It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six CeaseFire workers charged with crimes in the past five years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Six CeaseFire workers charged with crimes in the past five years

www.suntimes.com

Juan Johnson and Harold Martinez were street workers for the CeaseFire anti-violence group back in 2007. But on an August day that year, they were focused on a drug deal — and not on stopping shootings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
City won’t write a ‘blank check’ to partner CeaseFire: mayor
Violent holiday weekend claims at least 10 lives in Chicago
After bloody weekend, police say CeaseFire will be asked to help
The Interrupters
edit on 1-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: Fixed some links.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
CeaseFire earned national attention as a result of the praised documentary called the "Interrupters."
I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. However, there have been quite a few individuals that have been convicted of crimes while working for CeaseFire. From possessing unlicensed firearms to crimes involving narcotics. This group receives state, county, and federal funding and is about to receive direct funding from the City of Chicago.

Too me, I am beginning to believe this group is full of jackals? Former criminals appear to be using their employment and involvement in the CeaseFire program to provide cover from law enforcement to engage in criminal activity. We are committing our tax dollars to a program that is supposed to prevent violent crime, but it seems to be fomenting it? What the hell! Crime has gone up in the city since this time last year, and there was a whopping 40 shootings over the Memorial Day weekend.

To be fair, I enjoyed the documentary and supported what this group was doing, but after reading the article? I have my doubts. More crooks turning a good thing into excrement!

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Wow, using ceasefire as a cover. Drug wars are one of the main reason people are killed.... Would hate to see what I thought was a good orginization crumble because of crap like this....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Sounds like the mob has
taken over any good this
group was doing.
Racketeering, drug dealing, gun trading.
Has mob written all over it...
The mob is a gang have been around
since al capone and prohibition.
I am sure they got someone on the
*inside* someone on the board
maybe even a few who are getting
good kick backs..

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I have been familiar with the group even before watching the documentary, and they were doing some real good in the gang ridden and homicide laden communities around Chicago. However, after reading the article I was very disappointed. I hope the organizer of the program which appears to be University of Illinois Chicago would take more care vetting potential candidates and monitoring the activities of their employees.

I am open to anything that will prevent homicides in a city, but if a program is doing more harm than good? Then it has to be eliminated. Hopefully, these matters can be resolved and eliminated going forward? However, this is Chicago we are talking about which is the "Cathedral of Corruption," in the US. So I am going to remain skeptical of this program going forward, because the taxpayers cannot foot the bill for programs that are not producing what they say they are. Especially with the serious fiscal disaster confronting the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Jake,
the way to end homicides like you listed is easy... end Prohibition as it has never solved any problems but only made more problems.

Derek

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Yeah, I see what you are saying. However, these are street gangs, and I think you are referring to the Chicago Outfit. I don't believe they are involved in this one? I could be wrong though. Most of the employees in the program are ex-felons and former gang members. What I would like to know is how many more are on the payroll moonlighting as criminals that have not been caught?

Another thing that gives me the creeps is how the city is planning on relying on this group to deter crime. Would that mean working in concert with the police, and as such could some police intelligence be compromised to gangs and drug dealers? On another note, could the members of the group be put at greater risk by their direct involvement with law enforcement? We all know how that thug culture views snitches or alleged snitches. It would render them practically useless, because people will want to avoid them out of fear of potential incarceration. In a worst case scenario, it could be putting a bulls-eye on their back. The article has said in the past the police did their thing and this group did what they did. Always at a safe distance. That looks to be changing?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

The jury is out on that one. All we can do now is play the cards that are dealt. The matter you have brought up is for the legislature to decide. I believe at this time, your alternative has as much a chance of happening as building an igloo in hell. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sounds like Acorn to me lol

S+F
edit on 6/1/2012 by longjohnbritches because: s+f

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

It could very well go the way Acorn did. I think it has good intentions at its foundation, because outside of downtown Chicago it is a shooting gallery. So, I am all for this group going into these high crimes areas, influencing the youth, and assisting in the prevention of violent crime.

I just want the vetting process to be more intrusive, and that employees are subject to periodic evaluations. What harm is it to give a few felons a paycheck and an opportunity to make their communities a little safer? If it prevents a mother from scrapping her son off the sidewalk? It is a good thing in my book. I just don't want these guys using this second chance as a cover to further their criminal endeavors and at the taxpayers expense. This is not a privately funded group, but one funded by us. There lies the big problem. I think now is the time for strict oversight, and a thorough house cleaning. It is not a dead horse just yet, but it is teetering on that very possibility.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Little to no accountability. Just think Fast and Furious.

top topics

join