It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vital Directions - Segment #4 - Map storage at home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The biggest danger to maps is mold, this occurs when a map is stored in high moisture conditions or stored after is has gotten damp while being used without being dried before storage.

Storing maps is not a tricky business, but there are some things that should be done to prolong the life of your maps. Safely storing your maps is actually very simple.

Store maps in a similar way you would store wine, in cool low moisture conditions. With a map though, you do not want to store it in too low a moisture situation, it will damage the paper.

Household air conditioning systems keep moisture at roughly %70, which while not being optimum, is acceptable. You do not want to store maps below %40-%50 relative humidity, the paper needs a bit off moisture to prevent becoming brittle.

You can store maps that come folded in Ziploc bags wit a little white rice to regulate the moisture. I personally have found that Ziploc brand bags the best, as they tend to be made of a heavier material, and have a more positive seal or zipper.

If your maps come rolled up, and you want to store it rolled up, you can use drain pipe like ABS pipe in larger diameters with the end caps glued on. It is an idea though to let the pipe fittings and glue to dry and cure completely before using the tube to store your maps as the fumes from some glues can damage both the paper and inks used in maps.

Again, if you are storing maps in a tube, you can add white rice or desiccant packs to the tube to regulate moisture.

For folded maps, you can store maps in a bi-fold file folder case, or in boxes about the same size as the maps, one thing you do not use, is rubber bands. They damage the maps. Which ever way you store them, you store those file folders or boxes in air tight totes.

You can use a standard Rubbermaid type container that is not air tight, by adding the foam rubber door weather stripping you can buy in hardware stores around the top rim, this works really well if you buy totes that have latching tops.

Another major concern with storing maps is storing them out of UV light, however you store your maps, make sure they are stored away from sunlight or UV, as it both degrades the inks and paper, making the paper brittle, and bleaching the inks used to print the maps, rendering them useless.

As far as temperature, the optimum temperatures to store maps is below roughly 70DegF, which is roughly the average temperature of your home.

I will be adding more from previous segments soon everyone,sorry for the delay.

Ryan.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wow,tricky business this map storin' eh?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I keep my BOB one folded up in a Ziploc bag. Due to the construction around here of roads, and closings of businesses, etc., I will be updating it annually anyhow (so replacing it).

On my map, I especially mark the following, along my BOB routes (routes home)..

Gas Stations = Orange
Drug Stores & Dr. Offices = Blue
Food Stores = Green
Guns/Ammo Stores = Red
Hardware Stores = Brown

Never know when you'll have to loot/salvage...

join