It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I Poison My Cat?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

git That tip from a family friend that quit using frontline in their dogs and went all natural! works great for my pooch too and she's a Shorty, always in the grass! (-:

I would stay away from tea tree oil. unless super diluted its posinous to Kitty and doggy, that's not to say its wonderful stuff, I always add a couple drops in my bath, it gets rid of razor burn, keeps bugs outta my long hair (dip head in tub before You get in), sooths sore muscles and Just plain smells great, like minty pine!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaughterOfARevolver

I love tea tree.
Did you know it will cure toenail fungus and dandruff, also. I even use it on my zits.

Not that I ever get zits, mind you.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Her cat still isn't back, I've asked the neighbors but they're not being helpful at all. I may sprinkle some tuna around the garden and leave an open can. Chances are she's close by and she'll smell it, I'll shoo away all the other cats that come by.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Sorry to hear that.

I hope the tuna works.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

If it doesn't work I'm knocking on all my neighbors doors cause she's probably been taken in by someone. She didn't have any collar and I understand cats will always remain within a certain radius.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about Olive! It's never fun when our loved ones get sick. I have heard the commercial drops available at the local store are more toxic than the drops we buy at the vet's office. I don't know if this is true or not. Where did you buy the drops? Perhaps the drops penetrated down to Olive's skin? Maybe she was able to lick it off? You said her liver enzymes were slightly elevated. If they were only slightly elevated I might reject the opinion that a toxic cause is the root of Olive's seizure. Many lab results might be slightly elevated after a seizure, including her glucose, white blood cell count, etc. Her enzymes might have been elevated from muscle exertion during the seizure. It's difficult to tell. Now, if your vet said her liver enzymes were remarkably elevated then I would suspect a variety of different problems, including toxicology. On a side note, one of my huskies started having seizures about three to four years ago. I believe they occur about once every three to four months. They last about 10 minutes from start to finish. They have not progressed any further therefore I do not have her on anti-epileptic medication. Yes, they are very scary and I hate to see her experience them but the benefits do not outweigh the risks or side effects from medication therapy at this time. Good luck with Olive!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Thanks for you kind words.
Olive seems to be doing great. No more seizures since the last one.
The drops that I used were called Advantage, and I bought them from my vet. I have heard about the OTC brands being more dangerous. There was a story on the local news last year about some pets dying or coming close to it. But, of course, they all carry a certain amount of risk.
It was a difficult decision for me to use any drops. I don't use pesticides in my garden or inside my house and it always bothered me that I was putting what I knew to be a strong poison on my pets. But it was either that or let the fleas eat them alive. It is really a problem where I live.
That being said..
The only evidence I have that it was the drops causing the seizures is purely anecdotal.
Both seizures came 2 days after applying the drops. The second time I used them, I only used half a dose.

It could very well be epilepsy.
Olive was the runt of her litter and bottle fed. It is possible that the woman that I got her from, did not provide an adequate substitute for her mamma's milk.

I may never know the cause for certain, but I don't think it would be prudent for me to keep using the toxic products on her. Better safe than sorry, right?
If I do get a concrete diagnosis someday, I will be sure and post about it.
I will be starting her on the all natural flea preventative next month. I'll be sure and let you all know how it works.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Great to hear she is doing well! I think my mother uses a natural remedy containing lemon juice, I think? I think you're right that it was purely coincidence but you never know. It sounds like fleas are a real problem where you live. Little buggers!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Little buggers is right!
Between the fleas and the fire ants, it's definitely a challenge. It's too bad we can't get them to wage war on each other!

edit on 22-6-2012 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I poured the tuna all over my compound and waited for hours but nothing.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
An update for anyone who is interested.

Olive had several more seizures and they were coming closer and closer together. She is now on phenobarbital and has not had any more seizures.
Phenobarbital

Phenobarbital is used to control seizures. Phenobarbital is also used to relieve anxiety. It is also used to prevent withdrawal symptoms in people who are dependent ('addicted'; feel a need to continue taking the medication) on another barbiturate medication and are going to stop taking the medication. Phenobarbital is in a class of medications called barbiturates. It works by slowing activity in the brain.

Right now, we are trying to find the appropriate dosage for her. She is obviously stoned right now, but once we get the right blood level of the drug, the side effects should dissipate.
We never got a definitive diagnosis for her but I feel certain that the flea drops were NOT responsible.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I suspected that from the start, sorry to hear that, hope her condition improves.

As for the missing cat, found her yesterday she looks pretty healthy and well fed. I was petting her but as soon as I grabbed her she went crazy on me and scratched me pretty bad. Tore my T-shirt and my pants and unfortunately I had to let go and she ran away again. She's twice the size she used to be.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

I can't believe you found her after all this time! That's great!
Sounds like she has found a new home, though. But at least you know she is alive and well.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join