It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans' heads are getting bigger

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
C-sections. My son has a big head-can't find hats to fit. He was a pop up baby-he never even dropped to birth canal. We would have died without c-section.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

haha, No thank you

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
reply to post by SpearMint

I can tell you didn't read the link.
Gave you a star anyway

I read all of it. It was a rhetorical question, the answer is no.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Not sure if these are all American. Does remind me of Congress a bit

The 10 Most Freakishly Large Heads In The Super-Hero World ...
nerdbastards.com/2012/02/23/the-10-most-freakishly-large-heads-in-the-super-hero-world

Feb 23, 2012 ... People seem to have a habit of associating big heads with big ... To their credit, however, comic-books would be much less colorful ... Apparently, all that power went to his head (where it was stored in abundance). ... The son of one of the Hulk's first enemies, the Gargoyle, the Gremlin proves the old adage ...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Could this be due to eating meat?

People in general eat far more meat than we did 150 years ago, and Americans eat more meat than other nations.

Americans eat more meat than any other population in the world; about one-sixth of the total, though we’re less than one-twentieth of the population.

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

Just means you have more air in your head, cut down on the cow people.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
C-sections. My son has a big head-can't find hats to fit. He was a pop up baby-he never even dropped to birth canal. We would have died without c-section.

^^ This ^^

More and more babies who would have otherwise died in childbirth are surviving to adulthood because of the widespread practice of C-section (now some 20% of births in the U.S.). As the procedure became safer and more widespread, the tendency toward larger head circumference began to saturate the gene pool.

Just a guess... IMHO

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Probaly due people get longer, which means also longer & narrower heads.
I do know people in the 1800/1900 where on avarage much smaller, if our heads would be the same with increased body size, it would look wierd if we had the same skull size as back then.
edit on 31-5-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

But why is the body size getting bigger?

More protein?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I think so. More 'healthy' food & better medical care. Perhaps also since most woman like taller men?
Grow hormons in meat perhaps also helps.
Probaly combination of things and perhaps also just a bit of evolution.

Mid 1900 average size in my country (holland) was 164 cm, today 180,8 cm, I'm 1.87. I also got a tall and narrow skull.

Perhaps it's interesting to know if animals on avarage also grow larger. Since we get more co2 in the air, I just wondering if animals/humans, get bigger because of that as well? Just a big guess of course though.

For example:
Lobsters to Be Supersized by Climate Change?
news.nationalgeographic.com...

But from same link
:

The team also found that some species, such as calcifying algae, benefited from increased CO2 up to a point—and then quickly began to die.

&

"It's a scenario where the predator is getting stronger and the prey is getting weaker. The [clams] may not be able to sustain their populations and ultimately the predators will also be adversely impacted when the prey populations crash."

You could argue that we are like the predator but as we get stronger and the ''rest'' get weaker basicly, we could just be preparing for our own downfall in the end. Since nature is suffering and you see now a mass die off of species.
Our own succes could of course be our downfall.

Ocean life threatened by mass extinction as acidification rate nears 300 million year max
www.zmescience.com...
edit on 31-5-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Perhaps we are heading back to the age of the dinosaur lol.
Wanted to say thanks to all for an interesting read.
I was going to make a new thread about this
but since it has to do with heads here it is----

April Britt, Massachusetts Woman, Finds Baby Bird With 2 ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/april-britt-massachusetts-baby-bird_n_155...

18 hours ago ... NORTHAMPTON, Mass. -- A Northampton woman made an unusual discovery in her yard – a deformed baby cardinal with two heads and ...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Those two pictures are not something pleasant to wake up to

Better nutrition makes sense.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Americans have Neuro Degeneration from their DNA being destroyed by Dioxins.

I bet there's a massive number of kids getting gray hairs before they graduate high school as well.

It's a painful life future generations in that country will have. And likely why every single factory was moved to China....destroy their DNA instead. Now China has a Diabetes/Obesity epidemic as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Wow that's very interesting. Scary to. 5 billion big hungry Chinese.
Send more Big Macs asap.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Good point, and that could be also from eating meat.

Dioxins accumulate in the fat of animals...

More than 90% of human exposure is through food, mainly meat and dairy products, fish and shellfish. Many national authorities have programmes in place to monitor the food supply.

Dioxins and their effects on human health

Didn't the Bible say something about the food being poisoned in the end times?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have a huge head. Its pear shaped too. I have like "horns" on the back of them. My kid has the same thing. The doctors told my mom I banged my head on her rib cage when inside her womb. I didn't buy it. When I had my daughter I noticed it too. I thought it wasn't natural. You can't notice it really but you look closely and you will see my huge noggin.

I thought it was just recessive genes my parents activated in me by their unique genetic contributions to me.

When my daughter popped out and had my skull too I was sure that this is not the product of a mothers rib cage.

My wife has a similar skull. Her "bumps" are slightly to the side. My daughters and mine are far back on our skulls (upper rear). My daughters is in-between mine and my wife's. Like not quite in the back and not quite on the sides.

I used to shave my head and people would really notice. My hair hides it well.

I think we are throw backs. I had an unnatural attraction to my wife. She is hot but it was more than that. Not love at first sight but instinct. We joke about it sometimes. It was like our biological consciousness kicked in and we sought each other out.

My daughter will probably marry another big skull. LOL.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Any accounts of abductions? Sure would like to see a photo.
I have an experience of long ago where my new girlfriend's brother came downstairs for dinner. I was totally freaked out.
I mean his head was HUGE and his hair looked mangie. He had long fingers with long nails. I wonder what I ate for dinner that evening. Yikes.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"The heads of Americans are changing - and rapidly - skulls are getting bigger and faces are getting longer and narrower."

nerdapproved.com...

the shift is near???

O_O

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Maybe you're misinterpreting the meaning of the increase in head size.

I mean if the intellect of a creature grew exponentially with the size of its head, a hippo should be a genius compared to a crow, but it's the other way round.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Maybe you're misinterpreting the meaning of the increase in head size.

I mean if the intellect of a creature grew exponentially with the size of its head, a hippo should be a genius compared to a crow, but it's the other way round.

Well errr yeah but a hippo's head is eighty percent mouth and I bet you never tried to milk one even a male hippo

Crap I thought I read Cow not crow.
Err I got nothing
edit on 6/1/2012 by longjohnbritches because: 0 goose egg nada

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

8 hours ago ... Americans' heads are getting bigger - in just 150 years, the volume of the average skull has grown by the size of a tennis ball. Survey of 1500 ...

This is great news
Our heads have doubled in size in 150 yrs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join