It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gone Now, Forever More [NATURE]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
“Poppa? Poppa?” The old man turned his gaze, with saddened eyes, upon his granddaughter. She sat atop the metal table upon which they ate what little they had left, her legs crossed, her arms pointing to a transparent illuminated screen nestled within her tiny arms.

“Yes darling?” he croaked, feeling the weariness in his own voice.

“What’s a tree?”

Once they soared mightily over us, lush and green, their canopies awash with sun and flower. Once they could tell us stories of our own past, of empires and might come and gone. Their energies abundant as we stood below them, seeking shelter from the sun, seeking cover from the rain, gazing up at the granduer they beheld. Their boles home to every manner of creation’s kind, their branches meeting places for endless flocks of chattering socialites.

Gone now, forever more.

Once they bespoke us of each new day’s herald, with their incessant chatter, squawks and whistles. Once they filled us with laughter at their antics, filled us with wonder at the grand beauty their colours had to offer, filled us with a sense of quiet as they went about their daily lives, oblivious to the pain around them, pecking and scratching through the grass and dirt, always seeking the juciest one of all, their keen eyes and beaks sharp as a new day’s dawn.

Gone now, forever more.

Once she warmed our skin, gave life to all that we see. Once she caressed our meals, gave rise to the endless cycles of scorching drought and flooding rains, would come and go as she saw fit, sometimes hidden away beneath the endless drift of the skies only true giants, but always there, comforting us and giving us reason to bear witness to each new day.

Gone now, forever more.

Once the simplest touch could calm the greatest fires, could prickle the skin and give us relief on all but the coldest of morns. Once could quench the most dire of thirsts, once could gaze out at the endless blue, could see the world reflected in it’s tranquility. Once could give rise to the shock of it’s stinging touch, could revive and invigorate with but a single caress.

Gone now, forever more.

Once they swayed in her endless breath, that thing which is not for the naked eye to see, but is always felt nonetheless. Our lifeline, our change we see but do not see. Her ferocity could destroy all we had done to this world in a matter of moments, her fingers reached high into the skies, carving a path of rebirth wherever she landed, her gentler side revealing coolness to it’s touch, a welcome respite from the endless scorching of her sister.

Gone now, forever more.

Once she allowed us the sanctuary of her protection. Once, she gave us rise and fall, allowed us to feed at her bosom. Once she gave rise to the very show that was our home. She gave us life, gave us warmth, gave us a sense of belonging, a sense of home. Gave us a sky so blue, a sea so sparkling, land filled with wonder and amazement at every turn. Like the truest of lovers, she was blind to our hatred of her. Like a tortured soul, we diseased her, robbed her, raped her. Left her a blackened, smoking corpse, that not even her sister, with all her brilliance could revive.

Gone now, forever more.

“Poppa?” The old man awoke from the reverie he didn’t realise had taken him over. His eyes, cleared, he wiped a single tear from his pallid cheek. Then, slowly, faintly, he smiled.

“What’s a tree?” his granddaughter asked, staring out at the endless sea of stars whizzing by.

“You see little one, when your grandmother and I were young, we had this home. It was called Earth. And she was a beauty. Once they soared mightily over us....”

Take a good look at your home. We have little left, especially time....

edit on 1-6-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

really liked it..

S & F

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well done, 74. SnF. Good luck in the contest, you deserve to win one.

This is a good topic to write about, and I like the slant you've taken.

Of course, there are a thousand things to write concerning the topic of nature!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Thank you both for the replies

I almost wasn't going to attend this one, but then this flash of inspiration hit, much in thanks to my eldest daughter.

We'll see how we go this time...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

A moving story. Well done.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks Beez.

Congrats on winning the MAD contest, a deserving story as always.

Looking forward to what you have to delight us with this time.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Mine is in my signature block. A rather silly piece, no way it compares. Just having some fun.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hey fun is good, we all need a laugh in this PC and messed up world...

Got another idea cookin' right now, perhaps just a little more tongue in cheek....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Very nicely done. I enjoyed it very much. This is going to be a great contest this month I do believe.

S&F

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Thanks. This was what sprang to mind in nature for me first. I still have to read all of the entries, but the ones I have read of yours so far are greatly detailed and in depth.

Congrats on getting Writer status too, well deserved.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Thanks. This was what sprang to mind in nature for me first. I still have to read all of the entries, but the ones I have read of yours so far are greatly detailed and in depth.

Congrats on getting Writer status too, well deserved.

Thanks, I'm not even sure why I got the writer status though. Maybe just because I have submitted so much?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I'd say just the quality of the posts you contributed to the contests so far would be the answer.

Keep writing though, I do need the competition.

new topics

top topics

join