It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 pound lead coffin mystery

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I found this.....
Society of Fellows of the American Academy in Rome Weblog

Latest news from the SOF and AAR
« Ten Days in Sicily for AAR Fellows, with the American School of Classical Studies at Athens
AAR Resident Mary Gibson FAAR’03 Explores History of Rome’s Prisons after Italian Unification »
Gabii Project, AAR in the News for Lead “Burrito” Casket Study Effort

The mysterious Roman imperial “lead burrito” coffin. Photo: Gabii Project

You may have seen the headlines: “Mysterious lead coffin found near Rome”. “Ancient lead sarcophagus contains Roman VIP”. “Lead ‘burrito’ sarcophagus near Rome may hold a gladiator or a Christian dignitary”. And perhaps most to the point, “What the hell is buried in this half-ton coffin?”

Source

edit on 1-6-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

edit on 1-6-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

no one will wonder. have you ever been there?

it's well-marked.

In 2000 years, it probably won't be marked at all.

Future archaeologists will dig down, and say "Woah.. why is this grave surrounded by tons and tons of concrete?"

Just saying.. perhaps it's a similar situation here.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Nicola is a male given name in many countries,especially in Italy and Eastern Europe.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cookiemonster32
I remember seeing a while back that archeologists had unearthed a 1000 pound lead coffin wrapped up like a burrito they were going to find out what was inside that was so important to encase it in so much lead and then I have heard nothing more about this I was wondering if anybody else had any more info on this find cheers www.livescience.com...

Legend has it that Attila the Hun was buried at a secret location inside the three separate coffins. First a gold one, then a silver one, then the outermost being of iron. After burial, the entire crew of gravediggers and coffin-makers was executed to help ensure that it remained undisturbed. The general location is plausible enough and the article didn't have any information surrounding the estimated dating of the artifacts.

Maybe we are looking at a mistranslation/embellishment and the "iron" was really lead for reasons of economy?
It's a long shot, and extremely optimistic...but I suppose we can hope, huh?

Great article, though!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Nice find. I'm always interested in news stories like this from the archaeological community that just disappear without a trace.

20 years ago, I remember hearing a radio announcement from a VERY excited radio commentator that Egyptologists had discovered the tombs in what they were calling the "Valley of the Queens", and that they made the "Valley of The Kings" look like paupers, and that there was going to be a massive press conference the next day.

Nothing ever happened, never heard about it again.

Personally, I think that the cover up of the true development of the human time line by the archaelogical community based on what they're finding is the biggest conspiracy in history.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Wow, just tried the link, it said I had to tell if I watched a fight on cable or not to be able to read past the first sentence, SO,,, that is all of the article I read. But after reading posts thus far, (which I get more out of anyway as there are some amazing minds here that bunk/de-bunk QUICK !! ), here is my take, The Romans had possession of that lead thing for a long time, they plundered it from somewhere. It dates back (can you carbon date lead?:puz
to Sumerian times, the "Flying Disc" must of had some mechanical problems, crashed etc. The "radioactive" pilot is buried in that thing. Think,,, " AREA VI "

Wait, I just said area 6, I should have paid more attention in school, correction should be " AREA L I " But THAT doesn't look right. Somebody please help me make a Roman Numeral "AREA 51"
edit on 1-6-2012 by skycowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
maybe someone finally dug up the devil.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
What if they opened it and found copper on the inside? Making this the biggest ancient battery found. A larger Baghdad Battery where you would add vinegar and be able to store a charge.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Could be a dead Alien, but I doubt it. More likely it's somebody important from back then that held alot of power. Wait a minute, I know now what it could be. It's that monolith black cube thing from the movie 2001!
~$heopleNation
edit on 1-6-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
have you ever noticed that when there is a really intriguing find the media is really cheap with the photos?

with this coffin, they have obviously unwrapped it. do you think they would publish a photo? no.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

They have to keep the sheople in the dark until they make sure it's not something that is too much for their feeble serf minds to handle. That's why we have not heard much about it anymore until this very thread by the OP. It's not very hard to imagine just how much history and information that has been buried all in the name of National Security or what is supposedly in the best interest of the public. The Deciders decide what we need to know about, and what is only for their eyes and minds to view and understand. Apparently, We can't handle the truth. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

Nice theory of what's hiding inside the container. It may seem like a sarcastic response to many who read your post, but lack basic knowledge describing many characteristics present whenever the Arc was near. The ability to kill men in a flash and the precautions taken when dealing with the presence of the Arc.

The traits, found exclusively in descriptions of the Arc, could warrant a large container made of a material that may block it's powers, making it safer to handle.

Even without indisputable evidence of the Arc, it seems plausible that it could be some sort of nuclear reactor, used to power things and doubling as a weapon for who ever possessed it.

I know it is far fetched to think the container of the Arc may have been found, but that is what makes this type of speculation fun for me.

I have been interested in the Arc of the Covenant for some time and, like many, I want to know the true function/s of it. Unless I have missed some descriptions or popular theories, the historical information points to there being only 1 single Arc.

This is something I have formed an opinion about, for myself. I believe it is entirely possible that the Arc could have been some sort of electrical generator or nuclear engine, providing power to the ancients - maybe just the ancient elite.

Looking at it, as well as the positions the pyramids were built in (not only on Egypt, but in pyramid sites around the globe) and the theory that the pyramids were some sort of electrical generator, it could be speculated that the Pyramids were designed with this knowledge in hand.

The pyramids may have been built to work in tandem with the Arc. Without the Arc, the pyramids are useless constructions - regardless how awe inspiring imposing the pyramids may be.

If there truly were only 1 Arc ever built, then maybe the pyramids were aligned around the globe in such a way that when the Arc was in use in one pyramid, a web of wireless energy was created, making electricity accessible at all pyramid locations.

This does seem to be a stretch... if the pyramids did work in tandem with the Arc, then the existence of only 1 Arc and the ability to provide energy to different locations, thousands of miles apart, seem preposterous(?).

I find it more plausible to think there may have been more than 1 Arc. I have developed an opinion based solely on my speculation. Maybe all pyramids were constructed by the same builders, designed to function with an 'Arc' mechanism to create wireless power sources around Earth.

In the Great Pyramid, there is a chamber where the stone used is rose colored and has a large, stone 'box' built in the center of the room. It is labeled as the King's Chamber or the burial chamber I think.

Anyway, my point is that the rose colored room was not a final resting place for a pharaoh or whatever else is theorized as the purpose of the room. I think it's possible the Arc would be positioned in this room when it was being used to generate power.

This theory calls for more than 1 Arc and maybe even different 'models' of Arcs, each designed to function properly in different types of pyramids.

Because there would be a need for several 'Arc' devices to power different pyramids then there would surely be a need for a way to safely transport each unit. If one needed to be replaced or transported to another pyramid, it would need to be done safely.

This need could have been met by the construction of a large lead 'coffin' where the device would be stored and transported to other locations, maybe even sealed off and buried, as a way of disposal when the device had expired.

Maybe these devices were very rare and expensive to produce, so one region may have several pyramids, but only 1 Arc to power them. In this scenario, the need for a safe mode of transportation would be a high priority - to keep the people and, maybe more importantly, the device safe.

This theory calls for more than 1 Arc generator to exist, creating need for multiple 'safe' transport or storage containers. If true, we can expect to find other 'safe containers', similar to the one in the OP, in different locations around the planet.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
How interesting, they found something similar, a lead lined Roman burial in Winchester, UK, back in 1985. Unfortunatly it only had a dead Roman inside and no radioactive black death infected zombies. It sounds similar as it was constructed from one sheet of lead.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Looks like a giant!......

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
I imagine once President Lincoln is exhumed in the far future, they will wonder the same thing. His grave was violated enough times, that they feared for his body. So they reburied him some 10 feet down, and poured I don't know how many tons of concrete over the coffin. I imagine in the future, conspiracy boards will wonder what the heck is in that grave.

One major difference...it is very easy in our day to get concrete. From what i have read it was very hard and expensive to get a large quantity of lead in their time.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86
reply to post by cookiemonster32

This is my first time hearing about this....But I've got a wild idea. What if it's the ark of the covenant. Ancient Aliens (yes the tv show) once suggested that the ark of the covenant was potentially some sort of radioactive energy generator. What if it's the ark encased in lead? Even though lead is extremely heavy I wonder at the weight of the thing. I know it's a pretty far out idea...but if you found the ark would you report it to everyone or would no one hear from your story again for various secretive reasons?

Looks kinda flat for an ark.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Here is a video of them lifting it out of the ground...
www.youtube.com... (Part 1)
www.youtube.com... (Part 2)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
I found this.....
Society of Fellows of the American Academy in Rome Weblog

Latest news from the SOF and AAR
« Ten Days in Sicily for AAR Fellows, with the American School of Classical Studies at Athens
AAR Resident Mary Gibson FAAR’03 Explores History of Rome’s Prisons after Italian Unification »
Gabii Project, AAR in the News for Lead “Burrito” Casket Study Effort

The mysterious Roman imperial “lead burrito” coffin. Photo: Gabii Project

You may have seen the headlines: “Mysterious lead coffin found near Rome”. “Ancient lead sarcophagus contains Roman VIP”. “Lead ‘burrito’ sarcophagus near Rome may hold a gladiator or a Christian dignitary”. And perhaps most to the point, “What the hell is buried in this half-ton coffin?”

Source

edit on 1-6-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

edit on 1-6-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

Interesting, that first picture looks like there was lead panels over the grave also...that is a lot of lead!
edit on 1-6-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by cookiemonster32
I remember seeing a while back that archeologists had unearthed a 1000 pound lead coffin wrapped up like a burrito they were going to find out what was inside that was so important to encase it in so much lead and then I have heard nothing more about this I was wondering if anybody else had any more info on this find cheers www.livescience.com...

Legend has it that Attila the Hun was buried at a secret location inside the three separate coffins. First a gold one, then a silver one, then the outermost being of iron. After burial, the entire crew of gravediggers and coffin-makers was executed to help ensure that it remained undisturbed. The general location is plausible enough and the article didn't have any information surrounding the estimated dating of the artifacts.

Maybe we are looking at a mistranslation/embellishment and the "iron" was really lead for reasons of economy?
It's a long shot, and extremely optimistic...but I suppose we can hope, huh?

Great article, though!

Look at the link provided by Plotus above...the grave had metal plates over the inverted V shaped mound above the lead coffin.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cookiemonster

Everyone listen up gather round people. get comfy.
First thing I want to say is Kudos Cookie monster. Star and a flag and a cookie for you.

K
Now what the hell is going on with everyone else ? Let me ask you people something ? Do you think it's ok that I just read three pages about this mysterious lead coffin uncovered in Gabii Italy in 2009 that Cookiemonster was kind enough to bring to our attention and get almost nothing more than what was in the OP already ? Three pages into this thread and this is the best we can do ?

Now I'm not angry with anyone in particular .........BUT!.........I'm afraid we might all need a little reminder of who we are right now. So I've arranged a lil something for us at this point, seeing this thread has just made top spot on the headliners page. I'm not happy with this so far people. So try to draw what ever it is you need from this and then get busy and get our client some answers.

I hope this helps !

edit on 1-6-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join