It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera: Gitmo Prisoners 'Tortured' With 'Sesame Street' Music

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Actually, my husband used to watch Sesame Street in his native Tunisia. It was an Arabic-language version called "Iftah ya Simsim".

The music is actually pretty charming. Not sure about being forced to it hours on end, but still.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
I would think if they really wanted to torture the prisoners with music they would make them run the Disney ride "It's A Small World" for eight hours a day. Sesame Street is tame compared to that.

HAHAHA! *shudder*

Or they could put them on an endless looping Rhine River Cruise at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I went once. NEVER AGAIN. I did not know it was possible to be bored to death on a ride, but it is.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
Sesame Street for days on end? What a waste of time. They should have used Rosanne Barr singing the National Anthem. I know I'd crack in less than an hour.

They want them to crack not commit suicide.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I guess a lot of you don't think that being chained to the floor in a squating position for hours while listening to a repeating loop of music is torture, because that's how they do it, they handcuff you to a ring bolted to the floor while you are in a squating position for hours. But I guess a lot of you don't think that that is torture or that it's OK to torture people. That's YOUR government, torturing people. Makes ya proud to be and Amerikan doesn't it? Chairman Mao and Stalin would be proud. See how funny you think it is when they come for YOU.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
I would think if they really wanted to torture the prisoners with music they would make them run the Disney ride "It's A Small World" for eight hours a day. Sesame Street is tame compared to that.
Amen to that!
Still, the folks at Gitmo are a cagey lot (no pun intended). No Metal? Merely Sesame Street?

Monsters! Here's how they did it!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Penny Saver had a jingle on the radio a few years back that was so bad and annoying that listeners were actually calling in to the radio station and requesting it not be played or that they drop pennysaver as a sponsor so that they wouldn't have to hear the song anymore. It got pulled pretty fast.

That would destroy detainee moral real quick.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'll be laughing for an hour now.

They could have added the episode where Bert and Ernie got married.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Haven't you ever been in the shopping mall during Christmas? Now this is as just painful, if not worse 10 fold.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Nephlim
Dang, that PSYOP sure was effective, everyone just jokes and jokes and ignores the issue.. I'd expect more from ATS but half the people here aren't here to have a mature discussion. Whoever thought of that surely got promoted.

Yes many things went on over at Gitmo.

However, at this stage of the game not everything can nor should be taken as MANNA from heaven. But feel free to fall all over yourself and believe it lock stock and barrel.

what am i not supposed to take as Manna from heaven? you think hearing about torture is manna from heaven for me?

You think i like that we're violating the War Crimes Act, U.S. Torture Act and the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005?
You think i should just ignore that we've prosecuted Internationals as late as 1983 for waterboarding?

These methods were clearly understood to be war crimes during the 1948 Nuemberg Trials.. The punishment was death.

What should i not beleive lock stock and barrel? America has admitted to doing all of this

Waterboarding: The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Material is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over them, asphyxiating the prisoner. Hypothermia: The prisoner is left to stand naked in a cell kept near 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius), while being regularly doused with cold water in order to increase the rate at which heat is lost from the body. (A water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often leads to death in one hour.[53]) Stress positions: Prisoners are forced to stand, handcuffed and with their feet shackled to an eye bolt in the floor (and/or wall), for more than 40 hours, causing the prisoners weight to be placed on just one or two muscles. This creates an intense amount of pressure on the legs, leading first to pain and then muscle failure.[54] Abdomen strikes: A hard, open-handed slap is dealt to the prisoner's abdomen. Doctors consulted over the matter advised against using a punch, which could cause lasting internal damage. Slapping: An open-handed slap is delivered to the prisoner's face, aimed at causing pain and triggering fear. Shaking: The interrogator forcefully grabs the front of the prisoner's shirt and shakes them.

its been documented and verified countless time that these types of things go on.. its made the news, both local and international, The CIA has admitted. Bush has admitted to these things publically. The only thing they say is that its not torture...

The rest of the world knows its torture

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

And do you think US Servicemen/Women captured by the enemies are treated like the Royals? Comedy is the way to get serious. Surely we can dive into the dirty details if you wish but this topic is about the torture mechanism using 'Sesame Street' music.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I have to say, if they were tortured with Sesame Street music, they must have been pretty weak individuals in the first place.

Sesame Street music? Laughable at best.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HEYJOSE

That's YOUR government, torturing people. Makes ya proud to be and Amerikan doesn't it?
Enlighten us about your government and their torture methods if you think you're really proud of your government.

Chairman Mao and Stalin would be proud. See how funny you think it is when they come for YOU.
Sounded like the theme song from COPS episodes.

edit on 1-6-2012 by hp1229 because: quote marks

edit on 1-6-2012 by hp1229 because: edit grammer

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Music can be torture, for sure.
I remember a while back when I was younger, night fishing in Hastings, the radio wouldn't stop playing Boyzone's No Matter What.....

I smashed it and threw it in the lake, plus I didn't catch anything and paid an entrance fee, it was torture.

That silly song playing again and again made me go nuts.

Imagine sesame street over and over again, high volume, with a bag over your head.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Nephlim

And do you think US Servicemen/Women captured by the enemies are treated like the Royals?

If the bad guys are setting the rules of play, then you've already lost.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Nephlim

And do you think US Servicemen/Women captured by the enemies are treated like the Royals? Comedy is the way to get serious. Surely we can dive into the dirty details if you wish but this topic is about the torture mechanism using 'Sesame Street' music.

So because they do it we can do it? This isn't elementary school. We're the number 1 nation in the world fighting some insurgents.

I am talking about sesame street and how it's used to legitimize U.S. torture techniques. maybe if you'd been paying attention you'd realize that.

If you read that example i left, it wasn't the beating, the lying in a cell full of human excrement being pissed into by guards, the rape with a JAGGED WOODEN STICK and then a gun that caused severe internal bleeding or the sleep depreviation that made that man fold.. It was the music played so loud into his ear that he suffered permanent hearing damage and couldn't hear after.. It was so loud he said he lost consciousness and his sanity...

So yeah, if you can't see how laughing at Sesame street belittles and skirts the situation then maybe you need to take a step back and think about how effective the U.S. Government is at making all of you just laugh and joke, and most importantly legitimize torture. You just got PSYOPed so hard I'm surprised your ears aren't bleeding.

If you don't think its a big deal still, maybe you wouldn't mind standing in a puddle of feces, getting raped by a rifle so hard your bleeding internally, and then having everyone laugh at you because you listened to sesame street.. but no, you'd rather just joke about cookies than think about whats actually going on huh?

100 DETAINEES DIED DURING THESE INTERROGATIONS!! How is that an interrogation??

edit on 2-6-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

It's not.
It's an exaggeration...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

It's not.
It's an exaggeration...

its actually a fact

www.salon.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

www.politico.com...

thinkprogress.org...

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Good guys don't use torture or advanced interrogation techniques period.

That's what separates the good guys from the bad guys. Good guys don't do what abd guys do.

If good guys do what bad guys do then the bad guys win, even if the bad guys are caught and put in jail.

edit on 2-6-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Ok let's get real this country has used torture since WW2 and up to the Johnson administration to the Clinton adminstration right up until they wanted to make it an issue to destroy a man and a party to get in to power.

Rendition has been around for decades and guess what people?

It is still being used.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

I thought we were talking about 100 deaths at GITMO.

WASHINGTON — In a scathingly revealing new report, the New York-based group Human Rights First reports on nearly 100 detainee deaths that have occurred in U.S. custody in Iraq and Afghanistan since August 2002.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join