It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"This Thread Was Already Posted" A controversial look at posting threads "again"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
this is absolutely in no way what so ever a rant post against mods/admins/anybody.

this is a thought i had, about how i was personally annoyed about how annoyed people got when something was already posted.

please do not delete or move this thread, it is here only with good intentions. peace.

=======================================================================

if it was already posted, then why wasn't it on the front page?

if i didn't see it, im actually happy (not annoyed) that someone posted it "again"

because i don't know, what i don't know.

here on ATS, everything i see is about denying ignorance, and i think we should deny it further because

we can't "search" for something that we don't know exists.

while its easy for the poster of a thread to search before he/she/heir posts, it isn't easy for the people who are browsing or lurking the website in search for something interesting.

think about the lurkers, they people who prefer to reply, and share their opinion, more than they enjoy posting a new thread.

its a good thing, because people that haven't seen it before, now have the privilege to know about it.

the only thing that getting rid of threads that were "already posted" does- is stifle the spread of information.

information wants to be free.

=========================================================================

this is absolutely in no way what so ever a rant post against mods/admins/anybody.

this is a thought i had, about how i was personally annoyed about how annoyed people got when something was already posted.

please do not delete or move this thread, it is here only with good intentions. peace.
edit on 1-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

S&F

I agree 100%, especially with regards to "older news."

Sometimes it does get annoying when there are five different threads about someone eating a person's face. I think those threads can be consolidated, but that's breaking news.

When someone posts about an older event or situation, it does bring it to new attention. It also brings about a new discussion. ATS membership evolves over time; a topic discussed a year ago will not follow the same path if discussed again today. Sometimes I like to revisit an idea just to see if people have changed their minds.

Great thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

This again?!?!?

See here
here
and
here

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

This again?!?!?

See here
here
and
here

Lol'd hard.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I do tend to agree with you, that I have come across some great articles/info, that was a repost... But I wouldnt have seen it otherwise..

I mainly just check "New Topics" throughout the day, but like every day... So not much goes past me, but like you said, sometimes topics go unnoticed or didnt get enough attention...

Ill have to keep this in consideration for the future...

I think one of the main reasons people look down/try to correct it, if there is a great topic just posted on the left side of new topics, if it doesnt get alot of hits by the time its gone on the list, it rarely makes any "headlines"... And people dont necessarily want those topics to be drowned out by reposts...

Good point for sure

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I absolutely agree with you. Very seldom have I seen a thread on ATS that there was not already a thread of the same subject. If it were not for the NEWEST thread I would have had no knowledge of the event, especially if the other threads were written long ago. I do sometimes get frustrated when I see a subject repeated over and over within a few days of each other.
I don't see any reason for other member to have to point out about the previous threads, other then they just want to make a comment. We have MODS to handle this....

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Oh I don't know, however, after today, I can debunk this thread!

I was very happily in Internet-land when suddenly I was presented (outside of ATS--yes, there is an outside) with a subjective video. I reviewed it! Wow, I had thoughts! I wanted to know if others had thoughts, so I rushed on over to ATS and put the title of the video on the Search Engine.

Wow, sure enough, there was a thread and it came up at the top of the list! Pay dirt one would suspect! It was written on 06/28/12. I posted my thoughts, this was yesterday. I then go into the randomness of "Recent Posts", the very next day (today), and see a title that seems interesting but not at all indicating anything about the subject matter to which I previously posted on; low and behold it is the same subject, no more/no less, other than the fact that it was written on 07/05 and has several pages to it (four to be exact). Nothing to worry over, I simply would have gotten involved in the new thread but it is not a "new" thread and rather a duplicate, so I mentioned it, who wouldn't want to go to the "appropriate" thread?

I am very sorry I did that! The Moderator for that thread decided that it was "more interesting" to have four pages of dribble than one, so decided that the newer thread was more popular, as he said to me in my personal box, "the older thread did not have as much interest".

There was no additional "knowledge" that could be gained otherwise, either or would get a link to the "active" thread, the appropriate thread, no one would be out of the additional info, just linked. Now I am just sorry I mentioned that it was a duplicate because the originating OP has lost his "rightful" thread based on this Moderator's personal decision. In as much as "Intellectual Property" is the reality here, nothing is more of a slap than having such a thing happen to a person's work, in my opinion. Seriously, how am I suppose to differentiate right from wrong when a "newer thread" with an accidental higher posting can discredit Timeliness of action? Can I simply write more "entertaining" versions of other people's work, will that work? NO!

I can only see this as Favoritism (my opinion) since it was the decision of an individual acting on their own authority and not based on the reality that one thread is no more deserving then the next, but, must stand on its own merit. What kind of merit is "more interest" in the light of timeliness of action?

So I debunk this thread as nonsense. There is an outside force that can open your eyes to subjects, it is all over the Internet; even a real-live person can put a subject in a person's head enough to have to come here to ATS to discuss it "properly". If the search engine isn't working it is likely the operator or it is the thread itself being so insufficient that the subject is obscured by someone using the worst possible type of subject line, "You guys won't believe this", or "Hey, look at this"; you know what I mean. Even now I am trying to wrap my head around this much more popular thread; how is anyone going to find the darned thing once it falls out of cue? If I put in the subject, of the subject, I highly doubt I will find it without a proper subject line. So I guess the point is mute! (No sense in pointing out the thread as that is not nearly as relevant as the TRUTH of the matter).

I really lost faith tonight in this site, I really have, in all the years I have never seen such blatant favoritism! Yeah, yeah, advertisers, interest-generating "Interest"; how ridiculous of an excuse, especially considering this is ATS!!! I wonder what is the next excuse?

Now there is a rant, but deserving none-the-less, and perplexing in that "Deny Ignorance" does not mean for the Moderators who feel "Interest" is in our (ATS) best interest. No subject is that interesting that it should generate that kind of denial! Serious Fail ATS, serious Fail!

top topics

join