It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No signal' from targeted ET hunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The hunt for other intelligent civilisations has a new technique in its arsenal, but its first use has turned up no signs of alien broadcasts.

Australian astronomers used "very long baseline interferometry" to examine Gliese 581, a star known to host planets in its "habitable zone".

But no joy...........booooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

I guess with a target area that big to look at something, at least something should show up?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Not that we would be told if they DID hear something.....

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

I guess with a target area that big to look at something, at least something should show up?

Huh?

They have examined one star among literally trillions and you ask why something didn't show up? They even say it in the article you posted...

"Consider the fact that you could've looked at the Earth for four billion years with radio antennas - here was a planet that's clearly in the habitable zone, has liquid oceans, and has an atmosphere - and yet unless you had looked in the last 70 years and were close enough, you wouldn't have found any intelligent life," he said.

"The fact that we look at one star system and don't find a signal doesn't tell you that there's no intelligent life."

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Too true buddy, too true.

Not that it would be "Hey guys, Guess what!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Oh yeah? How stupid of me.

I'll wait till they have made a more thorough search until I post any further comments.

Cheers, and thanks for pointing that out

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I've missed something haven't I?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Maybe we shouldnt wake them up! LOL

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Wars and violence. That is what our news broadcasting is on every day.

Now, think if you had such a neighbor, in the planetary system. Who is for every practical purpose in a constant state of war. And broadcasting that all around the universe.

You would keep dead silent near such bunch of loonies.

Only the brave and suicidal ones - would ever attempt to visit us. And those who would need to visit, surely then would be pale and grey.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
They're 20 light years away?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't they had to have sent a signal to us 20 years ago for us to grab anything?

We sent out a signal to the system in 2008.

en.wikipedia.org...

That would be like them "knowing" we exist, trying to listen for signals from us, getting nothing, and some people on the parallel version of ATS booing, and speculating when our signals just haven't reached them yet - and won't do for another 17ish years.

Maybe they've just sent a signal. Maybe they haven't sent a signal yet. Maybe they're currently fighting their first major world war, and won't reach our level for another century?

Or maybe their signal passed our planet a few days prior to us "focussing" on that small part of our sky.

Looking for signals is fun, in a "what if" or "just in case" way, but we would have to observe them permanently. And even then, we would have to assume their messages include a way of replying, in case we do actually receive them.

Will they wait another 20 years for our return message? and from what point in time do they assume we send the reply message?

I've watched live news delay over a few seconds on the tv, and the reporters get confused with eachother's sentences. This is 20 years!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

There was this old episode of the Twilight Zone where some astronauts crash landed on a barren planet. They had no way to return to earth and they had no radio to let anyone know where they were.
The planet they landed on was desert like, rocky and barren of trees or even water. The astronauts knew they were dead. They started arguing and eventually one killed one of the others.
While running away from the killer one of the other astronauts climbed this high hill and upon reaching the summit he viewed a two lane highway strung with telephone poles for miles and miles.

The point is: It looked like a barren planet because of where they crashed but pulling out you can see that it was not . Now, we could be just that close but are "crash landing" just over the hill from civilization and so think no one is there. Think of the Argentinian soccer players that crased in the Andes. If they had walked a little further in the other direction they could have been saved a lot sooner but they didnt look in the right place at first.
edit on 2-6-2012 by karen61057 because: adjusted spacing to make an easier read.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

It would be even longer. Sound travels slower than light which is why you see the lightning before you hear the thunder. Could be much longer than 20 years before they hear us.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

We're not talking about sound through air. We talking about radio waves and tv broadcasting waves.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

So do they travel at the speed of light then? Where did I go wrong with my thoughts?
If something is 20 light years away how long would it take a radio signal to reach that distance?
Best answer I found is that radio signals travel at the same speed. Who'd a thunk it.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think Kryties pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Even if this exercise had been ongoing for quite a number of years and had turned up nothing then that would still hardly be surprising.

The proverbial needle in a haystack springs to mind - but let's hope we strike lucky sooner rather than later.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Not that we would be told if they DID hear something.....

Why wouldn't they? There is no intelligent life on that planet system.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Meh.. I feel such attempts at communication are wasted. I think perhaps we are being bombarded with information... but we just don't know how to listen properly yet. Perhaps by design. I mean.. keep attempting, we'll hit the right formula eventually, still think we are quite a ways off however.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Hey,,my mon is a big fan of that show.
She has a DVD collection of them.

I seen it to.
Really classics and great acting in them!!!

I liked the one also of the big mouth liar who got kidnapped by aliens,,and his harmonica saved him because they could not stand the sound.
LOL

So many good ones!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Good thread and a S&F.

One must also think that some civilizations could be kinda like in the dark ages still,horse and buggy era (as an example).
Some people on this planet (to us) still live in the past like some tribes in Africa and other places.
Was kind of a big BANG on what happened tech wise in the last 2 hundred years.
Also,,many highly intelligent people who lived back hundreds of years ago also.

I think life is abundant out there but its so vast.
We actually just started looking also.
I think within 20 years(if not sooner) we will catch a few signals that will be pay dirt so to say.
Could be signals out there where whoever sent them are long gone.
Kinda like some of the stars we see in the sky.

I read a few of the replies here,kinda makes one think(?),like if they tuned into one of our horror movies(Texas chain saw or some other kind?).
To much of a culture shock for either one or both.

I beleive some ET's are visitng this planet and are in our solar sytem also.
With there high tech far more advanced,,we cant snag signals from them.
They obviusly use another way.

Some think they use telepathy?
I knda think its some type of tech thats just far more advanced or we cant perceive it.
I wonder if they have accesed the WWW and able to get online????

Soory to go off in a few directions but neat thread.

M

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In my opinion it's logical to assume that at a certain point in another civilizations history they develop technology to either block outside forces from testing for things like this, or block their transmission, radio signals etc from leaving their planet or solar system.

It's a logical, safe step to take especially if the civilization is a peaceful type.

Anyway, I strongly believe even if there was something found/heard we wouldn't be told about it anyway.

new topics

join