It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were you in the "Gifted Program" ?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I wrote about this in the vaccines in the 70's thread back in January, but here goes again:

Before school started, we were put through our paces and received several tests, including some medical ones at the school registration. At one point after the hearing test, someone put a scanner over the skin on my wrist to show me my blood flowing through my veins. Through the scanner my blood looked green, and this affronted my little 4 yr old sensibilities. To this day I have been unable to figure out what that scanner was. Upon starting school, the principal took it upon himself to take certain kids aside for a kindergarten pretest. I write with my left hand but do most other things (including using scissors) with my right hand. I remember him getting furious with me and ripping the scissors out of my right hand, smacking the knuckles with them, and placing the scissors into my left hand. I would give him a scathing look,move the scissors to my right hand and proceed with my dexterity tests. After the third go round, my mother walked I to the room, saw him hitting my knuckles with the scissors and went postal on him. He never bothered me again, and retired about 2 years after that. (I digress because at that point in my country's educational system, it was finally OK to be left handed, but apparently they had no idea how to handle mixed dexterity kids).

After a series of other tests, I was put into a gifted program with half a dozen other kids. I was reading at a grade 5/6 level. Come grade 2, the school did a series of IQ tests, and all of us from the original kindergarten group along with a few others were put into an official "enrichment" program. We stayed with our main class for half of the day, then we went to the enrichment room for personal development. Lots of brain teasers, puzzles, IQ tests, self-driven projects, etc. that continued until high school, where enrichment was no longer offered-you just took advanced classes. I really don't remember a lot about the general going ons of enrichment, but I remember the teacher saying devisive things to each student so that we were distrustful of the other participants.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

have you got a link to that vaccine thread i remember seeing it

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm on my ipad so I can't link easily, but if you do a search for rimjaja and gifted it is the top listing

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Roundtree

I was in an accelerated math program in grade 6-10. I scored a 98% on the math grade 10 Regents test in 8th grade. I used to be awesome at math, but as any skill goes, it was mostly unused since school. For work I do use some math like measurement, figuring out fancy patterns and laying them out etc. But nothing fancy like the algebra I was doing in HS. Unfortunately 11 and 12 I went to a bad kids school, and they didn't have any college level math classes, so I stopped taking math after half a year of teaching my math teacher cool math tricks

edit on Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:12:49 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
reply to post by WhiteAlice

That may have been written on papers, but it sure as hell wasn't what was actually happening.

So we're supposed to take your word...some anonymous person claiming to have inside knowledge about a program in time periods that probably were before you were even born over educational psychologists publishing in academic journals from the time period itself? At least I give some form of citation and honestly, considering that these articles are not publicly available and are available through subscription to Sage and etc, well, I trust those articles far more than an anonymous person on the internet claiming to "know it all".

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I was in the gifted program of pissing off teachers. Instead of passing tests, I would answer all questions wrong. Now on written tests, this isn't rocket science -- except I would write the complete opposite of what ever point or answer that is to be considered the correct answer. On multiple choice, getting a zero is statistically improbable and yet when they scanned the "scantron" in and it popped up 0, they knew I deliberately answered the incorrect way.

Call it my own way of acknowledging that I knew the right answer. I did it because I could. Oh and this is the Internet and I am a savant.

Gate program was California's "gifted" program. I was there a week and never went back.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Algebra is probably the most often level of math that people use on a day to day basis. From calculating how far you can make it on empty to how many Top Ramens you can buy with $5.00. Everyday we find X using Y and Z. Hell I don't know, maybe this is the math geek in me speaking. I was that kid who slept every day of trig only to wake up, take a test and pass. For some, math comes natural; such as music or any other complex concept.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

TPTB are very afraid of what they have created.

They are afraid of people, despite their attempts of dumbing down people in their public schools, are "savants" of some kind of ability.

We see so many savants of "autism", created by their vaccine programs - I have a nephew who will never be able to take care of himself financially, but has been drawing since he was 2 years old - by memory - with a fist around a pencil - anything that he saw.

With great accuracy, and the ability to show more than one dimension in his drawings - since age 2.

You can bet that the gov't wants to keep an eye on people like this - and the "smart alecs" who have the ability to see more than one side of any issue.

Especially anyone who has any "psychic" abilities.

F^(& the gov't, I say.
edit on 11-8-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I think I posted in here under a past username when I had another email address and forgot the password...but yes, I was in gifted for 8 years.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

You too? I kept getting heavily tested all the way up into high school, about once a month. IQ/Aptitude types of tests. One day, I complained to my friends about how sick I was of filling in dots and weren't they sick of them, too? Found out that none of them had taken the last one nor any of the others. In my teenage mind, it made me mad that I was being put through so much extra testing with a handful of others while the rest of my class was left alone. So I started deliberately throwing the tests and I made it obvious--complex patterns on the scantron and snide oppositional commentary on the written exams. That's when I started hearing a lot about how I had issues with authority though it wasn't that. I respect authority (when it's good) well enough. I simply had issues with all the interest/invasive testing by some unknown quarter for unknown reasons. In my little investigation of the subject, I did find out which teacher was getting the results on accident and managed to steal one of them. Still have it. Looks pretty standard in subjects (reading, math, social studies, etc) but with the addition of referencing and educational ability. No clue which aptitude test it was as that information is not on the results. I tell you one thing though--that teacher lost status with me in a major way. I thought that she met and talked with me a lot because she liked me. In reality, she was most likely just spying on me and I felt pretty betrayed.

In regards to the math, my youngest is in it currently. Last year, they were learning number theory---primes, mersienne primes, sieves to find primes, and perfect numbers in the 5th grade. Basically, stuff that is good for cryptography.

P.S. Autistic with savant-like traits here, too. Son was in it as well and he's a high iq aspie.
edit on 11/8/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I was in #the gifted program too....I was in the 4th grade, Garden Grove, Ca....1972....We would stay an hour or so after school there were about 5 of us per grade, 1-6th grade so in the whole elementary school a total of about 30-50 children in the #Gifted program...They referred to us as Late Birds, and those not in the program as Early Birds...have not thought about this in a long time...Interesting thread OP....

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
How many of you are ambidextrous?

Lolz.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

teachtaire
How many of you are ambidextrous?

I am.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

Full on ambidextrous. I can write with my left or right hand. I can write with my left and right hands at the same time. Heck, I can write different words or draw different pictures with my left and right hands at the same time. Can't get more ambi than that. And the dancer? Well, if I'm just watching her, she twirls clockwise. If I'm thinking about something, she spins counterclockwise. She means nothing.

But yes, teachtaire, we got fed a lot of left/right brain things in the aims to making us creative logical little thinkers. I presume that's why you're asking. Another one of my friends from my group is also ambi like me. We were born that way as we'd get busted by our teacher for swapping hands before we ever were put into the program. Talk about contradictory, eh?

P.S. all you other gifted ambies, try writing different words with both hands at the same time, too. Bet you can do it, too.
edit on 18/11/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

And one more PS. Teachtaire, that video was lousy. If you scroll through the time, you can see that it was made to deliberately swap her movement. It's not legitimate.
Didn't bother to look at it when I first responded but watching the video, yeah...cute.

edit on 18/11/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
can anybody physically prove their IQ and program involvement? Video uploads? Your avatar or other art? Anything? Poetry?
edit on 18-11-2013 by teachtaire because: lol

The video wasn't a joke, which is why I didn't laugh at it. It is obviously no laughing matter, and a definitive test of brain hemisphere dominance. This is why psychologists and other highly trained professionals have been hit so hard by this recession; youtube has made them all obsolete.
edit on 18-11-2013 by teachtaire because: chip truth

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Hmmm, coulda sworn I replied to this earlier today, maybe I was a dumbass and posted on the wrong thread. I cannot write or draw left handed, but I can switch hit in baseball, fight normal and lefty, play hockey normal and lefty, and do different construction tasks for my business righty and lefty.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I took an IQ test as a child in school. The faculty spoke with my parents, but I stayed in my same classes. Never was informed of my score. I was in programs like odyssey of the mind, math club, chess club... was on Duke's gifted and talented list for scoring so high on standardized tests year after year... I quit caring about school at age 12... it was just so damned boring, and I was certain some of what they said was rubbish. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. I think of the fool I could have become staying in school and buying into all the hooplah, likely winding up a debt-slave in the process. Thank doG I'm not that much of an idiot...only mostly so.

oh since some are mentioning handedness, I'm left handed. it seems we tend to be either brilliant or retarded.
edit on 18-11-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

can anybody physically prove their IQ and program involvement? Video uploads? Your avatar or other art? Anything? Poetry?
edit on 18-11-2013 by teachtaire because: lol

Irrelevant. A member's posting style generally reveals intelligence and level of education.

The video wasn't a joke, which is why I didn't laugh at it. It is obviously no laughing matter, and a definitive test of brain hemisphere dominance. This is why psychologists and other highly trained professionals have been hit so hard by this recession; youtube has made them all obsolete.

The Left Brain / Right Brain personality style belief is just a poplar myth, akin to phrenology. It has no basis in scientific fact.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thank god! I had no idea, this comes as a great relief to me; substantial testing revealed that neither my right nor left hemisphere is responsible for most of my decision making process/perceptions.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

No, teachtaire. Odds are none of us can prove that we were in the program. The records for every student involved in the program are destroyed after 5 years of cessation of the service. Additionally, this information is kept in a separate G&T folder apart from the student's regular school file and is not typically transferred from state to state without parental authorization (hence why many report no longer being in the programs after an out-of-state move) with a few changes for children of active military personnel. The records for this program are kept separately and "under lock and key":

References
Page 15, Section 3.3 on this link: www.tsl.state.tx.us...-3
Page 14, 15, and 20 here: www.liberty.k12.ga.us...

So much for providing records, eh? Gives a whole new meaning for "this will not go on your permanent record".

I swiped test results from an odd ball teacher's desk and crumpled/stuffed it in my pocket when I was a teen but it doesn't even state what the test was so it's nothing to go off of. It's pretty old and faded (old bird) and is really lacking in the info department. Not down with scanning it to suit your whim either.
I do have video of me writing with both hands/different words but I'm also not down with people seeing me. Iow, what you're asking for is awfully intrusive to a poster's privacy and for what? To satisfy Teachtaire's whim/curiosity? We're not a freak show, tyvm.

I'm not sure how one's poetry or avatar can absolutely prove involvement either.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join