It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Doom- 1,200 firefighters battle record New Mexico blaze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- The more than 1,200 firefighters who are battling the nation's largest wildfire in rugged mountains and canyons of southwestern New Mexico are racing to build lines to corral the massive blaze.

The fire had charred more than 354 square miles by Saturday morning, and crews were bracing for more dry and windy conditions.

...Fire authorities said the blaze in the Gila National Forest - the largest on record in New Mexico as well as the country's biggest current blaze - had burned through 340 square miles, or 218,000 acres, of terrain.

hosted.ap.org...

Looks like this is going to get worse before things get better, and they only have 15% of the fire contained. Heads up to any ATSers in the area...Although you have probably seen or smelled the smoke by now if you live near there. But those on the perimeter of this disaster might want to keep an eye on things.

The wildfire near the Arizona border is fueling experts' predictions that this is a preview of things to come across the West as several states contend with a dangerous mix of wind, low humidity and tinder-dry fuels.

edit on Sat Jun 2nd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've always considered moving into that area because of the climate, but it doesn't sound too safe unless you're not next to a lot of brush since it's so dry. Sounds like a bad idea.

Fire Doom

Fire of Doom sounds better.

edit on 2-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I live on the TX / NM border, and I am quite tired of smoky skies and the smell, which is faint but still recognizable, and we're over 350 miles away from it. However, because the wind goes from west to east, we've been dealing with it for over a week now.

I do love drier climates, though. That is the risk. I find it's worth it, I really hate humidity. Fires are common all over the southwest. Everywhere one lives, there is a natural risk of something (bad weather, earthquakes, fires, floods).

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Update:

Another fire started up the this past week. AKA Little Bear File now about 11,000 acres tonight. see link for video, this is just unheard of all in one month. Ski Apache ,There using the snow making machines to fight the fire.

Thousands question if they will have homes in light of Little Bear Fire burning north of Ruidoso

The fire is closing fast on the town of Ruidoso , NM

Nearly 6,000 people filled the Ruidoso High School gym to question authorities about how close the Little Bear Fire will get to their homes.

On Sunday, crews said the fire in southeastern New Mexico had charred more than 10,000 acres. “Everything is there,” Alto, NM resident Elaine Grimes said. “I could lose everything. It's in god's hands now.”

There are over 200 fires in the SW USA of some size or other. Every day this week it's been the smell of smoke and orange skies. This is getting Apocalyptic .

Update on all the NM files. Bradley is now at 274,000 acres.

Here is a link all all the fires in NM, that is updated daily. NM has 4 major fires at this time .

Fires in NM

Guess I have to back inside the smoke is rolling in again.

Mod This thread might be better moved to Fragile Earth.

new topics

top topics

join