It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I Poison My Cat?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DaughterOfARevolver

Many thanks!
I did a search on cinnamon and found this all natural product that uses cinnamon and peppermint etc...
I had no idea there was such a thing. I'm going to order it and give it a try.
Natural Flea Control

I had heard of using tea tree oil as a repellant but the vet said it would irritate their skin.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

this could be exposure to something like rat poison. this happened to my cat. he almost died.

he had a tube inserted through his side for nourishment and medication every two hours and we had to give him liquid vitamin k so he wouldn't bleed to death.

how is your cat's appetite? is he eating? has he lost any weight?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

Her appetite is good and she is in good spirits.
There is no rat poison on the property. I use live traps when I need to. Usually the cats find them first, though.
I hope your kitty is ok.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

i'm glad to hear it's probably not rat poison then.

my cat, bismarck (built like a battleship), is dead now. he'd be 20-something. he did recover from being poisoned. I used my whole tax return but I don't regret it! he was a sweetie.

I hope your kitty recovers. I can tell you love her very much.

=^..^=
edit on 6/2/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

Sorry to hear about Bismark.
And your refund. But when it comes to a loved one, you have to go with your heart. My vet is great about letting me make payments over time. One of the reasons I have been taking my pets to them for 20+ years.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

it definitely helps to have a good vet. mine recognized he couldn't handle my cat's illness and immediately referred us to the university vet school. their advanced knowledge saved his life.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa

I miss my poor kitties..
reply to post by mainidh

Feline Leukemia is a horrible disease. Lost all my babies over time from either being run over on the road by miscreants, old age, or the last one, feline leuk. He was only about 3 and we spent near a thousand on him after he - or someone - broke his front leg.
It was both sad and funny seeing him look at me when he would wave his imaginary leg around trying to dig a hole out the back.. precious little boy..

But then they tell me, after all this, he has FL. And it just went down hill, to the point one night, he couldn't even walk, he'd fall over.. broke my heart

and he lay near my door.. I remember about 2am I spoke to him, and in his contorted state, peeped at me.. a squeak.. as if to say "I'm going..." and I thought at least he had someone to care for him. I wasn't going to have him put down. De had love right up until the end.

I still have his ashes in an urn with a tuft of his fur tethered to the urn's top... He had a good little run. mischevious little guy he was. He'd sit and stare at me with a look of contentedness on his face as I'd do my stuff.. He was more personality and identity that almost many people I know.

Being a cat person, I've had cats my entire life. I remember each one that adopted me..

But I cant have any more. Lost too much already, and they have the knack of really getting to me..

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

That is so sad. I'm really sorry.
I know the pain can be horrible when we lose a friend, but I think it's worth it to me. To be able to experience the love they give and knowing them. Yeah...totally worth it.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There can be a variety of things which can cause a cat to have a seizure. It does sound like the flea treatment is the culprit due to elevated liver enzymes. Over-the-counter flea and worm treatments usually make cats quite ill. When I lived in the DFW area and used the OTC flea treatments, my cats would get quite sick and foam at the mouth. Better flea treatments such as Frontline (gotten from the vet's office) can still cause issues with cats. The vets will deny this, but any insecticide is basically a poison, and your kitty may be very sensitive to it.

Also, do you feed your kitty dry cat food? Some of the ingredients can cause seizures: yourcatcareguide.com...

One of my cats, a very healthy 6 year old male, came down with diabetes out of the blue. We determined that it was the dry cat food he was eating, because the main ingredient is corn meal. We now feed him nothing but good canned food and meats (tuna, chicken, pork and beef). Dry cat food is cheap, and they flavor it so that cats really like it, but it comes with it's own set of dangers due to all the additives. Let's face it, cats are not meant to eat corn meal, they are carnivores.

I have 9 cats, and each one is my baby, so I know how hard it is when one gets sick. Thankfully, in the dry climate we now live in, we haven't seen one flea or tick on the cats, so flea control is a thing of the past.

You may want to use a natural flea repellent, and consider changing your kitty's diet over if she is eating dry cat food.

Hope she gets better soon!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sprinkle regular table salt all over the floors in ur home. Leave for a day or overnight and vacuum up. That will get the fleas out of ur house

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Hemingway cats.

i had one with so many extra toes she looked like she had thumbs.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I am not a fan of the flea treatment, i have had relatives whose dogs developed tumors where you apply the stuff.

it spreads through the nervous system and blood stream, how good do you think that is for the animals?

BUT

fleas are also lethal for cats, so i advise people to only treat in teh summer.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I believe you mean anti-freeze. Which is quite toxin to all animals and tastes sweet.
second line.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i remember reading that neem oil can be used for flea control, and is safe....i hate using the toxic stuff myself.

and I actually use tea tree oil when my pets have a skin problem to help heal it. coconut oil is also great for anti fungal anti bacterial and anti viral!!!! and delicious to eat!!
edit on 2-6-2012 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Get kitty checked for toxoplasmosis.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I got a cat when I was young (still have her actually she's going to be 17 sometime this year) that had a reaction to flea spray/dip/powder (It's been 17 years I don't quite remember what form of flea stuff). I think you would notice other symptoms between seizures. She would be really lethargic to say the least. There is also usually tons of drooling.

I've never meet an epileptic cat, but I have known epileptic dog. Sounds alot like what you are describing...even the coming on in adult stage.
Anywho...Good luck to you and your cat. Check chemicals, plants, ect anything she could be eating. Did your vet mention infection by chance? From what I understand that can do it too. My gut tells me this is nothing you did, but either way best wishes in finding a cause.
edit on 2-6-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: too much personal info

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

The drops I used are not OTC. I got them from the vet. I have heard alot of horror stories about the ones you get OTC.
I have never heard that about dry food. That is what I feed my cats. I will ask my vet about that and diabetes.
Thanks very much for the info. I will def check that angle.

I am soooo envious that you guys don't have fleas & ticks. They are a plague here.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I know. It's horrible stuff. We really do try to stay away from toxic chems here, but I have to use something. I feel certain that if I just keep digging I will find a non toxic alternative.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

I learned recently that they are in the process of replacing the toxic component of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) with the non toxic propylene glycol. It's the same thing they use in e-cigs. YAY

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Epilepsy is def a possibility. It is strange that 99% of the time, she has no symptoms. No fever. Blood work showed no infections. The vet wants me to film a seizure. She says she can tell alot by seeing the actual seizure.
Ugh.
Lets just hope she doesn't have another.
Thanks every one for responding. I knew I would find compassion and help here.
You guys are great.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join