It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delicate dragonflies, personal macro photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just coming back from a nature hiking trip with my wife and children, we made a lunch break close to a river where there were all sorts of dragonflies everywhere around us. It was an amazing and beautiful sight to see these insects flying above the river and playing with the sun!

These insects are very difficult to approach, so, while everyone was playing in the cold river, I patiently tried to do some macro shoots; after many attempts, here are my best pictures:

This one above have some sort of iridescence on its body.

This blue one above was very difficult to approach, so I had to use the zoom, which gave this slightly blurry aspect that I'm not fully satisfied with.

Not perfectly centered, but I was in the middle of nettles, so....

...And here's a white spider (I have no idea what its name is!?) that just caught a little bee:

All of these are not modified, except for the colors levels, slightly increased.
edit on 2-6-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Some stunning images you have there...there is a great website called viewbug that's free or a small annual fee for full membership, pretty good site which photo contests and all sorts, I signed up myself a few weeks ago

There is also a good photography thread on here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As a semi professional photographer, i find it strange that your best shots here are the ones youre down on. Photos with the subject off center in accordance with the rule of thirds are always better looking. And macro shots with blurred backgrounds are awesome. Nice shots, keep it up...... I always wondered how dragonflies have that iridescence....

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

You have an amazing eye for beauty.....I want the blue one
....Absolutely great in my books,keep up the good work
............snf

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Thank you! I'll take a look at this thread.

Originally posted by phroziac
As a semi professional photographer, i find it strange that your best shots here are the ones youre down on. Photos with the subject off center in accordance with the rule of thirds are always better looking. And macro shots with blurred backgrounds are awesome. Nice shots, keep it up...... I always wondered how dragonflies have that iridescence....

Thank you very much! I'll try to do it better next time, following your advices.
I'm not a pro, far from it, but always try to play with the light and the blurred background, which is not easy to do and require lots of patience.
...And I'm lazy (sort of...) as my camera is a compact model (Canon powershot A720IS)
I choose it some years ago because of its ability to do impressive photos at the 1cm macro mode, of its stabilized x6 zoom and ISO up to 1600.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Stunning pictures, thank you so much for sharing them.

I started a nature pic thread awhile back which includes some great macro shots - if you haven't run across it before I thought you might enjoy it.

Post a Beautiful Nature Pic!!!!
edit on 6/2/2012 by Open2Truth because: punctuation malfunction

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Awesome - like the look of your thread will be having a trawl through it shortly.
Thanks

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

Thank you very much! I'll try to do it better next time, following your advices.
I'm not a pro, far from it, but always try to play with the light and the blurred background, which is not easy to do and require lots of patience.
...And I'm lazy (sort of...) as my camera is a compact model (Canon powershot A720IS)
I choose it some years ago because of its ability to do impressive photos at the 1cm macro mode, of its stabilized x6 zoom and ISO up to 1600.

If youre really into this, save up and try to get a digital slr. I have a canon rebel t3, and with 300mm focal length i can do macro shots at 4 feet. It cost as much as the pistol i carry.

Now i wish i knew where to find some dragon flies...haha...

I dont know what kind of manual mode stuff your camera allows and what you already know, but aperture (f stop) makes a big difference in blurred backgrounds. Lowest fstop number (most open aperture), and youll have to have to run a faster shutter speed and lower iso number to not overexpose it... Also the geometry of the optics needs to be taken into consideration, longer focal length usually makes more blur...
edit on 2-6-2012 by phroziac because: f stop

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I dont know what kind of manual mode stuff your camera allows and what you already know, but aperture (f stop) makes a big difference in blurred backgrounds. Lowest fstop number (most open aperture), and youll have to have to run a faster shutter speed and lower iso number to not overexpose it... Also the geometry of the optics needs to be taken into consideration, longer focal length usually makes more blur...

My camera have four modes plus the auto mode and the video mode.
- "Programme" that charges a pre-definite personal mode
- "TV": speed priority
- "Av": Aperture priority
- "Manual" where you can manually change the F number, the exposure time, the ISO, etc...

I used this last feature to create the "ghost photo in the stairs" in my thread about the paranormal stuff here

I haven't try it for my macro photos though.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Stars and flags for something other then depressing!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Beautiful...gossamer elegance. Elevenaugust, another ATS member sent me the link to your thread. Thank you for the link Iamschist, this is just the eye candy I needed after a long day of working a festival. I can wind down now.

I want to shrink down to teeny tiny, and hitch a ride on the blue one....

Des

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Love their irredecent hues. I had one sit on my finger the other day. I was surprised it allowed my finger that close to it, and it slowly crawled on.
Didn't stay very long, but it was pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

If youre really into this, save up and try to get a digital slr. I have a canon rebel t3, and with 300mm focal length i can do macro shots at 4 feet. It cost as much as the pistol i carry.

Now i wish i knew where to find some dragon flies...haha...

On my point-and-shoot "superzoom" camera, selecting the "macro" mode for closeups results in the very shallow depth-of-field (thus blurred background) demonstrated in those lovely insect shots. I haven't worked out the lens mechanics in my head, but I suspect a wide aperture is involved.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Smashing pics. You should get them to the BBC website. There was an article just this week about dragonflies and they were asking for pics to be sent in. I'll try to find the linky.

new topics

top topics

join