It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans to colonize Mars by 2023

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

now.msn.com

​Dutch space company Mars One has unveiled their secret plan to have humans living (and dying) on the red planet by 2023. According to their video which hit YouTube today, the first four-person team will take seven years to reach their destination, with additional crews heading off every two years after that to live out their remaining days establishing a permanent settlement. While this sounds like the plot of a science fiction film, the project and the company behind it seem legitimate, having apparently been endorsed by Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist Prof. Dr. Gerard 't Hooft.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even if this is true, and I could participate in such a project, I wouldn't because there may be life after death and I think humans are meant to die on Earth, not anywhere else. Perhaps we as humans need to die on Earth so that our transition to the other side goes smoothly. If we die anywhere else other than planet Earth, it is possible that it might affect how we transition to the other side. I know it's kinda silly to think about stuff like that but you never know.

now.msn.com

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
When we have a perminent base on the moon, I'll belive we are going to colonize mars

Otherwise it's just a scam to make money and go bankrupt

Sorry but 2023 is too early in my book

Be safe people

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Very exciting!! I wouldnt do it myself, but thats pretty interesting

As soon as I read the quote in the OP saying about a youtube video, and seeing none posted... immediatly went to youtube and searched... Here we go

I know im pretty ignorant when it comes to the habitat on mars...So heres some possible dumb questions

Will they be able to breathe without space suits?

What about going outside without space suits?

Could they grow their own produce?

How about water? Can it be drilled for, or melted(I think i remember seeing there are ice caps)?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Seven years?

Uh... no.

Do they have any idea how much they will have to pack along in sustaining resources? You would have to launch a whole friggin' space station toward Mars.

Further - seven years in space will destroy the body. Bone loss is extreme, and the tissues can have some problems re-adjusting to a gravitational field (if you survive the crushing of your bones).

Psychological issues are another concern. People have enough trouble with each other locked aboard these things known as "ships" in the Navy. Sailors have a multitude of other compartments to disappear into and people outside of their immediate workspace to vent to (and look how they behave when they make port).

Being trapped with the same crew for seven years is a ridiculous amount of time. You can't get away from each other - you can't take a walk or drive....

This is just looking like a bad idea compounded with haste. A guaranteed formula for death.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Wow 7 years. Psychological issues between the crew will definitely develop way sooner than that.

I'm all for the advancement and colonization for other planets, but there needs to be a more efficient method of travel for this journey.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Didn't read the other posts so sorry if this is a double post- but this is kinda old.. I remember a company accepting applications for people who wanted to live on mars months ago- they had to be post-reproductive age. And it was a one-way ticket.

Don't remember where I saw it, but I remember being pissed off I couldn't apply.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

Interesting. Who will pay if something goes wrong though?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My coworker brought this article to my attention this morning, as she knows I am a big fan of anything space related.

To colonize Mars by 2023 is, to sat the least, an impossibility as far as I am concerned.

We haven't even sent a human to Mars, let alone a colony. Once we actually LAND PEOPLE on Mars, then I might believe that, later down the road, a colony on Mars will be possible.

I don't say it is overly impossible, but right now, it is.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think that it is very impressive that the company behind this is thinking of making this happen in the early twenties, but I have my concerns. Most noted in my estimation is the size of the habitat. In normal space travel, one is expected to spend only a relatively small portion of thier life in the un natural environs of a spacecraft and its life support systems. The cramped conditions, and spartan decor are just a fact of life that one puts up with because one knows that one is going home at some point.

However, I worry for the psychological condition of anyone selected to spend THE REST OF THIER LIVES in a series of life support habitats, which seem bloody tiny, and unable to return home to see thier loved ones, friends, family, or even thier own home planet, ever again. The only difference between being on the ISS for the rest of ones natural life, and this, will be the gravity, which, if anything, will make the lack of space even more of an issue.

This is not an acceptable environment for a person to spend thier final days, let alone the better part of a lifetime! Its one thing putting a person in a coffin, but one might have the decency to wait until they are dead first! Before mankind sets a colony on a planet, we should ensure that there is enough space to walk in, and a veiw of the sky that is uninterupted. If these people are serious about sending humans to Mars, then they should at least provide a transparant geodesic dome under which a person can retain the protection of life support, and yet see thier home star, observe thier home planet via telescope, and see the terrain upon which they are living out the last days of thier lives.

In my veiw the Earth to Mars mission, if it is indeed to be one way, then it ought to be enacted with the intent of building a true city there by degrees, with wide open concourses, room for hundreds of thousands, and all this being done well before mankind actually has to inhabit the space. There should be a myriad of robotic assistance for any potential arrivals including foundation diggers, dome panel constructors, tunnelers, welders, and survey drones. It is not good enough to merely land a pathetic little habitat like the ones which are planned, and colonise a tiny little spit of the place. You know where that will get our species? No-bloody-where!

I am all for colonising space, but I believe that there is no point starting small. We already started small. We landed on the moon, we took the first step. Now we need to run the marathon, right away. There is no time for completing toddler stage exploration like this. We need to move on to the real colonisation. Perhaps if mankinds explorers are unhappy with the cost of going full on in the Martian atmosphere with its winds and so on, they should colonise the moon first? One way or another, we are not going to get very far if we continue with these half baked, tiny scale projects. I agree that it would be an achievement to get man to Mars, and a bigger one to have him stay, but only if he can live in an approximation of the comfort he could expect here on Earth.

Look at this for a timeline. The Wright Brothers flew in atmosphere.Yuri Gagarin traveled in space, then Apollo landed on the moon.Next step should be setting up comfortable surroundings for future realistic colonisation of other worlds, not being sent to live out your life until you die in a lightweight steel tube in amongst some red dust and winds that travel as fast as bullets.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Colonizing Mars, possible. By 2023? Not a chance.

With NASA basically in the trash we would have to leave this up to China and Russia, and China is still a noob at their space program. So I am guessing it will happen someday, but not that soon. Just my opinion.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Do they have internet access on Mars?

How would anyone survive??

What happens when the aliens kick them out and they have no ride home?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Yes it is "silly":

Perhaps we as humans need to die on Earth so that our transition to the other side goes smoothly. If we die anywhere else other than planet Earth, it is possible that it might affect how we transition to the other side. I know it's kinda silly......

Where we die has no relevance.

Not on the scale of this Universe.....remember that the planet we currently live on is in CONSTANT motion...not only on orbit around the Sun, our host star.....but the entire Solar System is also in motion, as our Galaxy rotates.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

IF there are aliens around and curious about the Earthling space program, then this would most def bring some attention.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Lets go to the moon first.

There's Helium - 3 there.$$$

----
They also have a great view of the Earth.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I agree that a "goal" of the year 2023 is a bit over-zealous.

Still.....we willcolonize Mars, eventually. And, there will be subsequent political problems that ensue....as in, Mars (as a planet) or any community located there will eventually require to be "independent" and its own entity......there will be wars, over jurisdiction and "ownership"..... and basic rights.......mark my words.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

colonizing is not just arriving somewhere where people already where there and claiming a territory. if this venture succeeds it will by the will of the persons involved withstanding the responsibilities involved in actual colonization.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I like The Idea but for me colonization of the moon first would be a better starting place,if all goes well after a couple of years then start thinking of mars.

i'm always facsinated when projects like this come up.

will it work ? I hope so
will it be safe ? again i hope it will.

good luck to them

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Knowledge

now.msn.com

​Dutch space company Mars One has unveiled their secret plan to have humans living (and dying) on the red planet by 2023. According to their video which hit YouTube today, the first four-person team will take seven years to reach their destination, with additional crews heading off every two years after that to live out their remaining days establishing a permanent settlement. While this sounds like the plot of a science fiction film, the project and the company behind it seem legitimate, having apparently been endorsed by Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist Prof. Dr. Gerard 't Hooft.

Great, so we can go and destroy another planet....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join