It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nutrition Idea that "Saved" My Life.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hi.

I'm happy to see another person that has found their way to a more healthy body.
I too have done so, as growing up as a fat kid. I saw this thread, thinking that there was something all new that someone has come up with, for some maybe, and that is good for them, but this is unfortunately not new for me and several people I know.

It's true that you should eat clean foods, I do that every day (while i'm not on vacation) everything is clean, salads with tuna and loads of other stuff, and I work out 4 days a week for about 1 hour (i'm not sitting still all day, but if I had an office job i'm pretty sure that this same lifestyle would give me the same result). I see results as muscle growth and fat burn each moth going by, and the true secret is really that what you eat, is somewhere around 80% what you have to focus on when it comes to burn fat, no kidding, and i'm pretty sure that you have also found out that. And doing cardio exercise isn't all that alfa omega that everyone wants you to think, it's good, but it only burns the calories right there when you are doing it, work out with weights a lot, your muscles will burn your fat when they are building up after the excercise, when you are resting, sleeping, gaming, reading, so on.
It's all these little small things that needs to be done correctly, I drink proteinshakes every day to let my muscles build up as good as possible (which also will start a chain reaction of MORE fat burn).

I let myself have 2 (maybe 3) days each week where I eat whatever I want for dinner, (but only fast food once, kebab) and giving myself maybe some chips, or some bakery some hours before bed time. But the rest of the week it's only lean and clean food.
(My fat percentage? I don't know, quite low, I have come to the point where I can see the top of my abs, and the fat percentage on my arms are close to 1%)

I just felt that I had to share this, now that it is done, thank you for reading.

|.SLO7H.|

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I understand what your saying there's alot of different things that can be affected by unknown variables in different ways, but wouldn't healthy foods of a healthy diet only promote healthy hormone levels? would it not?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

First of all I'm 170 pounds of lean muscle, and have followed a diet similar to this for two and a half years now.

Second of all in the last post you didn't explain very clearly that people would eat less, I do agree with that, but fat also has over twice the amount of calories as carbs, so would they cancel each other out?

Third those clinical trials are false, controlled and rigged by the corrupt pharmacutical industry. You realize those clinical trials have to be approved by the FDA right, who on here really takes the FDA seriously, and if you don't think the Food and Drug Administration is corrupt don't get me started.

If you can't figure out carbs spike your blood sugar and make you gain weight your not very bright. Carbohydrates raise your insulin which is the hormone responsible for fat storage. Fat does not illicit and insulin response, and thus isn't stored as fat. Insulin then takes the glucose out of your bloodstream, and is converted go glycogen, which is stored in your muscles. Since your body can only store a limited amount of glycogen, the excess sugar will then be stored as fat.

Here go to this site and learn something.

www.diabeteshealth.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dkf89

DKF89, I'm glad someone can be the voice of reason in the case you're addressing.

I'll post more when I have more time. I have some comments to make on certain posts.

-TS

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If you don't like to take a walk, buy an exercise machine or a recumbent bike, then you can just exercise for however long you want, while watching your favorite shows.

Also, one of the keys to exercising is that it allows your food to go through your digestive system very fast. In reality, it's really calories consumed - calories spent - calories dumped = net calories. If you're exercising and not losing weight, then it is very likely that you haven't exercise till you can pass the whole meal away.

Finally, I would agree that three meals a day are WAY too much. Two meals per day are enough, especially if you're a girl.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69

Originally posted by wavemaker
Asians eat a lot of grains and rice in particular. Asians are mostly lean so eating grains can't be the culprit for the weight gain. The better suspect is the food intake of an individual. The more you eat, the bigger chances of gaining weight.

Exactly asians eat rice not wheat that is why they stay thin. Read the book "Wheat Belly" for more information on how wheat wreaks metabolic havoc on your body.

The OP said no grains. He didn't say no rice. I'm just pointing out that eating grains is not bad. Asians eat grains (rice) everyday and they don't become fat due to eating grains.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

My brother eats this diet, swears by it, keeps him lean and going strong. He won't touch a bean, potato, rice, bread, sweets, sodas, cakes cookies, etc. His wife got so used to cooking for him that way that now that is usually what she does for their boys a lot, too, although not so strict, they get bread with a sandwich for lunch, etc., but no junk or fast foods, really healthy. Their boys also don't sit around and play vid games and watch TV, they do sports, learn music, do science projects, go to the lake, to the ranch, to the ocean, play other types of games, get creative, explore the world and talk about it - it's a beautiful thing to see in this world today, especially in the US where being a child has really gone downhill for a lot of kids.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Although I don't know the average diet of an asian, they probably have a food supply that is less adulterated with toxic chemicals than in American food. Those toxic chemicals slow your metabolism down.

Another thing is rice and nearly all edible plant material has fiber in it which will prevent your blood sugar from raising too high. Only the processed grains that people love to eat doesn't have any fiber in it. If they eat less processed food they will be thinner.

And how do you even know that asians eat as many carbohydrates on average as an american does everyday anyways?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

This may be your answer, and apparently they exercise more too haha. www.marksdailyapple.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I love primal blueprint! I had been trying lots of other things that were really difficult to stick with - or made me feel bad after a while - and I feel fantastic on PB!

What has really blown me away is that I've been following the workouts, too, but I also do yoga. In yoga I feel very weak and can't do some of the positions. Now, very suddenly, I am doing things I've NEVER been able to do before! My strength & stamina are exploding. And in situations where I need to concentrate, I'm able to do so for long periods of time without getting tired or a headache.

No matter WHAT I do, though, I'm steadily losing around 1% body fat per week (this translates to roughly 2 pounds and 2 inches total from around my body). At this rate I'll hit my goal body fat by fall.

I was an undiagnosed Celiac for over 16 years - and I thought I felt better cutting out all gluten. But I was really amazed at how much MORE it helped to cut out the rest (corn, rice, beans). Not to mention the processed crap.

I can't say enough good about this way of eating, so I'll leave it there. I'm glad you are having such great success, OP!

ETA: marksdailyapple.com is a really great resource. You can figure out the plan from that and the downloads that come with the newsletter, with no need to buy anything unless you want to.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dkf89

White rice doesn't have much fiber in it, only brown rice does.

Asians just eat less calories in general. Also, if you're already big, then you're going to have to eat a lot more on average, just for metabolic processes alone, in that sense, cutting down portions won't work.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Im an ozzie living here in Tokyo, and ive shared the same experience.

In Japan, they have a wonderful alcoholic fruit flavoured soda called Chu-Hi. LOVE that stuff. I think my diet is reasonably health and i usually hovered around 80kg. BUT then i started drinking this awful sugary stuff, and was getting up to 2-3 litres daily. in two years i was nearly 100kg! so when i went back to australia for christmas, i decided i would stop drinking it and change to vodka soda. im guessing it helped because i dropped 10kg in four months with NO CHANGE TO MY LIFESTYLE!!

and what i believe also what helped me is my sister introduced me to gluten free (GF) eating. this had two benefits:

A) i could no longer eat bread and pasta and potato chips and snacks anymore, so it cut out a lot of carbs from my diet. i live in japan so rice was my mainstay, but still it was a large part of my diet gone. NO BREAD *cry* and...

B) after the initial two weeks of being GF, ive found that my appetite is MUCH smaller and im no longer "hungry". i put it in quotation marks because i still get a feeling in my tummy when it lets me know its empty, but nothing like the pangs i had before. im pretty sure its the gluten because a while back i caved and bought a delicious smelling french bread roll. my tummy hurt and the next morning i was SO HUNGRY!!

so in addition to almost eliminating carbs from your diet, i wonder if eliminating gluten also plays a hand in keeping healthy size. and its in EVERYTHING! or it may only be for gluten intolerant people?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Dear Truthseeker1984,

Firstly congratulations on "finding" this nutrition idea that saved your life.

Secondly.. have none of you starring and flagging people heard of the Atkins Diet?

en.wikipedia.org...

Like, seriously??????????????? Oh yeah right, I forgot.. American site.. *smirk*

*facepalm*

Keep calm and carry on.

T
edit on 4-6-2012 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Many of us have heard of Atkins.
It isn't a healthy, long term option though. Yes, you may lose weight, but your omega6 to omega3 ratios will be dangerously skewed.
It's also very boring and hard to stick with because it makes you feel rubbish.

Paleo allows you as much as you want of fruits, leafy veg and roots. So you get variety, nutrients and health. Not just weight loss over the short term.
Most people I know who are paleo after a month tend to stay paleo, even after their weight loss goals have been achieved. That should tell you something about it.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
Obesity is the cause of high insulin not the other way around. There is no evidence of high insulin causing causing weight gain. You can gain weight even on a totally carb free diet. Protein produces insulin as well and fat is able to store itself without insulin (acylation-stimulating protein).

The cause of high insulin is high blood sugar not obesity, and the cause of obesity is excess fat storage caused by high insulin levels. High blood sugar levels are toxic to the body and cause damage. Your body recognizes this so it releases insulin to bring down the blood sugar levels so your cells start taking in glucose and turning it into triglycerides also known as fat.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Think you missed the heavy sarcasm there SprocketUK.

Edited out the rest because it was unwarranted.

T

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Still missing it, fella. Mind you, my kids all say I'm a grumpy B.... so it may go some way to explain that.

Anyway, just to clarify, Atkins has some elements of paleo which explains how people lose weight, but it just ain't good for you in the long term.

Edited again...This is like a bloody circus.

To respond to your mail, The differences between the diets will be seen mainly in your blood chemistry and how you feel.

These days I get mad cos people bug me. Used to be I got mad cos my blood sugar was all over the place.
I've been on paleo for ages, never been much of a "fad diet" person, but reading Mark Sissons struck a chord and I tried it. Can't think of any time I've felt better as an adult.
I've so much energy I get the urge to go running now...haven't been like that in 20 odd years...No celebrity diet would ever have that effect.

To top it off, the food is great. Fish, game, grass fed beef...fantastic veg and fruit.

It has a massive following with all the crossfit crowd...it's not just fat heifers.

Finally, since you had the good grace to apologise, I shall too.

I shoulda let it slide, but I have a bit of a personality problem so sorry I bit at ya.

edit on 4-6-2012 by SprocketUK because: addendum

edit on 4-6-2012 by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Removed as context is gone. Thanks for the U2U SprocketUK

T

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good luck. I wouldn't include beer in my diet if I were in your situation, though. The more sacrifices you make, the better. Besides, there are so many other enjoyable things in your diet. You're not even vegetarian/vegan, or anything.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Isayeva because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If you read many of the posts you'll see that its not a case of suddenly finding anything, this isn't a get thin for summer kind of diet, its a change your life kind of thing. As others have said, a lifestyle.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join