It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by lokdog

This all started with Marvel. Northstar will be marrying his boyfriend this month. It's expected to be at least one of the top selling comics of the year.
edit on 6/1/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

Archie Comics also has a gay character and he's already married. They even made a special edition just for him.

The January issue's cover illustration shows Kevin Keller, Riverdale's first openly gay character who is also an active U.S. military officer, tying the knot with his African-American partner, Clay Walker. ComicsAlliance reported in October that the story of the couple's meeting, said to take place in a military hospital, "obviously deals with ['Don't Ask, Don't Tell'] but it doesn't spell it out for the reader," and may be revealed in flashback, according to Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater. When the miniseries was announced in 2010, author Dan Parent told the Associated Press, "The world of Riverdale has to reflect contemporary culture and to show it is an accepting, diverse place. And that's why Kevin is important, to show that everybody is welcome in this all-American town we've embraced for over 70 years." Parent was nominated for a GLAAD Media Award for creating the character.
Source of quote
edit on 1-6-2012 by knoledgeispower because: correction to statement

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
well personally I am anti-gay

I dislike it, but I won't tell others how they should act, I also don't like arab taxi drivers, guys that can't pull their pants waist up normal among other things.

hate political correctness trying to dictate my individualism.

on that note, I was sad to hear their decision and got rid of my collection this afternoon...

was given about 800 bucks for it, so gonna add few hundred to it and buy a new gaming pc with all the latest and greatest.. should give me 3 years like my current gaming pc has given me.

not a bad deal.

and screw DC, they can't make a do good super hero/crime fighter anymore, a plain male/female superhero is fine, stories are great.

but when you do crap like this you now drop an entire portion of your fanbase.

it would been better to keep it generic then every color & creed can enjoy it,

oh well

not like it's that big a deal, unless DC bankrupts or something. I no longer care or will view future movies.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

Archie was actually behind on the times. For example Northstar (Marvel Comics) has been openly homosexual since 1992. In fact his creator, John Byrne, always intended him to be homosexual (he was created in 1983) but due to the Comic Code it wasn't allowed.

If you want here is a list of homosexual characters for both Marvel and DC:

Marvel
DC

I'm not a huge follower of Marvel so I have to say I'm surprised that Daken, Mystique, and Union Jack are on the list.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by deepankarm

It is about civil rights.

Because discrimination is wrong, pure and simple.

How would you like it if a large group of people told you you couldn't get married because you weren't the right kind of person that deserve to get married?

I'm sorry, while there are some things I am critical of homosexuals for, and I do have some very unpopular views on the matter that will never be changed regardless of what they do to try to "normalize" it, I don't support discrimination and feel they should be allowed to have a civil union that has just as much rights and privileges as a marriage. And I'd love to get rid of the DOMA. The feds shouldn't have any power to say who gets married and who shouldn't. Marriage is a personal choice, and America was about life liberty and pursuit of happiness. That is to say, that we don't need a nanny states of America micromanaging every single aspect of our lives because some idiots feel that we have to do things their way.

In the society i live in, you can marry a dog if you wish.
No one can stop you getting married in spiritual context.
You can marry n number of times for me.
Point is, true love doesn't need anything else, much less the affirmation of others or state.

Marriage isn't a right, it's a duty.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Archie was actually behind on the times. For example Northstar (Marvel Comics) has been openly homosexual since 1992. In fact his creator, John Byrne, always intended him to be homosexual (he was created in 1983) but due to the Comic Code it wasn't allowed.

If you want here is a list of homosexual characters for both Marvel and DC:

Marvel
DC

I'm not a huge follower of Marvel so I have to say I'm surprised that Daken, Mystique, and Union Jack are on the list.

You are right I'm sorry, I forgot about those.
edit on 1-6-2012 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Once again this is not one of the Green Lantern Corps Green Lanterns. This is the original who hasn't been featured in his own comic since the 40s or 50s. I also think it's worth pointing out to everyone objecting to this that the Green Lantern you're thinking of (Hal Jordan) was in Green Lantern/Green Arrow. These are some of the most influential and socially progressive comics in history. Where were your complaints when Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal became addicted to heroin?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Cito

Once again this is not one of the Green Lantern Corps Green Lanterns. This is the original who hasn't been featured in his own comic since the 40s or 50s. I also think it's worth pointing out to everyone objecting to this that the Green Lantern you're thinking of (Hal Jordan) was in Green Lantern/Green Arrow. These are some of the most influential and socially progressive comics in history. Where were your complaints when Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal became addicted to heroin?

what is wrong with making the comic book characters like people in real life? Some people are gay, some people get addicted to heroin.

Again it's all about dividing and causing hate

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

What it's about is drawing public attention to discriminated aspects of society. As I have pointed out a few times in this thread the X-Men were a direct product of the civil rights movement. Not to mention the likes of T'challa, one of the smartest characters in the Marvel Universe. It's not about spreading hate or dividing the public. It's about showing people that we're all humans no matter what we look like or believe.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is a very bad example for children...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Outofcontrol

I agree. The adverse reactions in this thread are a bad example. Children should feel free to express themselves regardless of the expectations placed on them.

link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I personally think Aqua man would of been the gay one. Or maybe Robin. (definitely Robin)
What's next , Wonder Woman is not really a woman? All well... I don't read comics anyway

link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
So..the Green Lantern has come out. How will this affect the following and DC? I am a bit disappointed they did not just create a new character really. I have always liked Green Lantern but I am not so sure this was a good move for them.

Link to story

Green Lantern Gay

One of DC Comics oldest heroes is super-coming out. The original Green Lantern - a DC Comics mainstay for the past 70 years - will be revealed to be a gay man in next week's issue of "Earth 2." Alan Scott - formerly a married father of two who first appeared in 1940 - tips readers off to his sexuality early on in the comic when he gives his boyfriend a welcome home kiss. "He's very much the character he was. He's still the pinnacle of bravery and idealism. He's also gay," "Earth 2" writer James Robinson told The Post

edit on 6/1/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

Disgusting.

I agree with you they should have just come up with a new character to do that, as bad as that is already. Probably circulation is slow and they're trying to attract a gay readership to keep them afloat. Or the antagonists placed a gun on their heads and forced them to do that.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

Aquaman has been married and deeply in love since at least the 70s. Plus he's still married in the current continuity. As for Robin (I'll assume we're talking Dick Grayson) all I have to say is he dated and almost married Starfire. If that doesn't mean anything I think a picture will do the job.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

trying to go back in time to before i enetered this,dirty......
edit on 2-6-2012 by omegafire because: going back in time!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by omegafire

Well since you won't read the thread I'd be happy to take your collection. I'll assume it's not original #1s but even post Emerald Dawn #1s would be worth owning.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

What it's about is drawing public attention to discriminated aspects of society. As I have pointed out a few times in this thread the X-Men were a direct product of the civil rights movement. Not to mention the likes of T'challa, one of the smartest characters in the Marvel Universe. It's not about spreading hate or dividing the public. It's about showing people that we're all humans no matter what we look like or believe.

Ok so if its about "showing people that we're all humans no matter what we look like or believe" then why does it matter if there is a Gay Super Hero when there are Gay people in the real world?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Vasa Croe

*sigh*

Why couldn't it have been Wonder Woman?

Oh well.

DC is PC, now.

well....she WAS an Amazon.... wasn't she?
Maybe she can hook up with Storm from the x-men, I'd definitely buy it!!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Hmm, I would of put my money on Robin.

You know...Batman's "Boy Wonder"...living with another man in a cave...his name is "Robin".

But I don't really follow comics...I just watch them when they are made into movies

LOL...yep. That would have been my first guess as well. When I first heard this was going to happen I was actually thinking it was going to be Aquaman. I don't read comics either....but I do watch the movies as they are usually pretty entertaining.

They could have picked the Green Hornet and hooked him up with Kato... perfect match!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
How many gay kids are going to come out too soon, get picked on, then kill themselves because of this?

Probably not as many suicides compared to "Glee", but I'm sure there will be some.

Thinking it's OK to be gay because the Green Lantern is, only opens you up to much harsher ridicule, and gay teens are not emotionally stable to begin with.

Meh, if it wasn't for those nasty little cult churches having their kids sing songs and hate on others, there wouldn't be a problem

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
No more Green Lantern for me.

I wouldn't be opposed if they created an original superhero who was gay, but I just can't support turning an already established hero gay.

Call me a homophobe and berate me all you want, but this is how I feel.

Might as well make all superheroes gay. Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, Superman, the entire membership of the Avengers, Justice League, X-Men and every single superhero character in every single character gay.

Frag it, why not just make Garfield the cat have a gay romp with Linus and Charlie brown and Snoopy and Tweety?

Let's just make Bugs Bunny gay and have a foursome with Daffy Duck and Yosemite Sam and Pepe le Pew.

Create original characters that are gay, stop turning long established characters gay.

I'm sick of this "turn 'em all gay" crap.

well, they DO wear tights, so it shouldn't be such an issue!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join