I hate to burst the bubble, but I would definitely find out in what conditions/persons high levels of vitamin C are contraindicated - it is very good
at cleansing the blood, and therefore, will render some medications ineffective, which could do harm to people whose conditions require these
medications to survive. I have to think this way, as I take some toxic, yet much needed meds for my kidney transplant that I waited 8 years to get on
dialysis and almost wasn't making it there at the end of my wait for my organ.
I am sure there are many versions/opinions on proper dosing, but here is a bit on who should not have a lot of C:
Vitamin C is one of the water-soluble vitamins, meaning it dissolves in water. It is difficult to overdose on water-soluble vitamins since the body
tends to flush them away easily.
...it is possible to overdose on vitamin C. The chronic toxic dose (meaning how much you have to take over a period of time to see negative effects)
is more than 2 grams a day. The acute toxic dose is not known. Deaths from vitamin C overdose are very rare, and there may be none recorded.
The possible negative effects of taking too much vitamin C are:
- possible dental decalcification (i.e., softening of the teeth),
- increased estrogen levels,
- renal colic (i.e., kidney stones)
- in infants born to women taking high doses, rebound scurvy (where the child was exposed to too much vitamin C from the mother before birth, and so
is does not have enough vitamin C after being born.)
Further, vitamin C can interfere with some drug treatments, like cancer treatment.
It is also hard to tell if some of those side effects are when considering "vitamin C" to mean Ascorbic Acid type supplementation - but I do not think
all of them are related only to that form.
edit on 29-10-2012 by saintinwaiting because: left something out