certain days that could have been better spent further developing our minds. I know many times we would just watch episodes of a certain TV show, something about a boat, and Mayan ruins... And it was on laser disc! If anyone has any idea what that could be let me know

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, no I do not think it was part of a scheme to keep track of all the "gifted" people in the America. It was a great program, and although I haven't heard anything about it in years I hope it's still going strong. But when I look back at some of my classmates from Encore (a few of us are friends on Facebook) none of us are particularly advanced in society. One friend dropped out of college, one's in a gang and as annoying as ever, and another is still in college. Not a great college, but not a bad one. I mean, I assume their intelligence hasn't waned any since we outgrew the program, but none of us seem to be in a "gifted" position at the moment!

I hope that helps OP! Thanks for making me look back on that whole experience! :]
edit on 3/6/2012 by Evan_Dood because: Added linkage!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by Mapkar

Secretly identifying gifted children in order to put "intelligent children on the books" and "watch them as they mature" doesn't seem like he is addressing something nefarious to you?

I guess I'm just a pessimist.

I have no idea what the states or federal government might do with any data they have, but I can personally guarantee you that the teachers and the schools do not track them in any way whatsoever nor do Universities. They also only provide limited data to the state and federal government and never as a "list" of any kind. I know this because I work there and am responsible for the information.
Hope that helps to calm some of your apprehensions.

The sate and federal departments are ...disgustingly disorganized... they really are pretty pathetic, redundant and futile. From my experience with them, I can honestly say that I seriously doubt they do any tracking of that kind. They are much too busy trying to justify their own existance, pad their own salaries and making it look like they're doing work they aren't really doing to bother tracking much of anything. They are a very big disappointment and you would be amazed at their incompetence.
edit on 3-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Your story reminds me of my own. Thanks for sharing!!
Being a "nerd" in the 70's was really a social killer. LOL! I know, as I fall into that same list.

As for the OP, I was in one of the earliest child development studies, as they were known in 1961-63. The University of Minnesota signed up volunteer moms with new babies for this study, with free medical care being the enticement. As such, my mother signed me into this program at birth. I beleive this was one of the first major studies on children's development- not just physically, they focused on IQ/ability to learn. Since there were no gifted programs during that time, (but there were shortly after I passed thru those grades), I was shuttled to a classroom corner and given work that was many grade levels over me. For some reason, they were given special permission to admit me to Kindergarten at the age of 4. When I entered school, I could read, write in cursive as well as printing, and do simple math problems. I believe this was the precursor to gifted classes, but I could be wrong. They "followed" me until I was 25.
My own kids got to participate in the "gifted programs" once they got into school. 2/4 of my kids qualified and did very well. Do I think they are bogus? No, I think they were/are intended to stimulate promising young minds to move beyond their "safety" nets and explore a range of future interests, or even possibly career paths.

My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Had to be tested ( had a unidentified learning disability like dyslexiai ) never toll me
My problem was & is I can't stay focus long enoft to put it down in word same when talking to other goes over their head have to dumd it down.
still fighting it now as I wright this and keep reading other thread at the same time ??????

Ho normally I got thru a speel check but to give you a idea I did not hope you can make sence out of it

It does seem like a combination of possible dyslexia and ADHD from your description. Nothing at all to be ashamed of in any way. They don't coorelate with lower intelligence at all, more neurological in nature, "hyper neurological" meaning you process very, very quickly and lose the focus to slow yourself down for things like spelling and grammar. You have so much going through your head so quickly that it's hard to get it down fast enough. Speaks highly of your intelligence level and can often be controlled with practice as opposed to medication. Things like meditation, deep breathing, finding a "calmness" and focusing on it, things that will drive you absolutely crazy for the first week because it will bore you to death, but will get easier as you go and really well help.
Do you get a lot of anxiety too? Like you have to be "doing something" because you hate sitting still?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Evan_Dood

Laser discs were the precursor to DVD's and came out about the same time VHS was making it's debut. The discs looked similar to a DVD, but they were the size of a 33 1/3 LP vinyl record. They didn't last very long, as VHS was just more convenient than these huge discs that people were getting away from with the advent of CD.

I remember all the IQ tests and Scholastic achievement tests along with Iowa basics- and I took them usually 4 times a year. I won't post my IQ on here as it's really pointless. IQ only signifies what you are capable of learning, not how successful one will be in life.

Hope this helps your curiosity!

SK

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I was also in a similar program during grade school that was called GT (Gifted & Talented). I do recall some IQ and memory testing around 2nd grade. It was a small group of students (about 5 or 6) who met once a week for "enrichment" time. I don't remember all of the details because it was about 20 years ago, but I do recall painting, discussing music, projecting stock values, and brainstorming. I also remember competing at Social Studies and Science fairs was highly encouraged.

Despite doing quite well, I lost interest in school around 9th grade & was pulled out for home schooling. However, a few years layer, I decided to go to college and did exceptionally well on the SAT (despite the unstructured home schooling & having a terrible hangover the morning of the exam.) I graduated with a BA in History, and I am currently finishing up my MA in Ancient History also. I am planning to completed a Ph.D program after I am done with the MA.

I have to say that I do remember as a youngster being relieved that I was chosen for the GT program. It was good to know that the awkwardness that I felt was seen as a potentially positive feature. I didn't interact with the other students on the same level. I was always reading about various academic topics and found many things
that my peers were interested in boring and/or irrelevant.

I want to make clear that I do not think that myself, or the others in the program, were necessarily smarter than the other students, because I remember there being some really bright students that were not chosen for the program. I think that we may have viewed things differently, but I really can't say for sure.

Just my experience...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
In response to the OPs question I don't feel that individual G&T programs are controlled or monitored in a usual sense by the govt but I do feel that it is a stepping stone to point potential prospects down the road toward things like Rhodes Scholars and such which are then used to recruit members into other "roundtable" groups.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I'm guessing you were replying to me but I'm not sure since you've only quoted me.

I'm not at all worried about the programs being bad or used to identify and track us - I think they were made to help us. The sinister bit was addressing the way the op worded his post. He said "put them on the books" and "watch them as they mature".

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Yes. I was in a "Gifted" program in Columbus, OH, then we moved and I continued in TAG (Talented and Gifted) in Colorado Springs, CO. My Dad was in the Air Force so we moved around and I attended multiple schools. I enjoyed the freedom from the traditional classroom learning, but realized pretty quickly that we were more geeky than special, and we protected ourselves from our peers accordingly, as best we could.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I'm guessing you were replying to me but I'm not sure since you've only quoted me.

I'm not at all worried about the programs being bad or used to identify and track us - I think they were made to help us. The sinister bit was addressing the way the op worded his post. He said "put them on the books" and "watch them as they mature".

Yes, replying to you.
Ahhh, that makes sense.
It is pretty helpful now that I look back on it. ...pretty much thanks to this thread

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Trillium

It does seem like a combination of possible dyslexia and ADHD from your description. Nothing at all to be ashamed of in any way. They don't coorelate with lower intelligence at all, more neurological in nature, "hyper neurological" meaning you process very, very quickly and lose the focus to slow yourself down for things like spelling and grammar. You have so much going through your head so quickly that it's hard to get it down fast enough. Speaks highly of your intelligence level and can often be controlled with practice as opposed to medication. Things like meditation, deep breathing, finding a "calmness" and focusing on it, things that will drive you absolutely crazy for the first week because it will bore you to death, but will get easier as you go and really well help.
Do you get a lot of anxiety too? Like you have to be "doing something" because you hate sitting still?

Anxiety I love it live on it ( and I'm 58)
Have to read learn and most important build
I Have at lease 2 to 3 project on the go until i run out of money or time
At Xmas my familly would bet on how long it would take me to totally diassemble and put back together my toy and and the rest of my brother and sister toy
and they alway's work after so i also repaired them long after.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
As another member has mentioned, I went to a program called the Gifted and Talented Education program, also known as G.A.T.E - I was chosen because of my extremely high test scores during elementary and middle school. Every Wednesday we would leave our regular schools to get on a bus (it was a long bus, shut up) to a High School where we would basically do really hard work all day and take tests and other stuff.

It sucked.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I don't think they are being tracked.

Lack of Accountability and Reporting • 18 states do not collect information about students in the state who are identified as gifted and talented. • 21 states do not monitor or audit district programs for gifted and talented students.

www.nagc.org...

Here it clearly says that it's only 18 states that do monitor or collect info on the gifted. Safe to say the the rest of the states do.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Erectus

How odd that you would mention health, I have always been in amazingly awsome shape. I never get sick, or have infections.

My first experience with the gifted and talented program started after I took the istep in 4th grade. My parents were so proud to have one of their kids in the 99th percentile in 3 subjects, math, science, and reading comprehention. I always assumed that my apptitude in math and science came from my ability to read and store data. If I read it, it stays with me forever. Not really a photographic, or eidetic memory. More of I just remember everything, but it is all shoved in their like a hard drive that needs to be defragged. All the data is there, it just isn't accessable like a filling cabnet. More like the old coffee can of bolts on your garage shelf.

Kinda weird, I also dropped out of highschool. I went and got my GED, took no classes and aced it, also took the asfab, got a 95%, went into cannon fire direction control. Big guns, 155 mm, 100 lbs bullets, at an average of 5 to 8 miles depending on elevations with the little green bags.

Wasn't always smart though. My brilliance was miraculous. One day in second grade, we were learning how to divide, I just didn't understand math, I couldn't grasp the consept for some reason. Everyone was out at recess, but I coulnt go until I finished the 10 division problems on the board, I was so kad at myself for not beng able to understand. Then just BAM! It was like the lights had come on, and for the first time I could see. Since then, I have been able to do even complex math in my head, at fast speed, and can remeber almost anything I read for ever.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join