It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soviet rocket found water on the moon in 1976 - but the West ignored their discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Source

Probe dug six feet into moon's surface
Returned first evidence of water on moon
Finding completely ignored by West
Paper has never been cited by ANY Western scientist

In August 1976, a Soviet rocket landed on the moon, drilled six feet into the surface, extracted about half a pound of rock and flew back.
In the rocks that it brought back, water made up around 0.1%.

It was the first time any spacecraft had found conclusive evidence of water on the moon.
The American Apollo landings had brought back moon rocks, but the samples were thought to have been contaminated with water from Earth.
In 1976, the evidence of water was an earth-shattering discovery - but it was almost entirely ignored in the West.

Well this is interesting eh?! Why do you think the findings were ignored? Granted, the internet and the freeflow of information back then was not what it is now, but still?! You'd think the western scientific community would have been interested in this data?

Thoughts?!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Americans often ignore Russia contributions to space travel, they put robotic rovers on the moon back in 1970. Pretty crazy considering the limitations of computers back than.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Just like everything else, the American government hides absolutely everything regardless of the severity.....That is UNTIL they are ready to release it to us simple minded individuals!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Possibly they wanted to make other countries not interested in exploring the moon. That is my only guess. Also, the US government has an uncanny way of ignoring other countries science, preferring to discover it on their own.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
An article published in a Russian journal in the middle of the cold war and it was "ignored" in the west. Or maybe it wasn't even seen in the west. According to this source the journal had a circulation of less than 2,000 in 1970.
encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...

The article was not apparently cited by any Russians either though.

Arlin Crotts at Columbia University in New York city says, 'No other author has ever cited the Luna 24 work.'

Maybe the article wasn't so great.
edit on 6/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
An article published in a Russian journal in the middle of the cold war and it was "ignored" in the west. Or maybe it wasn't even seen in the west. According to this source the journal had a circulation of less than 2,000 in 1970.
encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...

The article was not apparently cited by any Russians either though.

Arlin Crotts at Columbia University in New York city says, 'No other author has ever cited the Luna 24 work.'

Maybe the article wasn't so great.
edit on 6/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Well that would most likely explain it.. circulation of 2000.. and predominitely russians obviously.. thats not likely to make it into western news. Also, i guess cause it was during the cold war, maybe it was ignored because it was deemed as propaganda?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why wouldn't the Russians try to get the news out though? I thought the point of the space race was to be a pissing contest between superpowers?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
but we did one better! We sent the Viking probes to Mars the next year and found positive signs that were denied and explained away. The designer of the "search for life" experiments, a Dr. Levy, always insisted that the search was successful but denied for some reason. These days you will find papers that reconsider those experiments as being valid, but based on a new understanding of the Martian environment(!).

But as I've said before, the Viking orbiter probes also found signs that the grooves on Phobos could only be explained by an intelligent manipulation of the little asteroid into its near perfect close orbit around Mars. Course, no one believes that yet. But the proof is in the old Viking images of Phobos. Please keep that concept in mind. One day they will reveal that before they actually get around to admitting advanced life on Mars and the reality of UFOs here.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

i got to agree with him on this one, it was during the cold war. so, i would hazard to guess america would even ignore russians finding aliens on the moon back in those times. we hated them and they hated us(well it is still strained to this day), so any kind of discovery would have been completely shut off to people in the states.

Also, to me a .01% content of water seems negligible and could have just been from contamination of some sort. plus it didn't help that it was so poorly circulated.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
thecomingcrisis.blogspot.se...

The paper, published in the Soviet journal Geokhimiia, which had an English version, has never been cited by any Western scientist - despite the fact that in one small sample it found something that eluded the West's best efforts.

All published materials (books, newspapers, magazines, etc.) are available through the larger libraries in other countries. Geokhimiia shouldn't have been an exception to that rule. And, as quoted here, there was an English version of Geokhimiia available too, so we can't blame it on the Russian language either.
edit on 18-6-2012 by moonfaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
When the Nazis disbanded and the regime collapsed both the russians and americans grabbed as many scientists from Germany as they could. I'm not surprised we ignored their find. It was a space race against top scientists, after all.

new topics

top topics

join