It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will the world look like in 2052?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

What will the world look like in 2052

www.newscientist.c om

Forty years ago this spring, three idealistic young computer modellers wrote The Limits to Growth, a book that detailed the first effort to use computers to project possible global futures. And what a projection. Dennis and Dana Meadows and Jörgen Randers created mathematical models of how global population, food, health, industry and resources affected each other, and then extrapolated to see what would happen if booming economic and population growth continued.

The result shocked them: the simulated society collapsed. No technological fix short of abandoning material growth could save repeated simulations from overshooting resource limits and plunging into megadeath and poverty
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31/5/12 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 5/31/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
My last thread was a feel good thread so in the interest of fairness and equality i thought i would post a doom one,

However this scenario (imho) is much much more likely.

In this follow-up book, 2052: A global forecast for the next 40 years Randers makes predictions based on current data, simpler calculations and a lifetime’s experience analysing global systems.

Interestingly - and plausibly - he doesn’t anticipate global apocalypse, but instead a slow, sad decline, in which pockets of collapse and misery develop while business largely as usual carries on around them. Overall he sees a poorer, less democratic world as resources run out and more must be spent simply to keep overstretched systems running

This situation is the one we should be thinking about , not asteroid impacts or solar flares that annihilate the Earth.

No aliens are coming to save us , no higher power will swoop in and rescue us, we need to wake up and deal with the situation.

The first signs have been happening all around us and have been for much time...

its probably already too late, the great civilization always fall when demand outstrips supply...

Sleep well

QS

www.newscientist.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When I read the title to this thread I
immediately thought "Solyent Green".
Where we have exausted our resources
and our environment becomes so very polluted.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

My personal belief is that as resources become more scarce, countries will become more warlike in order to secure these resources and secure their future, even if for only a time.

I think we are seeing this from the USA, and more and more from China. Im sure many think tanks have thought of these scenerios and are planning well ahead for them. As we all know oil, energy and, more and more, rare earths are driving countries agendas. When your people are suffering because of lack of needed resources, even relatively benign leaders can be pressured into taking extreme actions.
edit on 31-5-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
And yet, we all decry an "NWO" (myself included), but such an entity is probably the only way to manage said crisis. Our individual ideologies, religions, nationalism, etc; pushes us to be against such an order, but likely it is the only alternative to global war, famine, economic collapse, Certainly countries like the USA, China, Russia, Western Europe, etc, will go to war over resources. How precious water might become? (The pentagon has actually looked at several scenario's around water resources alone).
edit on 31-5-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

This music video perfectly explains it

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Honestly, I doubt that computer model had one thing, recycling.

Yes we will use up all our resources, but thing is, they are still there, as whatever we made from them, just break em down, and collect and merge the pieces.

I believe within 10 years, we will have a machine in every home or corner that looks like a dumpster, but instead takes your trash, separates it, and makes something you need in return.

Maybe pay for a paint job or something, or a trendy decal.

Oh yes, the future will be marketable.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
And yet, we all decry an "NWO" (myself included), but such an entity is probably the only way to manage said crisis. Our individual ideologies, religions, nationalism, etc; pushes us to be against such an order, but likely it is the only alternative to global war, famine, economic collapse, Certainly countries like the USA, China, Russia, Western Europe, etc, will go to war over resources. How precious water might become? (The pentagon has actually looked at several scenario's around water resources alone).
edit on 31-5-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

I myself see the need for a one world government, but it has to be ran by the right people.. if such people exist.

however , no matter what they did in the scenario to stop it , eventually we will hit this wall, unless we cap the population and attempt to meet our energy needs or redress our energy consumption..

Alas i still think its inevitable with the current state of the world and its rich leaders.. the pyramid scheme is coming down boys and we as the little people at the bottom are going to get showered with rubble first...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

What will the world look like in 2052

Need I say more?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

I believe within 10 years, we will have a machine in every home or corner that looks like a dumpster, but instead takes your trash, separates it, and makes something you need in return.

There are just so many things wrong with that picture. Do you have any idea the amount of resources necessary to take a piece of trash and 'recycle' it into something new?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
Honestly, I doubt that computer model had one thing, recycling.

Pretty sure it would.

Usually when you make these models, you make everything as a "best case" scenerio. Recycling seems a pretty obvious thing to include.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Im so sorry....

someone was going to do it so might as well get it out of the way....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 31-5-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
probably the same as it's always looked

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Would be interested to know if they account for the likelihood that there will be some massive human die offs by then.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

nanu nanu

by then the planet earth will be gone and a new one created with a new sun somewhere else and the whole movement would start over again.

old family's (not human race) have done this many times before and will do this until the universe has imploded.

this planet is trying to change, evolve call it level up but the "family's" can't let that happen with humans still walking the planet.

humans are not meant to wake up with the planet, things are moving fast know..

so humans, year 2052 will not be on this planet.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wrong. A study was done 30/20 years ago (~80's & then again in the 90's) that put 2025-2030 as an ABSOLUTE maximum for 95% population decimation. This was conducted by mathematicians, and international / government consortium. We have an ABSOLUTE maximum of 18 years left - MAXIMUM. More than likely it will be before that time frame. As for the people saying we wil explore other planets, yea, keep dreaming. Even at current population rates we would have to launch millions of people EVERYDAY just to stay on par with current population growth. Simulations have been conducted vis a vis (animal/human), with nothing else factoring in except resources. Conditions that led to population explosions in animals due to favorable conditions, ended with almost total population collapse when the infrastructure/resources were decimated or experienced YoY growth, etc. The human factor is no different, if not more explosive from the position that humans control ALL aspects of the environment, not only local, but global. Whereas, in the studies animals found other sites outside of normal territory to grow, initial decimation from disease, etc, and started up again... studies and simulations for HUMANS, shows a finite condition wherein they simply cannot pick up and move somewhere else, because all conditions have been affected. All in all, expect massive war, and disease to do the most damage as the human population vs resources apexes... which it already has...
edit on 31-5-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The film Idiocracy will be found to be VERY close to reality.....

edit on 31-5-2012 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2012 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

nanu nanu

there are 7 billion humans and there is more space left for many more years, the human race will never go far as filling up the planet with this corrupted system they are living in. no math no years of education

the agenda is to obscure,

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorkandMindy
reply to post by pityocamptes

nanu nanu

there are 7 billion humans and there is more space left for many more years, the human race will never go far as filling up the planet with this corrupted system they are living in. no math no years of education

the agenda is to obscure,

I hate to say this but you have no clue what you are talking about. We have already exceeded carry capacity based on RESOURCES. Unless of course you desire to live in a mud hut. Oh, and lets not forget OIL and fuel which has artificially created MORE food than nature can provide...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join