It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should P. Diddy's son accept his $54,000 athletic scholarship from UCLA???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This is definitely not the usual ATS story, and thats why I like it, to me, its kinda thought provoking and its sports related which i love...This is one of those stories where I'm truly on the fence.... You may or may not have seen this in the news recently, but if you follow sports here in USA you probably saw this story. Recently, P Diddy's son Justin received a full athletic scholarship to play football at UCLA. The kid definitely earned it, he busted his butt in school finishing with a 3.75 GPA. The University and Combs (Diddy) family are taking heat from the public over this scholarship, many people believe he should give the scholarship back and pay his own way beacuse his father is worth a reported $550 million. Understand the father purchased his son a $360,000 Maybach recently... Yea, they have that type of money.... But the reason I'm writing this thread is to get the opinion of others to whether the kid should accept the $54,000 scholarship, or should he pay his own way, which means another, probably less fortunate, student can go to school........ The dilemma....I'm leaning towards him not accepting the scholarship... But thats just me...

And mods, if this is in the wrong area feel free to move it to the right forum...

From the article

As Justin Combs, the son of rap mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs, prepares to head to UCLA to play football for the Bruins next season, some are questioning whether the cornerback should pass on the $54,000 athletic scholarship awarded to him by the university because of his family's wealth.

UCLA released a statement Wednesday explaining that athletic scholarships are not based on finances and do not rely on taxpayers' money. The University of California school system is currently facing financial problems.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
He earned it! But since his family has the money to put him through, the noble thing to do is to leave it for a kid that's less privileged.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The kid doesn't need the scholarship. How many people could that money help? If the little bastard has a Maybach he should sell it and pay his own way.

Guess this proves you can't buy class.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
He earned it. It's his.
Meanwhile, sure,is there another student who almost made the cut but Diddy's son beat him out for the scholarship? Maybe give it up to that guy? I dunno.

If I had as much money as Diddy, maybe I would pay for someone else to have the opportunity? I don't really know what I would do. I've never had any such wealth to really act in such a situation.

Anyway, I have no idea what Diddy does with his money and who knows, maybe he already does such charitable things.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
He earned it! But since his family has the money to put him through, the noble thing to do is to leave it for a kid that's less privileged.

Yea thats where its tricky... On one hand, he earned it, but on the other he doesnt need it..... Its like Warren Buffett collecting his $1200 Social Security check each month...
edit on 1-6-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
He earned it! part of the reason they throw scholarships isn't to help the student BUT so that they are guaranted the athlete. Its not given because he needs it. Its given because he earned it and they want him.

They are basically paying him to be their athlete they're not paying him to go to school.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I would agree with you, forgo the scholarship award, and even create another one funded by Mr.Combs. This would be a good p.r move, and people might think more of Mr.Combs for it, he would,nt miss the cost......

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
...P Diddy's son Justin received a full athletic scholarship to play football at UCLA.

But of course its not just Justin.
His family is rich, but he's not the only one.
There are many students of rich families at UCLA.

If you say he should not get the scholarship, then really you ought to be saying that NOBODY who can afford to go without the scholarship can accept one.

What the "naysayers" have to demand is that before anyone gets a scholarship, the UCLA must demand proof of income, assets and liabilities from each student, and also their family.

Otherwise you're just picking on one person and not dealing with the issue.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
[SNIP] puff daddy. If only this could happen to a person who deserves it

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

...P Diddy's son Justin received a full athletic scholarship to play football at UCLA.

But of course its not just Justin.
His family is rich, but he's not the only one.
There are many students of rich families at UCLA.

If you say he should not get the scholarship, then really you ought to be saying that NOBODY who can afford to go without the scholarship can accept one.

What the "naysayers" have to demand is that before anyone gets a scholarship, the UCLA must demand proof of income, assets and liabilities from each student, and also their family.

Otherwise you're just picking on one person and not dealing with the issue.

I agree that Justin Combs shouldnt be the only player to suffer from this, but if a family is over a certain wealth, I dont feel they should receive, or take, any scholarships that could go to the less fortunate...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Keep it. Isn't America about giving everyone an equal shot?

Who cares if Daddy is rich. At some point the kid has to make a name for himself.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yea thats where its tricky... On one hand, he earned it, but on the other he doesnt need it..... Its like Warren Buffett collecting his $1200 Social Security check each month...

To me it's simple, I've been very poor and now I'm pretty comfortable... money gives you options. This kid already has all of the options in the world. I won't tell someone else what to do with their money but If that was my kid, I'd let him make the decision. I'd also offer to "loan" him the money @ 0% interest , just to see what he would do. If he took the scholarship, I'd make an annonymous charitable donation to the school for the amount of the scholarship.
edit on 1-6-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by jam321

Who cares if Daddy is rich. At some point the kid has to make a name for himself.

Sadly, thats not how # works anymore. Because of his dad, this guy will be given a shot even if he's mediocre at the cost of someone elses dreams

link   
He earned it, he should take the money,then donate it back to the school and match it with an equal amount of his own money, which he and his family have more than enough of.

Problem solved

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

To me it's simple, I've been very poor and now I'm pretty comfortable... money gives you options. This kid already has all of the options in the world. I won't tell someone else what to do with their money but If that was my kid, I'd let him make the decision. I'd also offer to "loan" him the money @ 0% intrest , just to see what he would do. If he took the scholarship, I'd make an annonymous charitable donation to the school for the amount of the scholarship.

hah that is very noble of you sir

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed

Originally posted by jam321

Sadly, thats not how # works anymore. Because of his dad, this guy will be given a shot even if he's mediocre at the cost of someone elses dreams

Exactly... Someone will need to take over his fathers empire, who better than his own son.... The kid has a future already mapped out for him, either the NFL or working for P Diddy's record label, either way, he will NEVER worry about putting food on the table for his kids or paying that monthly rent/mortgage...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker

He earned it, he should take the money,then donate it back to the school and match it with an equal amount of his own money, which he and his family have more than enough of.

Problem solved

That would be quite the P.R. move... I would love to see it happen...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Wow kind of an interesting issue.

If these scholarships are available to anyone who can earn them, it would not make any difference whether or not your father is rich or not.

On the other hand, if these scholarships are limited and you have the ability to go to this school without it I would find it very noble to pass it on to someone who has earned it but was not privileged to be born into wealth.

Its up to this kid either way.

If he does maybe his dad will help some under privileged youths go to school, I'm not sure how big into charity he is though.

Education should just be free (just my opinion)
edit on 1-6-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Sure he can afford to walk on. But UCLA decided to award one of their athletic scholarships to Diddy's kid. They offered the scholarship to the best qualified athlete to fit the team's needs.

Notre Dame did the same thing with retired NBA player David Robinson's son. It's up to the school on how they want to use their allocation of athletic scholarships to best benefit the team.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It's an athletic scholarship and not based upon financial need.

For those saying Diddy's kid should give it up for "someone less fortunate", the scholarship isn't necessarily going to a "poor kid".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join