It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peeing in the pool and a lack of civility

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I came across this article today regarding the number of people who urinate in public pools.

If you're taking a refreshing dip in a pool with four other people, odds are one of you is urinating. This is not gross-out myth, but cold, depressing fact from a recent survey conducted by the Water Quality & Health Council, a scientific research group sponsored by the American Chemistry Council.

The survey, conducted in April, asked nearly 1,000 adults whether they urinate in pools. One in five bravely admitted their mistakes. And those are the ones who admitted it.

Young kids, ok. Open ocean, I guess. Pools, why? Why are people so messed up?

I rarely get a chance to actually go to the movie theaters to see a film. However, I always notice the same thing. At the end of the movie, people just leave their trash. Why is this a seemingly acceptable practice? They have trash cans on the way out, and the people are the ones bringing the trash in.

This type of laziness and lack of responsibility seems to be highly prevalant even in first world modern societies. Littering is another good example of this.

Humanity has some major issues and I think this type of behavior is a significant root cause to all others. Until people can start behaving responsibly and doing what they should, how can humanity hope to deal with larger scale problems?

Does this bother you? Are you the kind of person who leaves their trash in the theater and pees in the pool?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I haven't went (swimming, not bathroom!) in a public body of water since I was a young kid, and I'm 53 now.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Sadly, common sense and respect seem like things of the past anymore. No one cares about property that's not theirs. Another perfect example is public restrooms.
edit on 1-6-2012 by will615 because: spelling correction

link   
Leaving your trash on the floor or at your seat at the movie theater is ultimately LAZY. However, if you go to a theater that's known for "food & movies" like "Alamo draft house", you don't worry about your trash because it's like a resturant only you're in front of a movie. The waiter takes your trash.

link   
I find public swimming pools completely disgusting. Just thinking about being in the same water as people who maybe pee in it, haven't taken a shower in days or are otherwise filthy makes me wanna puke.
I'm glad i own my pool where i decides who's allowed to enter

And yes, a lot of people are just lazy. There can be a trash can 5 meters away from them, they drop their trash on the floor because it's too much of hassle to walk over
I don't understand it.
Same as those idiots with their stupid dogs and they don't clean what they left behind. I hate it.
edit on 1/6/2012 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

Thats understandable. If a worker brings you food and drink, its typical they clear it. In regular theaters though, it is simple laziness. Some may say, "they have workers who's job is to clear the trash." Sure, they workers may do that, but they are really their to clean up spilled popcorn and soda or if someone forgot some trash. People should be responsible enough to take care of their own mess.

Another example I see, and some may say I am being anal for this.. How many times do you pick something up in the a store but change your mind later on? Do you return the item to the location from which you acquired it or just put it down wherever you change your mind? I will walk clear across a store to return even a tiny item. If for some reason I am pressed for time, I at least give it to the cashier informing them of my change of plan. While it may only be an inconvienience to find something from one section in a different, if it is food that must remain refrigerated, it can essentially be destruction of goods/property. Think of how nice it would be if stores remained looking orderly, and how employees could better utilize their time to enhance the shopping experience if they didn't have to be picking up after lazy people. Just think about how messy things are near christmas time.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I've been taking my older toddler to a pool recently. He's just now completely potty trained, but still wears a swim diaper in case.

While swimming with him, I had to take a leak. I strongly considered going in the pool which is something I hadn't done is about 11 billion years, but shamefully, had done before.

Right about then, he walked out of the pool and told me he had to go potty.

Lesson learned. I would have been so disappointed in him if he had actually done what I considered doing.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Oh boy, don't get me started! Too Late.

How about:

People who leave disgusting messes in public bathrooms?
People who throw trash out of their car window, i.e. diapers, pop cans, cigarettes. Grrrrr...

People who change their mind at the grocery store and put meat on any old shelf in the store.
People who are too lazy to put their trash where it belongs.

Another thing that drives me absolutely crazy is seeing all kinds of trash laying on the ground,
or blowing around in front of a store.

People are just plain ol' lazy and don't care. If it's not theirs, who cares, right?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

While I will admit to the garbage leaving and what not, I never got the pee in the pool argument, especially pools that are opened to outside environments, it is utterly comical what the brainwashed masses will find "disgusting" compared to what is actually in that body of water.

Everyone is so grossed out by piss but 99% of people don't even know what it is and that it isn't "GROSS" or "HARMFUL" at all.

Urine is made mostly of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium - none of which are harmful to humans. None of these things are germs. In fact, just the fact of a pool being open contains more "natural" germs than an entire bottle of urine would ever contain as the damn stuff has been processed by your kidney's.

Not to mention the skin particles in the water and whatever is hanging around in there from people with open wounds. Every take a look at publicly used water and see those little white flakes? Yeah, all those nice little dead skin cells from people who hopped in and out of the water, and every time you swallow or take a splash of water up your nose, you become a cannibal for a moment eating human flesh.

So I'd take a moment before demonizing "urine" because it isn't actually that bad in comparison. It is an urban myth and how it came known to be so evil and disgusting for no apparent reason when in reality, in a survival situation, the stuff can be crucial.

Just my two cents.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The theaters in my local area do not provide trash cans in the theater or in the hallway as you exit. It's hard to clean up after yourself when there is no where to toss your trash.

Plus, it is the job of some young kid to clean up after each viewing. So our lack of civility actually creates a job for some people.

As far as peeing in the pool....get over it. We all have or do pee in the pool and I don't think it is a measure of personal integrity if you whiz in the pool.

Now if you drop a deuce in the pool we would have a problem.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Urine is sterile and while gross poses no immediate threat. Just think about people swimming with gonorrhea or AIDS/HIV who have open wounds.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
LOL!
Last time i was at a pool a kid leaked his number 2 out of his diaper and everyone ran out like there was no tomorrow, glaring angrily at every kid that had on a diaper! I mean really babies cant help that. But thats what happens when your in a pool designed only for infant to 3 yr olds.

It was poomagedon in that pool!
edit on 1-6-2012 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

I'm not saying that urine is necessarily dangerous to others if in a pool, its just a lack of courtesy and civility. Breathing in another persons butt gas is not dangerous but it is disgusting and uncivilized to be in a group of strangers ripping one after another if you don't have a medical condition.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Urine may be sterile, but it grosses people out. You may be ok pissing in a public pool, but I know other's aren't ok with it. It's the simple fact that people are too lazy to get out of the pool to use the correct facilities to pee.

You may be ok with it, but I guarantee you if you announced it to everyone in the pool that you were going to pee in it, you'd find out quick that not everyone is ok with it. IF it's your own pool, piss away, but if it doesn't belong to you, have some respect.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is why I do not go to public pools. And when I take my young daughter to the beach, if she has to go... we walk the ten thousand miles to the public restrooms. Yes, even if it means we have to lug all our crap along with us.

At movie theaters, I can't STAND to see people leave their trash. It's just plain rude and disrespectful, and makes things harder for the individuals who have to clean between showings. Having worked in the service industry (waitressing, cleaning, etc) for a large chunk of my life, I have great appreciation for the people who have to work so hard to make a buck. I try to make things as easy on them as possible.

People who throw their cigarette butts out their car windows. INFURIATES me. Especially if they are driving in front of me. I am a smoker. My cigarette butts end up where they belong, in the garbage. I don't smoke in my car. But if I stand outside to smoke before I go somewhere, I put out my butt and put it in a trash can. If there's no trash can, I put it in the plastic from the cig pack, seal it up, and stick it in my pocket until I do get to a trash.

People who litter at the beach also infuriate me. How are we supposed to enjoy ourselves with the seagulls picking at the garbage you left laying? Or if we are chasing YOUR garbage, because we don't want to see it junking up our "happy place".

ARGH, good rant post, op! Now you've got the veins popping out of my head as I think of all the crap people do that ticks me off.

OH, once, I was stuck behind a vehicle who's driver was flicking sunflower seed shells out his window as he ate them. They kept flying onto my truck. Because of the traffic situation and location, I was trapped there for at least a mile. I want to punch him in the face. I was (and am now, just thinking about it) SOOOOO ANGRY.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Sorry to say i have peed in pools countless times. I just can't help it..........when it has happened, it has come on so quickly there has been no time to get out of the pool to find a toilet, literally been a case of "ooh, think i need a..oops, too late".

I like to think i wouldn't if i could help it. Would also like to add i haven't been swimming for about 10 years so this isn't something for others to worry about! (with regards to me, at least).

Interestingly, i have never had this issue in the bath or in the sea so maybe it is something chlorine related with me?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I have always had pools and been around pools growing up and my parents to this day still have a in ground pool and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the chemical levels are correct in the water that there is zero danger from people peeing in the pool It would take a pool full of people and every one of them peeing at the same time all in the same spot for it to even be measurable. The chlorine in the pool kills everything. It is socially unacceptable but in all actuality there is really no reason for it to be. Do you think that water didn't come from a water treatment plant in the first place? What about tap water? You drink pee every day anyway so why are you worried about swimming in it when it is completely sterile anyway? I am not saying I go around peeing in pools but it isn't like it is causing anyone any harm in any way, shape or form. It is just a phobic thing people have.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The notion of someone peeing in a pool with so much chlorine in it stings my eyes out doesn't bother me at all.

I do remember my Dad banning me from swimming once Aids had reared it's head in the public eye though. I can see why he was frightened back then though.

That story about poomagheddon was hilarious and cute. Reminds me of the time my then 5 month olds bottom exploded on Omaha beach in Normandy during the Anniversary a few years back.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTardis
I have always had pools and been around pools growing up and my parents to this day still have a in ground pool and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the chemical levels are correct in the water that there is zero danger from people peeing in the pool It would take a pool full of people and every one of them peeing at the same time all in the same spot for it to even be measurable. The chlorine in the pool kills everything. It is socially unacceptable but in all actuality there is really no reason for it to be. Do you think that water didn't come from a water treatment plant in the first place? What about tap water? You drink pee every day anyway so why are you worried about swimming in it when it is completely sterile anyway? I am not saying I go around peeing in pools but it isn't like it is causing anyone any harm in any way, shape or form. It is just a phobic thing people have.

The point isn't whether it's dangerous or not, it's the fact that people are too lazy to get out of the pool to pee.

For that matter, water from a treatment plant also had crap in it, so does that mean it's ok to crap in the pool cause the chlorine kills it?

What's the difference?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I pee in my shower. I sing and pee. And talk to myself out loud, there. Something about running water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join