It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Natural World Writing Contest [NATURE][Winners announced]

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
First, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who checked out my story, especially the ones who posted feedback. Its good to know what people think about your writing.

I've had the basic plot idea for that story in my head for almost 20 years now but, never had a reason to get around to writing it. What's the point of writing a story if its just gonna sit as a file on your hard drive and never get read?

Thank you ATS for providing a forum to share my ideas and try my hand at creative writing.

This was only my 2nd attempt in these contests (missed by 1 flag the first time, probably because I cheesed off the women
) and I'll probably contribute in the future if I have a story that fits one of the contests. Its fun to hear what people think about my writing.

reply to post by 74Templar

I don't think its too much about the writer being popular; Its more about talent and a good story that drives who gets the flags around here. JPZ's writing style is so much more polished and sophistocated than mine, its no wonder that members flagged him so much. Compared to his writing style, I sometimes feel that my stuff was pounded out by a bunch of stupid monkeys. All I can say is that I'm honored to be tied with him for 2nd place.

His popularity may help him to some extent but that's only because when people see his name attached to a thread or story, they know that there is going to be some high quality work and thought provoking writing in his stuff.

Its like having a brand name that you know will always come through with a quality product.

Now, as for why so many people checked out and flagged my story, well, that's a mystery the world may never solve.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Now, as for why so many people checked out and flagged my story, well, that's a mystery the world may never solve.

Uhm, no mystery there. Good stories equal much interest. People are bored with TV, the same old same old, but they can't often find the "new" and "interesting", however much they crave it. You did a fine job, and I hope to see more entries from you in the future. I hope that wasn't a single fart you had!

Speaking of entries......

masqua? Do we get another contest? You do realize you've created a mass of story spewing zombies, aye?

"Braaaaains! Must use our braaaaaains!"

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Of course there'll be another contest. I'll be starting one tonight. I apologize for keeping everyone waiting, but there's a reason. I'm really PO'd.

I live in a small community just outside of a small town which I specifically chose because it is normally very quiet and peaceful. There's a need for that because, as a painter, the less distraction, the better the work I do.

Now, my yard backs onto a fairly large pond and, this year, we've had a family of Canada geese strolling around munching on all that good grass and I have no problem with that whatsoever. However, some of my neighbours do. Regardless of the fact that they rarely set foot on their lawns and that a gardener cuts it all with a riding Lawn mower, they cannot abide the geese at all, waving their arms, yelling at them and more. Personally, I've found that just walking out my back door and clearing my throat keeps them away from the few flower beds I've planted. Usually, they go nowhere near and I don't worry about it at all. My studio looks out over that green expanse and my eyes are always drawn to them.

I watched them grow from little goslings swimming and bobbing along behind the goose or browsing the grass while the gander stands watch. My cat, normally out in the evenings, also loves to peruse their antics, but mother goose won't let him anywhere near. Every day, they were a joy to watch and recently, they've been losing their downy feathers and grown almost as large as the adults. They were just beginning to spread their wings and flap about and I knew, within a week or three, they'd be gone.

That was until last night.

A neighbour 5 lots down from me must have had a rotten long weekend, because he killed the only young gander of the bunch. The how of it is still out. A neighbour 2 lots down said he heard a shot. Myself, I only heard a honking commotion and went out to see the adult and gosling ganders seperated from the goose and 4 females. No doubt, the youngster and adult gander did as nature taught them and stood their ground until the females could get to the water. Because of that, they got seperated. The females across the pond and the males on my side.

By the time I got there, the youngster was in the water going in circles with it's head close to its body. It seemed to me its wing was broken. The adult stayed by its side even though I was only a few feet away from them. Then, the younster stuck its head into the water and stopped swimming and I knew it had died just then.

For me, hell has no fire hot enough for those who mistreat animals.

I've hunted and understand the wisdom of culling. I eat red meat, fish, fowl and particularly love venison. But I will never understand cruelty for cruelty's sake. That makes no sense to me and cannot abide those who deal out such injustice and find it something to laugh about. People such as these are psychopaths.

OK... rant over. I'll sleep on a topic overnight and get back to you tomorrow. Any suggestions are most welcome.

edit on 4/7/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Wow, I have to say that brought a tear to my eye reading that. And I wholeheartedly agree, anyone who mistreats or hurts animals for the sake of it, well I couldn't describe what should be done to them within the T&Cs sadly.

Is there anything that can be legally done to the person that did this? I know in Aust a lot of birds are protected from such actions, and hefty fines and jail time apply if they are broken. I just hope if not the person that did this has some really bad karma coming their way.

I do feel your pain in this my friend, and I hope some justice can come of it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

As a druid, I can feel how upset you are. Lack of respect for nature, and senseless death is horrible, and I am often ashamed to be a member of the same species.

Thanks for venting. You needed to get that off your chest. Accepting humanity, and all it's cruelties, can burden the best of us. The only way to deal with it is to release it, and move on.

I respect all living things, so perhaps we should honor the needless death of a helpless creature, and spin our stories this month regarding the inhumane acts that humans are capable of. Why do humans insist on being cruel?

I'm sure you'll find a topic for us to write about, presented with a slant to challenge us.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Every time I open a thread with [Winners Announced] in the title I don't see the winners. I am taken back to the rules of the contest. Where are the winners?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Right here.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The new contest is now open for entries.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by jiggerj

Right here.

Why is it in the middle of the second page? Is this the same thread used to explain the contest and you are able to insert [Winners announced] in the subject line at a later date?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Where would you like me to announce the winners?

In the OP, another thread or onto the thread at the time they are chosen?

As a moderator, I have the ability to edit months, even years after a posting but the edit date is always current. But the post with the winners was added onto the thread at the exact same time as the title was edited with [Winners Announced].
edit on 4/7/12 by masqua because: Edit to show the date of the edit and date of this post being the same.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by jiggerj

Where would you like me to announce the winners?

In the OP, another thread or onto the thread at the time they are chosen?

As a moderator, I have the ability to edit months, even years after a posting but the edit date is always current. But the post with the winners was added onto the thread at the exact same time as the title was edited with [Winners Announced].
edit on 4/7/12 by masqua because: Edit to show the date of the edit and date of this post being the same.

Naw, I just assumed it would be the first post. Now I know I have to go looking for it. No biggie.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Looking for it should be easy.

Just look for my posts in the thread:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Dunno how I found this thread but your gun-tooting neighbour is a prick and would get a piece of my mind.

One of the best things in the world to do is watch animals. I can stand at the back door for hours just watching the seagulls, starlings, and the swifts at this time of year. Next month I'll be looking out for the big Vs of geese flying in big groups to Africa or wherever it is they go to for winter. And I'm looking out for the robins having violent sing-offs for ownership of my garden.

Yes, your neighbour would have got a kick up the arse from me if it was my goose friend he shot. Idiot! He sounds like some of my neighbours who hate cats but they never take care of their gardens anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join