It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 program audio set to one display and 1 program to another display?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ok so i was wondering is there a way or maybe a program that would allow me to do this?

For example, I have a HDMI out to my tv i like to play games on i would like the game audio to be set to those speakers. And on my monitor i would like to set Firefox audio to my monitor.

Now I've been messing around for a bit to see if its possible to do it natively on windows 7 but I've failed.

any help would be great thanks

edit on 1-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Not so sure if it can be done by default, but I am pretty sure with a bit of programming it can be done. Haven't played around with audio for a long time, but I cannot see why it can't be done with a bit of programming. Maybe somebody else could enlighten us, else I can look at it next week sometime.

hmmm, IndieVolume might do it for you, but I see it has some stability-issues with W7. Haven't tried it out myself though.
www.indievolume.com...

edit on 1/6/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Get two soundcards.

EDIT: Or use a cheap on-board sound chip on the mainboard if you got one for simple 265k audio music processing and a pci or usb sound card for the games. That might work.
edit on 1-6-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: bleh

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by Bixxi3

Not so sure if it can be done by default, but I am pretty sure with a bit of programming it can be done. Haven't played around with audio for a long time, but I cannot see why it can't be done with a bit of programming. Maybe somebody else could enlighten us, else I can look at it next week sometime.

Thanks for the post hopefully though i will have it figured it out by then.

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Get two soundcards.

EDIT: Or use a cheap on-board sound chip on the mainboard if you got one for cheap 265k audio music processing and a pci or usb sound card for the games. That might work.
edit on 1-6-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

That was what i was scared of. It makes sense i would need 2 but i was just hoping it was one of those simple things i could do in 2 min.
Off course i don't have a spare soundcard laying around.

thanks for the repoly

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Get two soundcards.

EDIT: Or use a cheap on-board sound chip on the mainboard if you got one for simple 265k audio music processing and a pci or usb sound card for the games. That might work.

Nope, that won't work either. HDMI audio is already a seperate audio. By default, since Vista, you cannot route audio normally to 2 different outputs. Some software, like VLC does allow you to, but everything else that uses the WinAPI are bound by the API. Windows (since vista) only allows audio to go to the default.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think a lot of this will have to do with the motherboard that you have installed. I know that I can split jacks between front and rear on my case and then a program will see them as two different outputs so I can select one say back for game volume and then the front panel for vent. Hope that helps you.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here is a thread on MSDN detailing the OP's dilemma, as I understand it.

social.msdn.microsoft.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Here is a thread on MSDN detailing the OP's dilemma, as I understand it.

social.msdn.microsoft.com...

I'll take a look in that article.
As for the program indievolume. My firewall/AV telling me it was a virus after i installed it. Im hoping its a false positive. (no big deal i have it sandboxed/isolated)
But aside from that, i have not been able to get it to work it just makes my audio crackle up lol.
But thank you for helping me look for a solution!

It seems in my audio option i can only set 1 device as a default and the other for communications. And what ever is set to default is the one that plays the audio :/

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Get two soundcards.

Nope, that won't work either. HDMI audio is already a seperate audio. By default, since Vista, you cannot route audio normally to 2 different outputs. Some software, like VLC does allow you to, but everything else that uses the WinAPI are bound by the API. Windows (since vista) only allows audio to go to the default.

I know it was possible under DOS hehe. So theoretically, as long as you play DOOM 1 and install DOS and had two soundblaster cards ...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Get two soundcards.

I use alsa to get my guitar rig app output via my $2 usb audio card, and have windows apps snd to my internal audio.

Maybe they can look at alsa, but then it would still require an application to rig the audio to the separate alsa output seeing as neither games or firefox are alsa supportive.

new topics

top topics

join