It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'First Amendment rights can be terminated': When cops, cameras don't mix - VIDEO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

The video is chilling, but it's also a sign of the times
"Your First Amendment rights can be terminated," yells the Chicago police officer, caught on video right before arresting two journalists outside a Chicago hospital. One, an NBC News photographer, was led away in handcuffs essentially for taking pictures in a public place. He was released only minutes later, but the damage was done. Chicago cops suffered an embarrassing "caught on tape" moment, and civil rights experts who say cops are unfairly cracking down on citizens with cameras had their iconic moment.

Source

Click the link to watch the Video.. sorry, Im not sure how to embed this one, if anyone can help?!

Thoughts?!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

posting link

www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

there.

much better video
edit on 1-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am glad that the linked article made mention of this:

The most celebrated case involves Simon Glik, who in 2007 filmed police arresting a homeless man near Boston Commons. Glick was arrested and charged with violating the state's wiretapping law. His case was dismissed, but he then brought a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city. In August 2011, the First U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the First Circuit ruled unanimously in his favor.

It is a good case to make mention to a cop that:

1. He/She doesn't understand your Constitutional Rights afforded by the First Amendment,

2. He/She thinks that YOU do not know/understand your Constitutional Rights afforded by the First Amendment,

3. He/She is just a power abusing blowhard that needs to be knocked down a few pegs to where reality exists.

I enjoy these types of posts. They act as little educational primers for us to gain better insight into our rights as Americans.

S&F!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Thank you! Now i can embed it

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

no problem.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I dont know if it was chilling compared to some police vids ive seen. It does show the ignorance of some and the powerhungry attitudes prevalent maybe but

*warning*

This might be the nicest police abuse video you will see this year.

If you put some person in a position they feel justified to force something on another you will have abuse. So you will see it in police all the time.

situations and individuals aside

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Technically he is correct, rights can be suspended under certain conditions.

one example is when martial law is declared.

But this guy doesn't understand that, what he is saying that cops have all the power and you'd better bow down to them.

To which I say frag him, and he needs to be taken down a few pegs or so and understand that he isn't all that special just because he is a cop.

top topics

join