It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nutrition Idea that "Saved" My Life.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

First off, S&F for the post, very well put together.

It's so blatantly obvious the way things are put together sometimes isn't it? That the simple truth can be right there to see, and yet people don't really see it for what it is. The old food pyramid is always "eat your bread, start your day off with cereal and toast," and while 30 years ago it was probably less harmful, the introduction of these fake sugars into almost everything we eat has seen the weight gain epedemic become a problem throughout the modern world.

Like you, I have always see-sawed with weight, due to different factors. Depression, lack of time, general tiredness all have an impact on your overall willingness to eat right and exercise.

What I found, was if you want to lose weight, or even just improve your health, it's not so much a case of what you eat, more how much you eat. Swapping this for that in your diet, changing how it's cooked, and of course changing the portion sizes you are used to can have a dramatic effect on your weight gain or loss.

Simple exercise also has it's benefits. It's sometimes not a matter of slugging it out at the gym or running a marathon everyday, sometimes it's deciding to walk to the shops or down to the school instead of driving. My silly secret is spending half an hour boxing on the Wii every day. It's good cardio if you really get into it. When you're walking, try running for 50 metres or so at a time. You eventually find yourself running the whole way.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I fell off the wagon, and I immediately started feeling sluggish.
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have noticed that too. About a week ago we had company and decided to get some pizzas (and Lordy do I love pizza). Man, it was tasty....But the next morning, I felt sluggish and crappy. Since I also have rheumatoid arthritis, I noticed that my joints hurt and felt stiff. Lesson learned!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Same here Fission, and I'm glad that I've finally found something that works for me. While I don't necessarily buy into everything that the blog in question promotes, I've found other blogs on the topic of the paleo/primal lifestyle that are more forgiving. I more or less used that blog as a stepping stone to find my own balance.

In my own personal experience, grains are my immediate enemy. Some people can handle and metabolize them very well, but I cannot. Being that I come from a family that likes their bread, potatoes, pastas and other such things, I figured out the cause of my weight throughout my entire life. Cutting those out immediately changed everything.

I wish you luck in your journey through this process. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

-TS

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Yep, exactly. It hurts a little right off the bat with the bloating. But then it affects your sleep, and it affects your joints. I wake up the next morning still tired, my lower back hurts, my eyes are dry, and it takes all day to get going.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Spot on, great thread and speaking from experience i'm in total agreement!

Grains bloat me, a high carb diet makes me feel weak, makes me obese because I am never full, and mentally clouds my thoughts etc etc

A high protein diet for some reason gives me really good mental clarity, more energy, I sleep less, I lose weight, I don't bloat, honestly it's literally a lifesaver like you say, I can't say enough good things about it!

Having said that, carbs and grains are so in your face it's not an easy ride! and sometimes all you want is some mashed potato or cheeseburger and chips! and if you give in to those temptations it can't half throw you off into being a high carb junkie once again! ..... or is that just me?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Vitamin B complex is found in meat, fish, eggs and dairy. The real problem with the low carb diet is getting enough C and enough fiber, I have found. Vitamin C supplements and extra veggies takes care of that problem.

www.livestrong.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by valiant

Having said that, carbs and grains are so in your face it's not an easy ride! and sometimes all you want is some mashed potato or cheeseburger and chips! and if you give in to those temptations it can't half throw you off into being a high carb junkie once again! ..... or is that just me?

I find in this case, it's easier to give in. I know that sounds bad, but sometimes you just want that junk. The trick is to not overdo it. If you feel like McDonalds or a chocolate bar, then just go and get one small bar, or one small cheeseburger. Eventually what happens is your body takes in the crap food, and kind of "rejects it." I actually did that a couple of days ago, I wanted mashed potato. One potato, with a bit of milk, and loaded the rest of the plate with cauiflower. The trick of colour somehow worked, and I got my junk fix and still managed to get most of the vegies in with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Oh Fission, I know EXACTLY how that goes. I was at a rock concert a few weeks ago, and slummed it on a buddy's couch for the night. We had a craving for late night munchies (something I never do anymore, but considering how much moshing and dancing we did, I felt like I had deserved it), and we ordered a thin-crust pizza. It was the tastiest thing I had in a long time, but I paid for it for the entirety of the next day. I didn't sleep well, I had trouble with certain bathroom functions, and I was very sluggish. My joints also hurt for a long time (but I attribute that to getting pretty well bashed up in the mosh pit). I told him that we're both getting too old to be doing that sort of stuff....

I've had my moments of driving by McDonald's and wanting so badly to go destroy a double quarter-pounder, just from the smell alone. I quickly realize, however, that the smell coming from the building is from the chemicals that they put into their deep fryers as a way to entice people into stopping in and buying their slop. Movie theaters use the same compound in their oil for the popcorn poppers (I worked at one about six years ago, and the day our ventilation system went haywire, we lost about 70% of our profits that day because the vents weren't pumping the smell of freshly popped popcorn into the theaters) to entice people to buy popcorn. Once you realize the manipulation tactics, it's easier to resist these junk foods.

I'm glad everybody is getting something out of this thread. As one of the posters said, sometimes things are so blatantly obvious that it's hard to overlook.

-TS

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Trexter, like another poster said, I fill that with eggs, fish, and other assorted proteins high in Vitamin B. Fats created from animals is actually encouraged in this life style. I buy a specific brand of 100% butter, and cook a lot of stuff in that. I also use the "Smart Balance" brand of cooking oil for salad dressings and for frying things as that gives me a well-rounded solution to the various fats and oils that one should be consuming.

You're right in that potatoes have good nutrients, but the starch content makes those benefits pale in comparison. I stick with a few sweet potatoes a week, and that takes care of that.

Believe me when I say that I did a lot of research before I went into this undertaking. I've managed to find compensation in other areas since I no longer eat wheat/grains. Like I've said in other posts, my body doesn't handle grains, so I've cut them out, and it's worked.

I get the rest of my vitamins through the intake of various types of veg and fruits. I use A LOT of hot sauce, which is very high in vitamin C, so I've not had a problem keeping up with that.

I've lost 14 lbs. since this change in lifestyle, where I stalled out at somewhere between 236-238 before. It might not be for everybody, but it's definitely for me.

GRA: You can do it! Just get back on the wagon and realize what you are doing it for. Your body will thank you later. If you realize the manipulation tactics that food companies use, you'll soon realize that your willpower is stronger than you previously thought. Thank you so much for your comments. I'm hoping more people will see this and get inspired to make some changes. I also hope that people will see that I'm not "fatty bashing," as I was there at one point too. I just want to help make some changes.

-TS

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A couple of comments:

Try cooking with coconut oil. It tastes amazing, especially with seafood and is wonderful for your health. Also I avoid grains just as you do. You may in fact be gluten intolerant as so many people are now due to our awful food supply.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Yep, when she told me that meats and such had vitamin B - I checked it out online and starred her.

I learned something new today which is good.

I agree that a diet that works for you is what you should stick with.

For me, the only thing that ever made me lose weight was dropping DIET Coke and switching to plain Coca Cola. Then, I stopped all Cola and didn't lose an ounce from that. I didn't lose an ounce dropping sugar from tea and coffee. I didn't drop an ounce deleting creamer from coffee. I didn't lose an ounce dropping ALL fats from the diet either. My cholesterol actually INCREASED in a full year of ZERO meat and fats! My Father's as well. The only thing that will drop any weight on me is aspartame and some other artificial sweeteners and STRESS will do it to me. Exercise has no effect. I figure my body chemistry is weirded out though compared to others.

So, what works for you is best for you.

For me, give me more STRESS!

edit on 2/6/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: typo

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hahaha! Stress makes me put ON weight. The cortisol produced by stress normally adds tons of fat to the system. It's so interesting that it has the opposite effect on you! Thanks for all of your posts!

-TS

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Try stevia, it is a plant based sweetener that is much better for you than aspartame. It is sold in most stores as Truvia.

The idea that fat makes you fat is the biggest food myth ever sold to the American public.

The OP is on the right path. Get away from carbohydrates, especially white foods.

Eat meats, veggies and healthy fruits such as berries. Nuts are great for you as well.

Most don't have a clue about oils which are good for you and an important part of your diet. Olive oil is good, but not cooked! The best oils to cook with are walnut and coconut.

Trans fats and HFC are poison and in almost everything you eat. Shop the edges of the grocery store, and avoid all the processed crap!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

A couple of comments:

Try cooking with coconut oil. It tastes amazing, especially with seafood and is wonderful for your health. Also I avoid grains just as you do. You may in fact be gluten intolerant as so many people are now due to our awful food supply.

COCONUT!!! EEWWWWW!!!!!

Sorry, I just have nightmares about opening a box of chocolates and having the whole damn thing filled with nothing but coconut cream chocolate. I'm using the "Smart Balance" oil, and I find it has a great taste, especially when frying up some sweet potato or lemon garlic salmon. If coconut oil wasn't so expensive, I'd be using it to cook all the time.

I've thought many times about being gluten intolerant, but I've never had any G.I. troubles from that, nor any of the physical side effects of being gluten intolerant. The only thing I do is gain weight. I may decide to get tested one day, just to see.

-TS

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Shopping the edges of the grocery store as you said is 100% ME! My spouse shops only the middle aisles of poison. I was telling him the same thing about shopping just the edges. Looks like my shopping trick isn't a secret trick afterall.

I agree about the fat too - 100% completely.

About a month ago I heard transfat was bad; so, have been watching for that.

Thank you for the stevia/Truvia tip - I don't have anything in my diet that requires sweeteners though, so, I guess I could try looking for my sugar-free gum with Truvia in it. Thank you!
edit on 2/6/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Ketosis rocks. Last year for one month I busted a no carb diet & lost 30lbs in 4 weeks. I didn't maintain though, as soon as the month was up I went back to my old ways. Now I'm in my second week of a low carb diet and the 2 major things for me was I stopped snacking through out the night (I'm a night owl) & stopped drinking soda. The thing I'm delighted about is I no longer have the craving or compulsion to eat every few hours. I can go through the whole night & day with out any hunger pangs.

The first time I did it last year was just an experiment to see if it would work & it was heavily restricted, I lived off of 2 cans of tuna a day. This time around I'm gonna be more leniant as in more food options & instead of no carb it will be low carb with the long run & mantinence in mind. After about the second week of ketosis it's amazing how quickly the fat melts off you.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I understand this diet and can see the health benefits but what if your not trying to cut weight? What if your trying to gain weight?

What about chloresterol? wouldn't eating alot of meat lead to higher risk of heart attack?

I'm just trying to understand this better.

For some reason I want to say that the rest of the world eats alot of grains and have for the last couple thousand years and their not fat.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Here here! I was diagnosed with Collagenous Colitis just before Thanksgiving last year. I went gluten free right after New Years. I have been running about 4 days a week, but had slacked off recently, because of my on-call duty which leaves me craving sleep, so I was feeling guilty and decided to go see my doc because I assumed I must be gaining weight. That is what has always happened in the past, if I slacked on my training.

So, I go in today, and come to find out, my BMI is lower right now than it was last October, when I was 2 pounds lighter! My doc says I do not need to change anything - I have gained lean muscle mass and lost fat. And here I thought I was slacking!

The only change I can think of is going gluten free. I too, however, love micro-brews, and that is the only thing I still consume that contains gluten. I tried the gluten free beers, some were good, but I am still able to consume regular beer, so as long as that is possible, I'm afraid I need to stick with my yummy micro-brewery beers.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I always argued this stupid government pyramid chart with health teachers and Nursing, even more so when I learned CARBS (GRAINS) break down into GLUCOSE(SUGAR!). I always told them it was WAYYYYY illogical...I hardly eat any carbs...Love potato chips though, but don't eat them often I also think unadulterated sugar breaks down better and faster than carbs (think about it carbs take twice the amount of time because the body has to break it down to sugars then it has to process the sugars) I think I'd rather just cut out all the extra processes. JMO. And I have always been thin. I do however ingest a lot of soda (read High Fructose Corn Syrup) but I guess not way too much.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Great post. Very good story to hear, not unlike myself, except I didn't gain any weight, I just ate flat out unhealthy.

I think you'll enjoy a book called "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Dr. Weston Price. It was published in the 1930s, and it's about a dentist who goes around to all these isolated areas of the world where the people, typically indigenous tribes, would produce or find their own food. He compared these isolated groups to others who had been exposed to processed foods at the time (white flour, american butter and milk, sugar, etc), using their teeth as the primary focus. He speaks of other health aspects, indcluding intelligence, but the focus remained in facial and dental structure. It's very very interesting when you see how the indigenous/isolated diets produced two notable results: Perfect teeth and amazingly nutritious food(Especially when the diet consists of mostly fats).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join