It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arab-Americans Ask to be Classified Socially Disadvantaged to Get Minority Business Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
www.allgov.com... 1

Arab-American entrepreneurs should enjoy the same assistance from the federal government as American Indians and Hasidic Jews, according to a civil rights group.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee recently asked the Department of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Agency to grant disadvantaged minority status to Arab-Americans so they can receive help with their businesses.

In their petition, the committee remarked that Arab-Americans are subject to social and economic conditions “amounting to prejudice in American society and resulting in conditions under which Arab-American individuals have been unable to compete in a business world.”

If the group succeeds, Arab-Americans would gain access to the agency’s business centers that provide assistance with writing business plans, marketing, management, financial planning and technical assistance.

The centers currently help African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Eskimos and Aleuts, Hasidic Jews and Asian Pacific Americans, among others

Prejudice? I wonder why?

This is going too far. Will Gypsies (Roma) or Transylvania Saxons be next? Use the right yardsticks and we will all qualify. How about Congress, nobody likes them

Any way to find out the budget for the Minority Business Development Agency? They also provide grants and loans which the article neglected to mention.
www.mbda.gov...

here is their petition
www.mbda.gov...

edit on 1-6-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Why cant i get help with the same things? Im the one at a disadvantage, the freakin white dude.

Sure are a lot of arab gas stations if no ones helping these people. Then again, any of them i actually socialized with were highly intelligent college educated people......

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What about pagans?

Can we have minority status too?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
They're not stupid. The realize any kind of minority status can get you perks. Look at Elizabeth Warren! Somebody a couple of hundred years ago may have been 1.32nd Cherokee (or not) and suddenly she's harvard's first "woman of color."

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Why cant i get help with the same things? Im the one at a disadvantage, the freakin white dude.

Sure are a lot of arab gas stations if no ones helping these people. Then again, any of them i actually socialized with were highly intelligent college educated people......

They (with all respect) are highly intelligent as are peoples from India, etc. !

That's why they've beaten us "white dudes" in a lot of small business operations here in the U.S.

They are used to living, culturally speaking, with loads of family members--it is normal in their native lands.

Thus, they are all able to "pool" their monies together, so to speak, and because they have saved the monies to do so through living in what we might consider cramped conditions, privacy invasions by family members, etc., they are able to purchase that first business....

That's where the extra money comes in for them to buy gas stations, liquor places, etc.... Then, they each work their fare shares...not requiring extra workers to put on payroll, etc... and BOOM...success...and the cycle is able to repeat and repeat....

As white dudes, we should learn from their processes, but I think too many of us are spoiled...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is more of the crap that has undermined this country by giving in to the divisionist mentality that goverment wants to create. It is also a huge pet peave. If you are a African- American, Mexican- American, Asain-American,Arab-American are any other hyphenated American then please feel free to leave.
If you are here and consider yourself a American, reguardless of where you came from. ( Many times 3 and 4 generations ago. ) Then you are the people this nation needs. We are one country. When you are here working and living and raising a family you have become American, If that is not what you consider yourself to be first and foremost then go to what ever country you wish to pledge allegiance to and stay there.

And before I get flamed as a racist, I would make this statement to any color person. Its not about skin color, its about national pride and commitment to your country. Ask a Hispanic marine in Afganistan if he is a Mexican-American are a US Marine.

There is nothing wrong with cultural pride. And lord knows the US has plenty to answer for. I am not a blind patriot. But our goverment has done a wonderful job dividing us and we will never have any control as long as this continues.

You know what they fear more than losing the Black vote are the White are Mexican vote. When all of thoses become the American vote.Then and only then will they be made to answer.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

That's really true. I worked for years to sponsor a family of Vietnamese (Ethnic Chinese) to get over to the US in the "Orderly Departure Program" which tried to reunite familiies. Two of them escaped years before )one across a minefield in Cambodia) and one became a friend of mine. We finally got the 8 familiy members over. They all worked minimum wage jobs and within six months had purchased a brand new house. I don't have room enough to tell you how frugal they are. Incredible. Now the familiy owns one of those Phoa Hoa (something very close to that) resraurants and us doing, predictably, very well.

new topics

top topics

join