It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartphones and Tablets, using your fingerprints to monitor activity and for advertising.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ok, this is freaky. I was on my iPod touch browsing and they have a function where it looks like a page turning and when you drag it open an ad appears. So today, I noticed a little picture of a fingerprint on the edge of the page, at first I thought nothing of it. But then I took a closer look and it looks awfully much like my finger print. So I did a little google search and this turned up from last year.

www.clickz.com...

Replacing the Cookie
The technology applies not only to mobile devices, however, but also to desktop computers, tablet devices, and potentially any device with a data connection.
"Our ultimate goal is to replace the cookie," David Norris, BlueCava's chairman and CEO, told ClickZ. "Cookies are temporary tattoos that fade away, but [fingerprints] don't fade away. Cookies had their point in time, but we've moved far enough along for a more sophisticated system now."
Because cookies reside on users' machines they are subject to deletion and expiration, and are rendered useless if a user decides to switch to a new browser, for example.
Fingerprints, however, track devices themselves, rather than the cookies placed on them. Even if the characteristics of a device change, its fingerprint is simply updated to reflect those changes. If, for example, a user upgrades his browser, the device can still be uniquely identified using other characteristics, and its fingerprint is simply altered to reflect the changes.
To illustrate the process Norris used an analogy of a person walking into a small grocery store two days in a row. The second time the person visits the store he might have changed his shirt, but the storeowner will still recognize him based on other characteristics such as height, hair color, and numerous other variables. In theory, just as no two shoppers are the same, neither are two devices.
Based on this principle, Norris said BlueCava's technology can uniquely identify a device 99.9 percent of the time using around 50 pieces of data broadcast from a desktop browser.
Mobile Devices, Tracking and Targeting
Besides desktop computers, fingerprinting technology has arguably more potential for mobile and tablet devices, which typically can't be tracked easily using cookies.
In light of that opportunity, Ringleader Digital has developed a similar technology to BlueCava, but is focusing its efforts squarely on the mobile ad market. Dubbing its Media Stamp product "the mobile equivalent of the desktop cookie," it can be used for similar purposes such as frequency capping, conversion tracking, and potentially behavioral and data-driven media buying opportunities also.
"We can uniquely and persistently identify the top 100 U.S. devices 100 percent of the time," Bob Walczak, CEO of Ringleader Digital, told ClickZ. "The issue in mobile has been that third party cookies work on less than 60 percent of devices, based on our testing. This is because the carriers strip them off at the gateway, the devices can't accept them, or they are shipped with third-party cookies turned off. There are so many different, fragmented market standards, so our aim was to create a single, simple solution," he said.
Ringleader has positioned itself as a technology provider, licensing its wares to publishers, ad networks, ad servers, and essentially any party with a use for them. Meanwhile stealth startup TapAd is in the process of developing a similar solution, but plans to focus more heavily on the direct provision of real-time bidded, data-driven opportunities for advertisers.

I guess the project is now underway and now they have stolen my fingerprint. This is insane. I wonder what kind of database are they gonna put it in? And as for opting out, really? It seems they already got what they want.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Is it not illegal to keep a person fingerprint on file if you have not commited a crime, I recall that if you are finger printed and aquitted of said crime that record had to be destroyed. I may be wrong don't know the law to well, but that is what I have heard, gonna google search as soon as done writing.

This just seems like an invasion of rights, and who knows whos going to have access to the data, scary if you ask me....

SaneThinking

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

Yeah, but this is not like getting arrested and giving up your fingerprint to the police.
This is advertisers and third parties, stealing your fingerprint and keeping on file without your permission.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I haven't noticed this on my devices.

Were you using an app or surfing on safari app when this happened?
The google app contains a lot of sharing features, I don't use it, I search google through safari instead.

Just curious ...Does your itouch have iCloud enabled (updated software) ? I noticed iCloud has some privacy issues you have to be mindful of.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
worst case
the smart phone gets your prints
the interweb defines/profiles you
facebook identifies you
SMH

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
They are not talking about your fingerprint like on your hands.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 31-5-2012 by jrkelly77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

thanks for the clarification

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
They are not talking about your fingerprint like on your hands.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 31-5-2012 by jrkelly77 because: (no reason given)

Then what are they talking about? you mean like your profile fingerprint?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EndWise

Yes they way i understand it is that all these companys would keep a file on you that would have your like and dislikes in it........its very invasive privacy wise.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Yes, I have latest update and iCloud but its currently turned off and I was browsing with safari.

For the record I do not use my iPod to log into any accounts, the only one I use is Facebook. But I rarely post anything. I don't purchase anything on it either. Sometimes though, I mistakingly click on ads.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

The picture that showed up in the corner was a picture of an index finger, that was very close in resemblance to my index finger.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Just as a point of interest, Biometric fingerprint recognition is impossible on todays (as yet anyway) mainstream devices.

They are capacitive touch screens and simply respond to the change of capacitance by distorting the electro-static field.

A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[12][13] As the human body is also an electrical conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the screen's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location is then sent to the controller for processing. Unlike a resistive touchscreen, one cannot use a capacitive touchscreen through most types of electrically insulating material, such as gloves; one requires a special capacitive stylus, or a special-application glove with an embroidered patch of conductive thread passing through it and contacting the user's fingertip. This disadvantage especially affects usability in consumer electronics, such as touch tablet PCs and capacitive smartphones in cold weather.

Link for Above

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Ok humor me for a minute. I don't know if thats true or not. But isn't there an app, that won't let you unlock the iPhone without a fingerprint scan? Again, I have not used the app, so I can not verify that, but if true that blows your theory out.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I can tell you for certain it is true.

Read the Wiki page I linked. Plus read your owners manual, they are capacitive touch screens.

With respect to the App, if you read, on many forums (and even from the developer) they tell you its not REALLY performing a biometric scan, but is based upon timing.... the developer uses precise timing of a thumb "hold down" to determine whether or not to unlock the screen, and in fact, the screen is never truly locked as you can perform other tasks or get to the home screen while the App is in a wait state.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'll wear band aids on my fingers...and start a company that manufactures protective coverings for said fingers.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Ok I looked at some of those apps and read some reviews, it appears that they don't seem to work. Anyways I still find that fingerprint thing in the corner a bit strange. Im gonna see if I can find anything online to help explain.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

That's a good idea

Although, if I were a betting man, I would bet that the fingerprint at the corner of the page is nothing more than the developer of the app being creative to give the illusion of a REAL finger turning the page..... simply aesthetics.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Maybe, but I can't seem to find anything yet. There was an Apple ad about them now being smudge proof. Maybe that has something to do with it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
there is a laptop that has a built in finger print scanner to unlock it my mom has one and it dont work for # lol. She gave up using it since it took about 20 swipes before it would unlock and was easier just to type in her password.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
there is a laptop that has a built in finger print scanner to unlock it my mom has one and it dont work for # lol. She gave up using it since it took about 20 swipes before it would unlock and was easier just to type in her password.

That's great news.

I'm not certain how its applicable to this particular topic, but it's great none the less.

I too have a biometrically secured laptop. It works first swipe every time. And I've had it for 5 years.

new topics

top topics

join