It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Hypnotherapy Work? Looking for Answers....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Mods, not sure this is in the correct place, so do your thing if needed.

While driving to work today, a commercial came on extolling the virtues of hypnotherapy for everything from weight loss to smoking cessation, to bad habits and what have you.

Has anyone actually tried hypnotherapy for anything? Did it work? I've heard that some people simply can't be hypnotized, any idea if that's the truth?

Looking for personal anecdotes here, I've done some research online.

Thanks, ATS!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Interested in you stating your responses. If it does, there are a few things i would like help with! Like my reliance on the lovely cancer sticks i hang out of my face all day.........

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I've done work with hypnotherapy...I've had it done to me, experimentally. It worked wonders,it really did.
I decided to have it done to me for the purpose of overcoming my debilitating fear of death.
I don't fully remember the experience (you're normally put into a sleep-like state so that the information that the hypnotherapist is telling you is going straight to the subconscious mind as opposed to the conscious)
Its highly effective, however it depends entirely on the person in question. It doesn't work for everyone (just as there are some people immune to being hypnotized)
I say go for it...I really do. Worst case scenario: it doesnt work haha.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Brad-H

You see that's the thing.......in my mind, worst case scenario is me believing im a dog every the doorbell goes or something similar!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
There are a lot of myths and ignorance surrounding hypnosis.
I have been through hypnotherapy, and I have used hypnosis for many years successfully. I can tell you it works!

If you are average intelligence or above. You can be hypnotized, if you want to be. Those who claim "immunity" to hypnosis have either medical, mental, or other issues they refuse to let go of. The average person goes in and out of a hypnotic state several times a day, and they don't even know it.

Do some research and dtudy if you want to know the truth. Talk to a board certified hypnotherapist. There are also medical and dental doctors who use hypnosis for pain control. Especially chronic pain, in the case of doctors.

If I can answer any questions for you, I will, to the extent of my knowledge. There are a few other members here that know more than I do, but I can't think of their names at the moment.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Brad-H

You see that's the thing.......in my mind, worst case scenario is me believing im a dog every the doorbell goes or something similar!

Not gonna happen. The patient is in control of the session. Very few people can be put into the somnambulistic state required to make you think you are a dog. It requires much trust between the therapist and the client.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thanks for the info! Do you know if a person tends to need many sessions? I'm sure it depends on the client but a general guess is fine.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

It also depends on the problems being addressed, and the therapist themselves. But most common problems take between 1 and 4 sessions.

Don't overlook the CD's you can buy online from reputable hypnotists either. They can be very effective depending on the person. Steve G. Jones is one who comes to mind.

Self hypnosis is also effective once it is learned, and all the mystery disappears, and it is realized how simple it really is.

Good Luck.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Hypnosis as a therapy is a proven method for different disorders. Regarding hypnotizability, as was mentioned above, almost everyone of at least average intelligence can be hypnotized. Actually, the more intelligent but even more important, the better your ability to imagine, the easier it will be to get useful results in trance.

Try to keep away from show hypnosis though. While it is not necessarily dangerous during the show, there can be some aftereffects. These can include slow return to normal waking state which is dangerous when having to drive home or psychological abreaction (e.g. you start to cry for "no apparent" reason) which the showman cannot professionally treat.

Hypnosis is actually one of my hobbies. However, I am not a therapist. I use it for, [cough]adult[/cough] fun

P.S.
I like your avatar picture

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RationalTeddy

Thanks for the advice and for the kind words about my avatar. I don't remember where I found that pic, but the colors and her smile really got me.

I have a thing about smileys.

Wonder if hypnotherapy could help there....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I do not think anything should be done if you like smileys

She looks kind of like the lady from the We Can Do It! propaganda posters from WWII.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Here are two other DVDs that may help with Self Hypnosis. From what I understand all Hypnosis is self hypnosis. Wendi Friesens' DVD "Self Hypnosis Mastery" and the followup DVD "Self Hypnosis 2 - The Power Within... Master Your Destiny!" are the ones I go to. She is a Clinical Hypnotherapist. Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I have been on both sides of the hypnotherapy chair, as a hypnotherapist and also as a client.

Anyone can be hypnotized as long as they are willing to try it. Someone who doesn't want to give it a try will really not benefit from it, because it does take a willingness to change something on the recipients behalf in order to be successful. As with anything, self effort is needed for success.

I can only speak for myself and my clients, but there is never a time during our session where you are not in control and conscious not only of where you are within yourself, but also there is always a conscious acknowledgement of what you are doing and where you are, although your sensory input from your surroundings will be greatly diminished because of the deepened hypnotic state you will be in, if this makes sense. It is extremely similar to meditation.

The number of sessions depends on how difficult it has been for you to overcome the situation you are working on and how much reinforcement is needed to respond with a permanent cessation of said problem, or simply how open and willing you are to overcome it. For example, I had a friend that went to a large group stop smoking session on a whim (it was not my group). It lasted 45 minutes but she said it felt like only ten. After this one group session she never went back to smoking.

I would encourage you to give it a try! The hypnosis CD's are a great and inexpensive place to introduce yourself to hypnotherapy. If you like it and want to work one on one with a therapist, I can give you the names of some credentialing organizations that can help you find a qualified therapist. I myself would love to be able to skype with clients but I am a nursing student and working full time in the hospitals and don't have the time anymore. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck to you, and let me know how it goes!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Thank you very much. I just might be in contact!

new topics

top topics

join