Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Noticing an increase in NZ, OZ and Brit Zombies in and around our bakery. Need Feeding Advice.

page: 1
3

log in

join

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Recently we have been noticing an increase in NZ, OZ and Brit Zombies in and around our bakery. At first there were only a few and they kept their distance across the parking lot. They were usually observed in groups of 3 or 4 communicating amongst themselves while balancing on their mountain bikes and flipping their dread locks to and fro. Quite harmless actually...until recently that is.

Their numbers are increasing and every once in awhile, one or 2 will stumble in and look at me with their glassy eyes and just utter the words..."Meat Pie". I thought this was a little strange at first. Every one of them saying the same thing..."Meat Pie". So I naturally try to communicate with them if only to keep them calm.

I say "Apple Pie" while holding one in front of them. Nope. "Meat" they say. hmmmm...

So again I try "Blueberry" ..."NO!" comes the answer..."Meat!!" So now I'm getting a little nervous as a few more of them come up to me to observe the goings on.

So I try one last time..."Huckleberry!" Never should have done that. "MEAT!!!!!" comes the reply. Angry, salivating and looking a little gaunt as well. I'm guessing that it's been awhile since they have had any of their preferred diet.

Now one of them hasn't turned completely and can utter a few words that I can understand. He says in a whisper..."If you chop up an animal and put some of the body parts on a plate, cover it with dough, they'll be happy and go away" I'm thinking he's off his lid.

He says "No, really. It'll keep them calm and whenever they come back, just wave one under their nose and you'll be a God". Well, sounds good to me.

So I'm asking all ATS members from OZ, NZ and Brit...What do you feed your Zombies? I need simple recipes because my local zombies will be happy with something from home and I just want to keep them happy...


Something from mom? Your favorite?

Not just the MEAT part but spices used, cooking times, a special pastry etc.

Any input would be appreciated and at least I can keep the zombies at bay for a little longer if I can give them their favorite Meat Pie like mom used to make....


Peace

ETA: I am truly looking for meat pie recipes so I'll clarify THERE ARE NO REAL ZOMBIES! Just had to say that as I can now see where this might go...



edit on 2-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This isnt in jokes section and is making me worried.



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
There's a simple trick. Continue to sell normal food. That will keep them away.

As soon as you start giving in to their demands, such as putting vinegar on fries, you are doomed. They will stomp your place into the ground.

You might want to try laying a trail of greasy bacon with some mushy beans to the next cliff in order to achieve a lemming effect. Might be your only chance.



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


hmmm... well, remember, these are the people who eat FLESH! and brains, so i would serve them raw meat to start off. also, if you start feeding them something they like there going to keep coming back probably wantiing the same thing, so make sure its something that is easy to buy and large in stock. And PLEASE!!! Keep us updated with number of zombies, increase or decrease, because this is a huge topic on ats. Thanks!



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
This isnt in jokes section and is making me worried.


Because I'm a baker and I am truly looking for recipes for my customers. Thought I'd lighten it up a little.


Don't worry, no REAL zombies...


Peace



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 



Australian Meat Pie Recipe courtesy Ken Addington, Executive Chef, Eight Mile Creek Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:40 min Level: -- Serves: 2 (8-inch) meat pies Ingredients 3 pounds beef chuck, diced 1/2-inch cubes 1/2 cup flour 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 onion, diced 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon celery seed 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup soy sauce 4 cups beef or chicken stock 4 sheets puff pastry 1 egg, beaten, to glaze crust Black pepper Directions Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Dredge beef in flour and sear in oil in a hot pan. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 4 more minutes. Add the spices, Worcestershire and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is almost dissolved. Add the stock and cook until the meat is coated in thick gravy. Transfer to a container and cool. Roll 2 sheets of pastry to 1/2-inch thickness. Line 8-inch tart molds with the rolled pastry. Line the pastry with tin foil and prebake for about 8 minutes. Let cool. Roll out the remaining pastry sheets and cut lids for the pies. Fill baked shells with the meat mixture and cover with the cut pastry lids. Attach lids with egg wash. Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown.



For the Brits, just cook the meat until it is unrecognizable and leave out all seasonings

www.foodnetwork.com...
edit on 2-6-2012 by Iamschist because: Oh yes I did



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Simply make a soup or stew and stick it in a pie
Steak and kidney
Steak and onion
Steak and mushroom
Steak and ale/Guinness
Steak ( or replace any with plain beef )
Chicken and mushroom
Chicken and leak
Chicken and veg

Just a meat in a gravy stuck in a pie
With a savoury/plain pastry

Can be as simple as some cooked chicken, a tin of condensed chicken soup

Right upto home made from a rue chicken stock white sauce

Go crazy and corner the market lol !



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
Simply make a soup or stew and stick it in a pie
Steak and kidney
Steak and onion
Steak and mushroom
Steak and ale/Guinness
Steak ( or replace any with plain beef )
Chicken and mushroom
Chicken and leak
Chicken and veg

Just a meat in a gravy stuck in a pie
With a savoury/plain pastry

Can be as simple as some cooked chicken, a tin of condensed chicken soup

Right upto home made from a rue chicken stock white sauce

Go crazy and corner the market lol !



Thanks for that!

I've also noticed on the net that some are made with puff pastry...which do you prefer?

Peace



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by jude11
 



Australian Meat Pie Recipe courtesy Ken Addington, Executive Chef, Eight Mile Creek Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:40 min Level: -- Serves: 2 (8-inch) meat pies Ingredients 3 pounds beef chuck, diced 1/2-inch cubes 1/2 cup flour 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 onion, diced 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon celery seed 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup soy sauce 4 cups beef or chicken stock 4 sheets puff pastry 1 egg, beaten, to glaze crust Black pepper Directions Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Dredge beef in flour and sear in oil in a hot pan. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 4 more minutes. Add the spices, Worcestershire and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is almost dissolved. Add the stock and cook until the meat is coated in thick gravy. Transfer to a container and cool. Roll 2 sheets of pastry to 1/2-inch thickness. Line 8-inch tart molds with the rolled pastry. Line the pastry with tin foil and prebake for about 8 minutes. Let cool. Roll out the remaining pastry sheets and cut lids for the pies. Fill baked shells with the meat mixture and cover with the cut pastry lids. Attach lids with egg wash. Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown.



For the Brits, just cook the meat until it is unrecognizable and leave out all seasonings

www.foodnetwork.com...
edit on 2-6-2012 by Iamschist because: Oh yes I did


Damn, that's a lot of work!


I like the Brit one for simplicity but of course I'm going for the more tasty...


Thank you!

Peace



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
what part of 'meat pie' didnt you understand?



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
what part of 'meat pie' didnt you understand?


hmmmm let's see.

"Meat Pies" are different all over the World. Spices, pastry, sauce, types of meat, preparation tips, baking times...

Thanks for your help tho...


Peace



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
edit on 2-6-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


I like both, but prefer puff, but have never mastered it.( I'm no chef )
Which pleases the wife as she prefers normal
But I've also played with a suet based pastry, which was a nice spin



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by jude11
 


I like both, but prefer puff, but have never mastered it.( I'm no chef )
Which pleases the wife as she prefers normal
But I've also played with a suet based pastry, which was a nice spin


And the last question, do you prefer a bottom crust as well or just the top?



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


It really has to be the top crust only, with the bottom shaped either square or rounded, for ease of pickup. It shouldn't be any larger than roughly an average hand.

This is an Australian Balfours Meat Pie. It is almost at full size, which is about 3 inches by 3 inches, and about 1/2 an inch deep.






By comparison, this is a Vili's meat pie. It is round, a little deeper than the Balfours pie, but about the same size.




The fillings are usually a from of very finely minced meat and gravy, but really the skies the limit as far as fillings go. They just about can and have put all kinds of filler, from the great potato pie, to the ned kelly pie (a bit spicier with egg and cheese on top), to chicken and steak pies.

Of course, if you wanted to blow customers away, you could always go with my personal favourite, the Cheese Kransky. Basically a Kransky inside butter puff pastry.




Best thing in the world imo



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Chicken Potpie Recipe or add any kind of (meat) you like



Ingredients
•2 cups diced peeled potatoes
•1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
•2/3 cup chopped onion
•1 cup butter, cubed
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•1-3/4 teaspoons salt
•1 teaspoon dried thyme
•3/4 teaspoon pepper
•3 cups chicken broth
•1-1/2 cups milk
•4 cups cubed cooked chicken
•1 cup frozen peas
•1 cup frozen corn
•Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)


Directions
•Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
• In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, corn, potatoes and carrots; remove from the heat.
• Line two 9-in. pie plates with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge. Fill pastry shells with chicken mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pies. Cut slits or decorative cutouts in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges.
• Bake one potpie at 425° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Cover and freeze remaining potpie for up to 3 months.

Also you could use the little pie tart pans for little pies...peace,sugarcookie1
This should make any zombie happy



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


Soz for the delay in my reply
Again both - depends on the pie
If I'm making singles then deffinatly tops and bottoms so it can be eaten by hand ( snacks, packed lunches )
If I'm cooking a BIG pie 18"x12"just a top
But like you've said, there's 100's of pie styles out there
A traditional welsh pie has just a top pastry, where as a traditional Italian one has top and bottom
( the wife's half each, so much of what I cook caters to her, as I eat pretty much anything )
edit on 3-6-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto
edit on 3-6-2012 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

For the Brits, just cook the meat until it is unrecognizable and leave out all seasonings


British meat is superior to all others and thus needs no seasoning. It is the Chuck Norris of edible delites.




posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ok,

Thanks to all for the tips.

Going into my bakery and get at it. I`ll post the results...


Peace






top topics



 
3

log in

join