It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nutrition Idea that "Saved" My Life.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yup

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

GRA: I should be a bit more clear with my ratios: I include protein and fats from protein in the 40 part of the 40/30/30. 40%= proteins and fats from them, 30%= veg, 30%= fruits, as the carbs from fruits is different from the carbs from veg....once again, it's all about the caloric context. Once I get the furnace truly burning, I'll be dropping the ratio of fruits to 20% and upping my veg to 40%. Fruit takes care of my sweet tooth, but according to some of the sites I've read, some forms of dark chocolate can actually be beneficial to you. I just don't really care for it.

And yes, 2000 calories of protein is almost impossible!
I eat a lot of different types of nuts and natural peanut butter for snacks, so that boosts my calorie count, hence hovering around 2000 calories a day. I should have been more clear with that.

I also agree that 2000 calories for someone that doesn't move at all is a bit too much. I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet all day whether in the classroom, or walking across the school to the copy machine (which is at the opposite end of where I teach.
). I'm usually walking all day and I constantly move around.

Hope that clarifies some things.

-TS

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

low carb is early death. the okinawan diet has been proven for nearly 100 years to be the best diet, there is only 6 percent fat and 9 percent protein, the other 80+ percent is carbs. They did replece much of the rice of the chinese diet with okinawan sweet potatoes however (all plants are carbs, not just the grain type plants. fruits and veggies are more sugar based than a slice of 21 grain bread, especially potatoes). I think yours may be a genetic problem. I am 5'7, weight 165 lbs, and eat over 500 grams of carbs everyday. I exercise 3 days a week.Been doing it a lot longer than a couple months too, try a few years. Again, I think it's just a difference in genetics.

en.wikipedia.org...

also, whole grains are the only way to soften your veins to negate the effects of hardening them through flouride, though hawthorne and grape seeds somewhat help.

The okinawans also consume virtually no eggs and dairy. How much protein you get is up to you, I try and keep it below 15 percent of calories consumed, mostly from diary based whey/casein protein shake (from muscle feast premium blend). I hardly eat meat, when I do it's small bird and fish/seafood. I occasionally eat eggs, I have 30 grams of the protein powder per day so that's all the dairy I get (I've replaced it with non-dairy 'milks' like almond milk or my favorite flax 'milk'. coconut milk is awesome too).
edit on 3-6-2012 by chi_z because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Thanks!

Yep, that is a different thing altogether, LOL!

There is some common vernacular among body builders and nutritionists and such, and they use the ratio of Protein:Carbs:Fats so I read your post that way. Thanks for clarifying.

Some others had mentioned the "fad" aspect of the high protein diets, so your post was a great way to take a jab at Atkins, so it worked out well.
Atkins and Miami Diet were fads, a high protein diet has been a staple for a healthy lifestyle for decades. It is important to draw a distinction between the fad diets, and a healthy lifestyle.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think anyone that starts up an exercise regimen, even if very mild (as it should be), including weightlifting, cuts out wheat-based carbs and relies on fruits and vegetables for the bulk of their nutrition is going to lose weight. Any diet plan I've seen pretty much gets to that same scenario one way or another. It's certainly the same as Adkin's.

Even Weight Watchers is, essentially, the same. On WW, you can eat plenty of meat if you choose, as long as you're getting in your fruits and vegetables and are not splurging in other areas. The main difference would be reasonable portions.

A lot of eating plans allow grains and stuff, but there's typically "a lot of buck for the bang." In other words, you sacrifice in other areas if you choose to eat carb-rich foods. I would imagine they try not to forbid them because the modern diet is so reliant on them, but as others have mentioned, without the exercise to get rid of these bloated calories, they turn to fat.

As is always the case, it seems the best approach for the average person is some sort of moderation. To the ordinary person, giving up pasta, potatoes, bread, etc. for life is not a viable option. And most people eventually get tired of the seemingly awesome unlimited meat plan. So they must find an accommodation for a well-rounded diet which is going to require increased exercise, a massive decrease in portion sizes and the elimination of daily, habitual overdosing of sugar (any kind of breakfast/energy/nutrition bar, candy everyday, most cereal, regular and diet sodas, muffins/donuts, fruit juices with added sugar (which is most), etc.).
edit on Jun 03 2012 by Hadrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I do not have time to read all that has been posted, but I have read Marks apple. Something which has had a dramatic effect on my weight has been dropping my sodium intake to less that 1000mg/day. To achieve this I must drop my serving sizes, which averages 3 oz/meat(fish, beef, chicken or egg) per meal. Since March 17th, I have lost 25 pounds from 205# to 180#. I am adding this only to perhaps help with your journey. Carry on.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i want to bring up a food that i use on weight loss,

white corn chip,

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Actually the food pyramid is a combo FDA/dairy corporation scam to make people think they need that stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
i want to bring up a food that i use on weight loss,

white corn chip,

Not bad, definitely better than potato chips or crackers.

I've been eating nut crackers. No wheat, a little extra protein, and they are extremely crunchy which satisfies your cravings and hunger a little better. The brand I like so far is Mary's Gone Crackers. They sell them at Publix.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I'm sure there is a carb-cut chip out there, I'm not big on chips, but these kinda are good with salsa. If i want i can add beans (refried or black/navy/red) on them
I lost 40 pounds,

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just some things i wanna point out:
Somatotypes (you claimed to be an endomoprh) in that sense do not exist, it has nothing to do with fat retention, if anything its about skeletal structure.

Weight lifting better mean Heavy compounds (deadlifts, squats, bench press, OHP, Rows, Cleans, etc..) Or you arent going to see any results from your weight training. And finally, if you want to go further with carb reduction, you could try a ketogenic diet which is where your body burns fat for energy instead of carbs.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Urgh, I hate these threads. Guys, one diet isn't for everyone. I can't digest meat well at all, so I only eat it once a day, some days I don 't eat it at all. I also do Hot Yoga 6 days a week (sometimes 7). My issues have always been with sugar and I think I honestly have an addiction to it, however, I have tried the Paleo diet. I was constantly ill and had heartburn far worse then what I usually have. Meat and me don't agree.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Grains and beans, are massively inflammatory in the human body.
reply to post by dasman888

This is interesting. It goes along with the part of the book I'm reading, Power Up Your Brain where it is said that inflammation in the brain is the leading cause of many brain degenerative diseases.

As I was thinking of this something interesting popped into my head. Is seems over the last decade or so, as we have been increasingly and publicly distraught over corporate treatment of our meat supply that we have been led steadily away from meat product and more toward grain products. They already had control over the meat supply, but we didn't like what we were seeing when we learned of the inhumane treatment, the feed these animals were being forced and all of the poisons being injected into them. They knew a long time ago that they were going to need to change tactics. Now They have the same kind of control over a less-animate, even more easily controlled and probably cheaper food supply (plant-based) and have been touting it as the new healthy for quite awhile now. The majority of people will not be up in arms over the treatment of something without a face. Someday the cry may go out for PEOPLE as the ones being inhumanely treated, force-fed and poisoned, but for now the corporations probably feel they've bought themselves a few more decades--maybe more if this genetic/chemical/neurological control pushes humans even further into complacency.

I'm diffidently not intending to sound negative. This is just the connection I made to grains and beans being inflammatory and how much that affects the way our bodies and minds function. And if you were to read that book--all the other connotations this healthy mind/body denotes.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

GRA: The Atkins fad was never meant to be a "cure-all" to obesity. With the lack of essential fibers gained from plant matter, it increased the chances of high cholesterol and heart disease later in life. It was a quick solution to lose copious amounts of weight, only to gain it back months later. I did this and I couldn't stick with it. My father is another perfect example. His weight has rollercoastered for the majority of his mid-adult life. He'd go on Atkins for 6 months, get tired of it and then binge on carbs for a few weeks. He would gain all the weight back. The same goes for South Beach or any of the other fads out there. Those things are set up so you lose the maximum amount of weight, buy all their expensive food products (which are laden with sugar), and then balloon right back up after you get off of them, only to complete the cycle again. I've found that this lifestyle change has given me the ability to break that cycle and have a sustainable nutritional living.

To those that say that this is another Atkins fad, it's really not. 100-150 g of carbs a day is NOT what Atkins recommended. He stated that one should consume no more than 20-30 grams a day, everyday, for the entirety of the diet. You'd get sick of spinach awfully quick living that way. And I am also not limited in the variety of foods that I can eat. I eat very well each day, and I have a nice variety of different foods. No need to go to specialty stores. Everything is available at the corner market. I urge those of you who doubt this to do some research on the topic. I wouldn't have even started this lifestyle if I couldn't sustain it, considering I'm living on substitute teacher wages.

-TS

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Diet change is fun, you really have to look at it in another perspective, you won't be perfect and its extremly graudal. Mean, i need some sugar, low blood sugar. Ontop of that I am addicted to fast food and energy drinks. I stop fast food (for the most part) and I drink the dreaded diet energy drinks.

For sweet tooth, eat dark chocolate (few pieces, daily), fruit
For carbaholics, white chips and salsa
For fat eaters, nuts

water water water!
edit on 3-6-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't care what anyone says, but if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight, simple as that. And yes, portion control is a big part of that. Unless you are a freak of science, it's impossible to take in LESS calories than you burn, and GAIN weight. Scientifically, it can't be done. If you could, we'd have discovered a perpetual energy source.

It's possible to gain weight while eating less calories than you are burning - but that's from gaining muscle mass. Which is just fine. Having more defined muscles burns more calories than not. Muscles weigh more than fat. Usually though, you lose weight even though you are gaining muscles.

You can be UNHEALTHY if you too much of a bad sort of food. You could still lose weight if you ate McDonalds every day.. but still burned more calories than you ate in McDonald's food. However, you may not be very healthy for doing so. So yes, you want healthy food AND exercise.

But as much as I keep hearing it - and we had another thread where someone insisted exercise wasn't the answer - it's just not true. If you EXERCISE and burn MORE calories than you TAKE IN, you will lose weight, it's guaranteed.

Instead of depriving yourself of good foods - eat them. In moderation. Exercise. Enjoy life - it's insane that people suffer by eating like rabbits, when they could eat normally AND be quite fit. Exercise is the key to everything.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Antonia, I never claimed it was. Check the disclaimer at the beginning of the first post.

Some people handle meats better than others. I for one cured my chronic acid reflux by switching to this lifestyle. It will work with some and not others. I posted it because I'm sick and tired of hearing that portion control and counting every last calorie are the only tried and true methods to losing weight and keeping it off. There are other tested options, such as the one that I presented, that have a much higher success rate than the government food pyramid.

-TS

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm still waiting on a nutritional soda, Monster protein rehab, almost did it

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

fleabit, read my post a page back. The context of calories is important in gauging how much you take in. There are different types of calories that most people don't want to recognize. I've been using myself as a guinea pig for over a year, as I've struggled with my weight for the majority of my life. The calories in, calories out thing isn't the be-all-end-all to weight loss. And like I said, I have an extremely varied diet that isn't all "rabbit food." I can't stomach most "tasty foods" anymore (aka: doughnuts, pizza, etc.). They give me an upset stomach, make me feel horrible, and contribute to my acid reflux returning. I haven't had any of those problems since I switched.

But to each their own.

-TS

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

The cravings will come! And they will be monstrous, especially the first time! When someone is used to 5 or 6 thousand cheap calories per day, and they cut back to 1500 or 2000, and when their body is used to simple sugars all day, and they cut back to complex or fat or protein, then it feels great for a few days, and then your body gets pretty demanding about what it WANTS! Your enzymes and processes have aligned themselves for your usual diet, and all those things are standing by with nothing to process, while other less efficient processes are being overworked, and your body will send signals to make you fix what it sees as a problem. They sugar cravings can be VERY INTENSE!

To combat them you have to trick yourself by drinking lots of water and eating often to stabilize the insulin and keep your belly full. You also have to find interesting tastes that will stimulate your taste buds. Hot Sauce, crunchy things, salty things, etc. (NOT artificial sweeteners, that only makes the cravings worse.)

As the body adjusts its processes and enzyme levels to keep on hand the stuff it needs and discard the stuff it is no longer using, then the cravings start to get easier and easier.

For me, about 3-5 weeks into eating healthier is when my body really decides it is going to DEMAND some sugar. I can appease it with a little honey in my coffee, or some dark chocolate frozen and shaved off in small bits.

I have to admit though, I fell off the wagon real bad for the past 3 weeks, gained back 5 lbs, and felt like shyte. I have now been eating healthy again for 2 days, and I'm already feeling better.

ALSO, important to note, when I eat healthy, my whole family eats healthy. When I eat bad, my whole family eats bad. I usually prepare the meals, and I usually pick the restaurants. Sometimes it isn't just ourself we have to worry about. Sometimes we need to stay disciplined to serve as an example to those around us.
edit on 3-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join