It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Bats Are Flying Around Massachusetts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If true then Mass. will have a lot less insects this year! Bats eat them in mass especially insects that fly at night like mosquitoes. What are you worried about bats are harmless and good for the environment. The rabies thing is way over blown...

edit on 6-6-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The really really big bats don't eat insects, they eat fruit, but you're right about the rest

Unless it's a giant mutant local species, which might eat insects, but might also be radioactive or have growth hormone issues or something.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by ravenshadow13

After looking up and so suddenly and unexpectedly seeing a 4 foot wingspan bat flying above me without any warning here in mass,an area where bats with only up to 12-13 inch wingspans are known to live,i'm looking for unusually large bats all the time now whenever i go outside...

edit on 5-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Wait the wingspan has now grown from 3 foot mentioned in your OP to 4 foot LOL? Not picking on you but your credibility wanes as to what you really saw and whether it was a bat or not... Plus your handle "blocula" as a take off of "Dracula" does not lend credibility to this either...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

After looking up and so suddenly and unexpectedly seeing a 4 foot wingspan bat flying above me without any warning here in mass,an area where bats with only up to 12-13 inch wingspans are known to live,i'm looking for unusually large bats all the time now whenever i go outside...

Wait the wingspan has now grown from 3 foot mentioned in your OP to 4 foot LOL? Not picking on you but your credibility wanes as to what you really saw and whether it was a bat or not... Plus your handle "blocula" as a take off of "Dracula" does not lend credibility to this either...

Do not tell him he contradicts himself. He has a photographic memory and remembers in PRECISE detail. The creature must actually be growing at that rate!!!

reply to post by THEDUDE86

Without trying to sound stuck up or conceited,i have a superior memory,a photographic memory

Clearly what we have is a case of him seeing something, deciding it's a bat, and it was not. Let's move on to something real now.

edit on 6-6-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
im live in the western part of mass haven't seen bats in years well havent heard any ether i should say

lol bocula is awfully close to dra-cula
i want to belive you op i know how spo0oky it can be in this libral wasteland we call home

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Heres the first line i typed in my opening post...

I saw an unusually large bat last night,here in massachusetts,with a wingspan of about 3 - 4 feet and whats really weird is the fact that bats in mass. dont get any larger than around a 1 foot wingspan...

And so i clearly stated then,that the bat i saw had a wingspan between 3 and 4 feet and after i typed my opening post,i took a 36 inch yard stick and balanced it up on a tall ladder,then walked away from it about 30-40 feet,the distance i saw the bat from and thats how i realized that it had a wingspan a lot wider than 3 feet and was actually closer to 4 feet across...

Blocula (the devils ballroom in sweden) is a word that was used during accounts and testimonies taken during witchcraft trials from mora sweden in 1669 and has nothing to do with dracula > bookdome.com...

edit on 6-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
So, are these bats somehow tied to this unearthing event? screen.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
With all of the Fallout from Fukushima that's hit America.....plus all of our own radioactive releases to the atmosphere from our own nuclear reactors.....

It's plausible there's some mutant bats now. Monsanto's genetically modified crops with toxins in their DNA to kill bugs....also could have altered bats DNA seeing how they eat bugs who've crunched on Monsanto's frankenstein crops.

Carry a 3 cell "D" maglite with a TerraLux MiniStar5B bulb.....or better yet a 4 Cell "D" maglite with a TerraLux MiniStar30M.......it'll light up that sucker so you can see it.....the MiniStar30M bulb will set the sucker on fire.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Real professional vampire hunters were employed here in new england (where i saw this massive bat) right up through the year 1915,where hundreds of graves have been intentionally and accidentally unearthed through the years and often the skeletons found within had stakes driven into their hearts and sometimes they were also decapitated as well,proving beyond all shadows of doubt,those types of strange and frightening things were not the inventions of hollywood and were not fictional stories written in books > crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com...

edit on 6-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I was speaking of the bat you saw. That Ozzie story is just gross. He was so high, he thought it was a prop.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Bats with four foot wingspans must have some fairly large teeth and fangs and the thought of one that size suddenly and silently swooping down within the darkness,violently thrashing its wings, screeching and biting without warning,is truly frightening and could actually happen to someone right here in massachusetts and anywhere else in the united states as well,because four foot wingspan bats are a reality around here,i saw one with my own eyes all too clearly...
edit on 8-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Sounds like KRYLL!!!!!!

Gears of War reference.
edit on 9-6-2012 by Surtur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It would be interesting if you had provided a bad boy pic

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have lived in Massachusetts all my life and grew up in the suburbs of Boston. I have also always been a "night person" and I have seen bats flying on many occasions.
This is why I was so intrigued by what I saw while surf casting in N. Eastham on Tuesday September 28th at approx 11:45pm, 12:20am, and again @ 12:35 on a clear well moonlit night. The first fly by and the others were from right to left just in front of me @ about 50-60ft up and 35-50ft out from where I was fishing from.
I have seen Night Hawks before and also Herons flying at night but generally it is rare to see the odd sandpiper, tern, or seagull flying that deep into the night.
As I saw two animals flying a few feet apart from my right I was surprised and from their size (approx 2'+ wingspan) I thought they were gulls. As they passed about 100 feet to my left one of the two peeled off sharply to he right diving and wheeling to a stall before re-joining the other one. This is typical of bats catching bugs. This is also when I noticed sharper more angular wings on them.
I asked a friend who works at a local zoo and he tells me: A) large bats don't feed on insects B) Few bats are migratory and it is usually for better hibernation areas C) There aren't any bats that large in Mass
Nevertheless I can't see the five animals I saw being anything else but bats. Besides the initial two I saw another single animal and then another pair - I can tell you positively they were not gulls!
Next fishing season I will just have to try to see these again. I truly think they were big bats. It would not surprise me as Cape Cod is a great fly-by for birds - I lived in Orleans for four years and we had some really interesting birds show up. As a matter of fact we actually had a juvenile Bald Eagle hang around the N. Eastham beach in 1977 picking carcasses the striper fisherman left on the beach.
Bat or not bat? You decide what you wil... I'm convinced, it was not like anything I've ever seen night fishing.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ok I understand the unlikeliness of a bat being around that big in Massachusetts, but come on, we're not talking about bigfoot or the fricken chupacabra here. We know for a fact that bats that size exist. We also know it's not unheard to find, especially with flying animals, creatures that have found their way way outside their normal habitats. This can happen either from human interference, or other factors such as bizarre weather, famine, or mental disease that creates confusion in the animal causing it to wander way away from home.

Either way, saying it's likely not a large bat is one thing, but insisting it can't possibly be is completely ludicrous.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: blocula

IDK I think you might of seen a hawk, eagle, or an owl, but I'd
have to be there to know for sure. See it makes sense that what
ever was up there flying about, was using the lights to find it's way.
Bats use sonar so a bat wouldn't need the light.

edit on Rpm101715v18201500000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Can bats that size survive in the MA climate?

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I forgot to mention in my original post that's one thing I love about night fishing on the cape. Low ambient light - you can see clouds of stars above.
If this were birds following lights they would have a tougher time than usual. This was a month after Labor Day in an area that is almost exclusively cottages... empty, unlit cottages, on the bluffs I could see. I suppose they could have been aiming for the lights at the public beach about 4/5 of a mile further down?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Forever possibly not, but for a time, sure, what time of year was it? Also for the guy mentioning sonar, and the person mentioning eating insects.

Both are wrong when talking about all bats. Flying Foxes, ect, fruit-bats actually do not have sonar, nor do they eat bugs. Instead they use their highly effective dog like nose on their adorable little faces to help navigate and find food instead.

Which begs the question as while I know a bit about bats I know not a thing about Massachusetts. What accessibility to fruits and berries are there in that state as large bats are most often fruit-bats and not insectivores.

My main point is when we start calling the completely plausible impossible without even considering it, when such things have and do happen, then we've gone from skeptics to close-minded. There's so many ways this is possible, heck there was a hyena in Europe at one point when no in in Europe even knew what one was cause some guy brought one there and let it loose to kill people.

The people thought it was a damn werewolf.

Out of place animals happen for weird and crazy reasons. Discounting it as possible solves nothing. Not saying it happened, but is not so crazy as to fall into extreme claims and near impossible category.
edit on 10/18/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I noticed in the OP blocula said that it soared.Does that mean it flew without flapping its wings?

If so,I thought bats have to flap their wings constantly to remain in flight.Not doubting, just asking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join