It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Green Lantern was black in the Justice League cartoon. I guess hes the token minority character

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Green Lantern was black in the Justice League cartoon. I guess hes the token minority character

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I've definitely been enjoying the New 52. I'd say Swamp Thing and Animal Man have definitely stood out as the best but Snyder's Batman has been great and as expected Morrison has done an amazing job with Action Comics. I really need to check out some of the new titles that just came out. Batman Incorporated should be good and I'm really interested to see how China Mieville translates to comics with Dial H.

Just to slip one more little plug for the New 52 lol.....aside from Swamp Thing, and the new Earth 2...I have been really enjoying the Justice League: Dark.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I do not see the need to expound on the sexual orientation of any cartoon character. Why ?
Do we care if Mickey Mouse is gay or straight ? What about Wonder Woman ? Dora the Explorer ? Sponge Bob? Personally, I would have guessed Robin the boy wonder but then I could be sterotyping.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You know whats sad?

People can't just accept this.

The wise-cracks, the jokes, the homophobia all has to surface instead.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Comic books aren't really cartoons, they are novels with pictures

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Check out Cyborg in the Justice League....he's a staple of the team.

And a self constructed superhero of technology...Supergenius

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Comics are for kids. Why is this important to children again?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Spare me

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The Green Lantern Corps take the very best from across a myriad of worlds. So to that end-so what. I'm sure the natural "sexuality" of some of the corps more 'exotic" members would leave the most jaded sexual deviant of Earth gaping in wonder.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Grrrrr. That was John Stewart, one of the Green Lanterns from earth. There are 3 more: Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, and Guy Gardner. In the Superfriends cartoon from the 70's, Hal Jordan was the Green Lantern they used for that cartoon series.

When you say "Green Lantern", well there are thousands of them all through out the universe.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Modern day comics span generations of fans, and some of the best modern art can be found in them

They most certainly aren't "just for kids".

link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Comics are for kids. Why is this important to children again?

Archie is for Children, Green Lantern is not.

"Comics" like movies and video games are "rated". It is a decidedly "old school" mindset to classify all "comics" are for kids. The genre has evolved in a manner such that it reached every corner of society and has something to offer almost anyone who cares to read. Pads and other electronic mediums offer new ways to experience the stories.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Helmkat because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2012 by Helmkat because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by neformore
You know whats sad?

You can call me a homophobe as much as you want. The one thing I am fed up with where gays are concerned, however, is their relentless evangelism. This is just another example of it.

Maybe if they didn't want people to believe that they're trying to take over the planet, it might help if they didn't act like it, quite so much.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by neformore
You know whats sad?

You can call me a homophobe as much as you want. The one thing I am fed up with where gays are concerned, however, is their relentless evangelism. This is just another example of it.

Maybe if they didn't want people to believe that they're trying to take over the planet, it might help if they didn't act like it, quite so much.

Oh if only the Gays would be quiet about the inequalities the world heaps upon them we might get some work done.

Believe me, if the world didn't make it an issue, then neither would Homosexuals.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Im with you me and the guys at work were pulling for wonder woman after all she did live on an island full of women. But to be turthful this something that should of been left well enough alone.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Homophobic is now such a blanket label.
You dont have gay friends, Homophobic.
Dont agree with gay marriage, Homophobic
Think its stupid for them to make a comic book hero gay after decades publication, Homophobic
Well, I guess I am Homophobic then

Makes about as much sense as making Dumbledore gay, years after the Harry Potter books were written.

Whats funny is the same groups that are against stereotypes and labeling, have lots of labels for people that dont fall into their line of thinking.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If anything, having no gay characters is PC. Because gay people are real and the only reason why they didn't have homo characters because it would offend the non-gay people (as you can see that it does with a lot of replies in this thread).

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sooo... now comics are going gay....? Long as blondie (dagwood), garfield and denis the menace remain the same, IDC... But the day one of them turns gay, someone is getting hurt...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join