It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Drugs, Fresh Hope for Autism Patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Swiss drugmakers Novartis International AG and Roche Holding AG, as well as privately held Seaside Therapeutics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, all have drugs in late-stage tests targeting Fragile X syndrome, the most common form of inherited intellectual disability and the most common known genetic cause of autism. And though Fragile X accounts for only a small percentage of autism patients, early studies suggest the drugs may work in other forms of autism, too. If the current trials show enough benefit to satisfy U.S. regulators, the first drugs could be available in a few years. And if that happens, they will serve a growing population. The latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that as many as 1 in 88 children in the United States has autism, a near-doubling of the rate reported in 2002. Even so, the number of studies of the drugs remains small, and the trials themselves have been relatively small. Of those that have been completed, the effect has been dramatic in some patients but negligible in others.

Immaculate timing... apparently when the drug is stopped the symptoms return... I can only imagine the time spent in smokey rooms figuring out how to profit from a psuedo-cure for Autism. Here's the million dollar question, with the growing proof of vaccines being linked to Autism, is this going to be provided for free to those exposed? Highly doubt it. Wonder how much this miracle will cost...and what other sort of problems will arise from it...thoughts?

Source

God knows I want a cure, but I remain skeptical.
edit on 2-6-2012 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yes lets use our kids as guinea pigs ! Sign me up. Who cares about the risks and long term health. They said it was good on TV.....

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Yes lets use our kids as guinea pigs ! Sign me up. Who cares about the risks and long term health. They said it was good on TV.....

Precisely...I see this going the way of the Gardasil vaccine and swine flu vaccines...I sense trouble.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Gardasil was the most frightening one for me. Teen girls having side affects and it could be pinpointed.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ill take a shot in the dark for pricing; you're first born child, two toes, one leg, half of you're most dominate arm and seven hair follicles.

As for this psudo cure, if it works while on the medication, it trully is remarkable. However, we all know that remarkable in terms of health/medicine isnt cheap. It'll cost 11c to make but cost us paying for it 20000% mark up.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There is so much BS concerning autism, just last night I watched a docu about star children and they were trying to suggest that abductions and upgrading of dna are the cause of autism - upgrade!!

We all know the main cause of autism, vaccines.

I'm always amazed how people say "There's no link".

There's FAR more reason to believe vaccines cause autism than there is to believe vaccines even work.

Why should we belive vaccines work, after all, theres no link is there.
edit on 2-6-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My son was diagnosed with a post MMR Vaccine Reaction along with his Autism, as well as a Metabolic Disorder. Funny, eh?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I,m a lot about taking over these wicked companies ...sorry to say,a few penny's is all...can't say any more cause the fuse is burning me finger

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
vaccines are administered around the time kids first start showing signs of ASD, so the "conclusive" proof that autism comes from vaccines may merely be a logical fallacy. associations are not necessarily linked to causations.

treatment options are quite expensive atm, as my monthy medications bill would be over $500 without insurance (and i'm barely on anything). i need an eeg, but i might not have enough money, so i get to enjoy lovely seizures *sarcasm*.

i'm all for anything that will help, but the prevalence of fragile x syndrome is very low, and i'm guessing this treatment will be very pricy. bastards.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Small point of contention, but they never once claimed it was a cure. It's a drug to manage the symptoms, not to treat what's actually causing them. Most drugs operate in the same fashion. As for scheming to make money off of it; well, that seems obvious. If it effectively treats the symptoms with minimal side effects, it would make life more manageable for a great deal of people. Pain killers, for the record, work in the exact same way - they get rid of the pain, but don't treat what's actually causing the pain - so the concept is really not as far-fetched as you seem to be implying.

A cure for the particular type of autism they describe (caused by Fragile X syndrome) would, I should think, require gene therapy to permanently reverse the effects. It is unlikely that any such 'cure' would be available in the near future.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

anther pharma scam to rip you off.

vitamin d in mega doses does much better...

go to the vitamin d council website...

new topics

top topics

join