It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nutrition Idea that "Saved" My Life.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by strato

Hey dumbass did you realize fat has more calories than carbs, the primal diet isn't a low calorie diet, you loose weight with a high fat and low carb diet even though fat has 9 calories per gram vs. carbs with 4 calories per gram, the key is fat doesn't spike your blood sugar hence where the problem lies. Why don't you figure some things out with simple logic, instead of taking things as being truth at face value being a sheep, without even minimal effort to see the truth or to figure out if any other points of view are correct or not . The sheep way of thinking is why the world has gone to #.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
dont forget fruit, fruit is a good way to keep things balance. U do not always need to cut sugar cold turkey to lose weight

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
dont forget fruit, fruit is a good way to keep things balance. U do not always need to cut sugar cold turkey to lose weight

Horrible idea if you're trying to lose weight.

Muscle does not have the necessary enzymes to synthesize fructose into glycogen; therefore the liver converts this fructose into liver glycogen. It would only take three, 8-ounce glasses of orange juice to fully replenish liver glycogen stores. Since the liver is responsible for supplying energy to the entire body, once its stores are full, a rate limiting enzyme in glucose metabolism, which is responsible for signaling the body to store glucose as glycogen or convert it to fat (phosphofructokinase), signals the body that all stores are full. If the glycogen stores are signaled as full, then the third way our body uses excess glucose is to convert it to fatty acids and store as adipose tissue. In essence, fruit sugar is easily converted to fat.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dkf89
reply to post by strato

Hey dumbass did you realize fat has more calories than carbs, the primal diet isn't a low calorie diet, you loose weight with a high fat and low carb diet even though fat has 9 calories per gram vs. carbs with 4 calories per gram, the key is fat doesn't spike your blood sugar hence where the problem lies. Why don't you figure some things out with simple logic, instead of taking things as being truth at face value being a sheep, without even minimal effort to see the truth or to figure out if any other points of view are correct or not . The sheep way of thinking is why the world has gone to #.

Actually it is a lower calorie diet because your body learns to live on less calories because the food you eat is more nutrionally dense.

A calorie is not a calorie, because of the effect certain macronutrients can have on your hormone levels. And, as we know now, hormone levels are king...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

People forget about probotics in food as well, those in raw vegs and fruit

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by strato
You just ended up eating LESS overall calories and that's it. It didn't have anything to do with the carbs. Calories in vs calories out is what determines fat loss. Nothing else. We call people who follow the primal diet paleotards. You don't need to eat paleo to lose fat.

This isn't true. For example, the food you eat affects the production of hormones in your body, like testosterone for example. Your body derives testosterone from cholesterol. Also, if you're not consuming iodine/iodide it will impact your metabolism from dimished t3/t4 production.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1
Hi Tyler,

I'm interested in what diet you used as I am currently dealing with MS through diet. I'm trying to ease on to the 100% raw and juice diet but find it hard to maintain over time. Would be really interested if you could share what diet you use.

much love and thanks

This book is what started it really, The MS Recovery Diet, once your symptoms take away something as simple as your sight changing your diet will be easy. Milk was hard, but the hippy substitutes make up for it.

And this woman was where I was headed, but after changing my diet I haven't had any problems for 8 1/2 months. If it's too strict people won't stay with it, that's why I'm not on the hardcore paleo diet, but it obviously worked for her. Doctors want you to take the shots, which don't work for everyone, but you can guess why.
YouTube: Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria
edit on 3-6-2012 by TylerKing because: You tube link didn't work

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with grains if they dont come through industrial process of refining especially rice.

edit on 3-6-2012 by shogu666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dkf89
reply to post by strato

I can tell that you are a 300 pound fat ass trying every latest dietary trick there is only to end up even fatter and more depressed.

You missed my point. People eat a lot less calories if they're told to cut carbs out of their diet. You are more likely to overeat on a high carb diet. Not easy to binge on raw stuff is it. Fat asses like you need diets like this to control their weak decision making skills. At the end it just comes down to calories in vs calories out.

Obesity is the cause of high insulin not the other way around. There is no evidence of high insulin causing causing weight gain. You can gain weight even on a totally carb free diet. Protein produces insulin as well and fat is able to store itself without insulin (acylation-stimulating protein).

So basically when you follow a primal diet you simply eat less because of the extremely restricted diet and also the extra protein (suppresses hunger).

If you think about it, you realize that you are the sheep, not me. Everything I said is based on clinical studies. Before you come back at me anything look it up on pubmed and don't base your arguments on someone's blog posts.

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by strato
You just ended up eating LESS overall calories and that's it. It didn't have anything to do with the carbs. Calories in vs calories out is what determines fat loss. Nothing else. We call people who follow the primal diet paleotards. You don't need to eat paleo to lose fat.

This isn't true. For example, the food you eat affects the production of hormones in your body, like testosterone for example. Your body derives testosterone from cholesterol. Also, if you're not consuming iodine/iodide it will impact your metabolism from dimished t3/t4 production.

Unless you have a condition or eat a ridiculous diet leading to micronutrient deficiencies, it has little significance.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What a lot of the non paleo people are missing is this.
Some of us have a reaction when eating neolithic foods such as grains, sugars etc. Which over time causes insulin and leptin resistance. This can cause a problem with over eating due to the body not being sated.
When we eat paleo, it restores the ability of the body to respond to insulin and leptin, meaning that we feel sated more easily, hence eat a bit less and lose weight until we reach our equilibrium weight.

Now, there will be those to whom a.neolithic diet will pose few problems because of whatever genetic variation they carry. It's analogous to lactose intolerance, really.

One last point, lots of neolithic foods have a high proportion of chemicals that can block the body's uptake of essential vitamins and minerals. Also, hi carb foods, like grains, potatoes and legumes give you way fewer nutrients than paleo alternatives. if you imagine a 500 calorie meal of pasta, potatoes or rice, there isn't much room for a whole bunch of minerals and things, yet try and imagine 500calories of spinach, kale, broccoli, tomato, onion, garlic, celery, sweet potato and coconut, with a few prawns....that's a hell of a lot of nutritious food in comparison. That's why paleo is so good.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
srzly this is like a never ending argument, everyone has a different philosophy, some say dnt eat eegg whites others say only eat yolk, geez, just eat what makes u happy people

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
muscle helps burn fat and it takes up less room: look at it this way .,...1 pound of fat =1 bag popped popcorn /
1 pound muscle= 1bag unpopped popcorn

that's why when your weight goes up a little but your clothes are looser,,,you gained a little muscle and lost a little fat

water aerobics...you burn twice as many calories in twenty minutes in the pool as you do doing the same exercise on land for 20 minutes, and it is a lot more fun and easier on the joints.

3500 calories = a pound so you want to get bang for your buck in exercise build muscle/ burn fat

for those who say all calories are the same, well your body doesn't handle them the same...If I eat some protein and veggies I am satisfied.........If I open a bag of cookies and eat 1 I can't stop and will eat the whole bag...must be from the big sugar rush, blood sugar level spikes.

edit on 3-6-2012 by research100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2012 by research100 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

Another factor is that if you eat too much protein, the body does not convert the excess to lipid and glycogen storage, hence the old stories about starving on rabbits..its not because they aren't nutritious, just that they tend to be almost exclusively protein.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Great Thread....I myself follow many of the principles outlined within the paleo diet. There are a few facts worth mentioning though. First and foremost all fat was not created equal. Organic grass fed and wild game meats have a better ratio of essential fats to saturated fats than grain fed animals. The fat in Grain(strictly carb) fed meats is primarily Palmitic acid(16 carbon chain saturated fat). So if you are eating conventional grain fed meats you are getting an unhealthy amount of one type of fat. Our body really needs lots of omega six fats for our phospholipids(lining every cell in our body), and omega threes for our brain and nervous system. When eating anything, always remember you are eating what it ate as well.

If there is any question which source of energy(carbs or fats) your body prefers just look at two simple facts. Your body can store enough fat to last you months, while it can store only enough sugar(as glycogen) to last you maybe one day. It stores fat as a triglyceride, which is three fatty acid chains to one glycerol molecule. Two glycerol molecules make one glucose molecule so your body can derive sugar from your fat stores as necessary, and at a ratio of one glucose to six fatty acids.The only mechanism in your body that requires sugar as an energy source is your blood plasma. The rest of your body runs better on fat and ketones(broken down fats). Another interesting fact is that fat enters the cells freely, while sugar requires an insulin chaperone. Here another one: The pancreas which makes insulin is structurally roughly half fat. In Fact your entire body, minus adipose tissue(bodyfat) and water weight(including your bones) is structurally 30 percent fat. Wanna know how many structural carbohydrates are in the human body? ZERO.

Carbs(sugars) feed every opportunistic infection(including cancer) in our body. It is a fact that cancer cells burn 5-10 times as much sugar as normal respiring healthy cells do. It is because their primary means of energy conversion is lactic acid fermentation. I believe that is the only reason chemo kills cancer first. It starves your whole body and as a result those greedy lazy no good cancer cells with their inefficient energy conversion mechanisms die off first. But the havoc and damage created by the chemo poison sets the body up for even more disease when the smoke clears.

Insulin is not just for carb burning. It is a sympathetic(fight or flight) nervous system stimulator as well. thats where the sugar highs and lows come from. Insulin is also growth stimulator causing endothelial proliferation, thickening the ling of your blood vessels and raising your blood pressure.

Utilizing carbohydrates as a primary fuel source is a recipe for disaster and contributes to more disease, aging, and obesity than any other known factor. Of course thats just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hi all,

I've only read a few pages but wanted to share my experience as well. I decided to go Paleo 3 1/2 weeks ago, just because it sounded like a good idea, and I'm always willing to try something to make me feel/look better. I've done cleanses, vegitarian, wheat free, vegan, french, meditarian and probably some others that I can't remember. I was a bit over weight, 211 on my weigh in before I started, I should be around 195.

So I started on paleo, the first few days were pretty darn hard, my body was crying out for something, anything other than what I was eating, meat, veggies, some fruit some nuts. Also drinking, not a huge alcohol consumer, but a few a day, switching to just tea/coffee and water with lemon in it was hard too. But after 4 days or so my body stopped crying for this stuff and instead of asking for crackers and cheese, potato chips, bread, beer, and the like, it now wants water and a handful of nuts or raw vegetables.

My results have been like nothing else I have ever tried, I was loosing on average 1/2 pound a day for the first two weeks, and as of today I have lost 10 of the 15 pounds I wanted to loose. I can tell it was fat as most of it is around my mid section and this part has shrinked dramatically, down to the last notch in my belt going the right way! Also I work shift work, and I have struggled on the night shifts 20:00-04:00. After two weeks of this way of eating my last round of nights were a so much easier than I have ever had in the 6 years that I have been doing them. Not to mention that I wake up feeling great and through the day I don't have any feelings of starving even though I'm eating less.

Thanks for posting OP, and I hope you don't mind me sharing my story. The main difference on the paleo diet is that it isn't for a while, it isn't for until you loose the weight that you want to loose, it's a life style change and it's one that I for one will be sticking to for ever I think.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Wow is all I can say. Thank you for bringing this to attention as I never put two and two together. I've struggled with my weight since middle school and as a Native American I think the diet you talk about makes perfect sense regarding how our ancestors ate. I know personally my ancestors survived on rabbit and other game, nuts, and various foraged greens for the most part all within the desert and canyons. We didn't have the resources to grow many if any grains.

I used to be a really picky eater as a kid, I wouldn't eat my hamburger on a bun, I wouldn't eat sauce on my pasta, I loved meat, fruit, and ice cream....grains were okay to me. I was always a healthy weight, if not skinny up until around middle school. Middle school was a rough time and I turned to pasta as my comfort food and I'd eat it practically everyday. I was also very active in soccer, was on one of the best traveling teams for the state, so it's not like I was sitting on the couch everyday. By the end of 8th grade I put on about 30 pounds....because all I was eating was wheat and sugar. Since then I've always had a love for carbs and have had difficulty cutting back. I tore my ACL my senior year of high school and stopped physical activity which continued through college. At my heaviest I was 186 (I am 5'1" and female), but I started working out 3x a week with weight training and cardio and over the past couple years I've lost about 20 pounds.

I am now 25 and I've tried many portion control diets which haven't really worked (I stick to them but I hardly lose weight even with whole grain everything, diet sodas, lean meats, lite juices and the like). Your thread brought to light that maybe my body just isn't built to process wheat-based/cornstarch foods. I think your words are the first where they've inspired me to actually find the willpower to attempt to cut out the things I love to eat for the sake of my health, and I actually look forward to it! Thank you for the inspiration to try a new way of living.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Had to take a minute to thank you OP for making this thread! As I was reading through the beginning of your story, I kept asking myself 'I wonder if he is going to mention the Paleo/Primal lifestyle? Wouldn't that be awesome?!' for some reason, and shocked myself when you actually did. lol

I was introduced to the Paleo lifestyle (it is not a diet - it IS a lifestyle) when I was 4 months pregnant with my second child after having a scare with my blood sugar. My doctor started talking the possibility of insulin if things got worse, and it scared me straight because I wanted as natural of a pregnancy as possible with no pharma involvement. After researching, I stumbled upon Mark's Daily Apple, was fascinated with his site for hours, and ended up buying The Primal Blueprint on my Kindle that night and was hooked. I continued my pregnancy eating Paleo, and have done so with ease ever since. I have no desire for bread or pasta, which as an italian - is a pretty major statement because I honestly believe I was 'addicted' to both. I did the low carb/Atkin's diet after my first son was born, but it didn't seem to stick with me. In retrospect, it was because I still wasn't eating real food and allowed myself processed garbage because some of it was still low carb.

My daughter is now 7 months old, and I weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with her, and am down to a size 6 without much effort. I was a size 10 when I got pregnant with her, and was counting every calorie that went in my mouth and absolutely miserable with no energy. Also, I do not crave sugar anymore which is huge, huge, huge for me. There were mornings I would wake up feeling like I needed sugar asap. I was a terrible insomniac as well. Waking up at least 3-4x a night and needing an OTC sleeping pill to go to sleep or stay asleep. No more. My list goes on and on, truly..

I hope your thread will bring this to the attention of others as well. Paleo often get's confused as simply 'low carb' and as someone who did Atkin's in the past with temporary success - I can't tell you how frustrating it is for Paleo to be passed off as just another low carb diet. There is a massive wealth of information that people are missing out on when they assume so.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Thousands of people have discovered differently. Medical science is proving your brainwashing to be false as well. Listen, read and educate yourself. Your life and health are important.

Portion control, fat intake, calories, cholesterol... all the myths you have been taught are lies.

I have eaten as the OP is doing for 15 years. This is a proper lifestyle not a fad, very sustainable.

This video is very interesting. It is long, but well worth the time to watch...enjoy!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 1beerplease

I'd like to revise the link, because most people might not do the extra clicking to find the "beef" of the site, which is the advice.

Here's the link with the biggest chunk of valuable information:

Source

It's a very funny as well as informative guide. I disagree with him on milk for some reasons but I agree with him for other reasons. I believe raw milk may be healthy, but I believe heated milk of any kind is dead crap. On the other hand, would you be suckling on a cow or goat in the wild? I doubt it, or you'd get your head kicked soon enough. So, it makes sense to leave milk alone. Also, you wouldn't be suckling on your mother past a certain age either!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Forgive me as I haven't read the whole wall of text in the op, but after a quick skim, this has essentially been my diet since watching The Big Fat Fiasco. It's been a long running conspiracy involving the american heart association and a slew of medical researchers. It's essentially promoting the paleolithic or 'caveman' diet that we survived on until about 10,000 years ago. It makes so much sense medically that it's almost tragic that they still pump so much sugar into our bodies everyday. It's no wonder everyone's veins and arteries are becoming so scarred today, let alone the rampant presence of diabetes today.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join