It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman who lied about rape asks for 'bygones to be bygones'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I think there are many people in the world who would laugh at a man accusing a woman for rape.
Equality goes to dustbins when the victim is male.
All women get is a sexy smile from the judges.lol......

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
And then people wonder why I just can't take women seriously when they complain about discrimination...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
What would be fair here? One word I haven't seen mentioned yet, compensation. 1.5 million will not cover this guys wrongly induced incarceration. So I would say a figure of at least 1.5m for every year he wrongly served. I'll leave it to the lawyers to work out where it comes from but I think the state should pay the bill and then worry about where they will get it from. It was the state that prosecuted him after all. And if I got a few details wrong because I am not up to scratch on how it all works over there. In any case, large piles of crisp 10,000 dollar bills.

Then he needs a complete and total expunging of his record to a pristine state and removal of any sex offender registrations.

Then, a high official, someone like the Mayor, should come around with a whole media circus, a huge bunch of flower and say Goddamn Sorry!

Then they need to look at how they process and handle rape allegations cos some major # is wrong here.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

one question :

why did mr banks file a ` no contest plea ` - he knew he was innocent - so ????????

smething does not smell right

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Violater1

one question :

why did mr banks file a ` no contest plea ` - he knew he was innocent - so ????????

smething does not smell right

This happens everyday in American court rooms.

Innocence doesnt mean anything when your defense lawyer and the state prosecutor are coming at you with plea bargains.

Just take the plea and you'll do 5-10 max. Or risk fighting it in court and get 20-30.

Every single day in America innocent people are hit with that choice. And every single day some of them, if not most of them, choose the plea because they believe rightfully or wrongfully that they are going to get screwed by the system despite their innocence.

Why innocent people confess

The Innocence Effect of Plea Bargaining - especially disturbing since the paper sees innocent people doing less time by accepting pleas as a benefit to a system of plea bargaining.

An angry rebuttal from an attorney to the above paper

nnocent defendants, however, are all full of fight at the outset, but fade quickly. They get tired of having the threat of gargantuan sentences hanging over their head, the pressure of thinking, every night, all night long, about what they did to God that he would punish them this way. They think of their children without a parent for decades. They think of all the people who tell them that no one ever wins. No one.

These are the innocents who don't catch the break of making it onto the radar of law professors conducting an empirical study, because they look just like the guilty. These are the anti-innocents, because they've pleaded guilty in the hope that they won't die in prison. And you will never know who they are, and you will manufacture empirical studies that will ignore them because their conviction is so mundane that it defies your simplistic expectation that evidence proves anything.

This isn't to say that plea bargaining is a bad thing because it puts innocent defendants in prison in order to avoid the risk of trial. It's to say that theoreticians, scholars, can't tell an innocent person from a guilty person any more than a cop, judge or jury.

There's no magic to this system. It treats everybody like dirt. Got an "effect" for that?
link
edit on 1-6-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is just a tip of the iceberg, and a symptom of bigger problems permeating the justice system. "Beyond reasonable doubt" is there for a reason, and I think courts are often biased towards convicting someone instead of finding the truth based on evidence. Some things that should change to prevent this:

1. abolish the existence of plea bargains, it is a form of coercion
2. the decision of both jury and judge as a legal professional should be required for conviction
3. testimonies should be considered a very weak evidence

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
1.5million for been raped..

somebody come rape me

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo... and I think courts are often biased towards convicting someone instead of finding the truth based on evidence.

Not some. All.

They see convictions as their job.

The job of the cops is to catch you regardless of truth. He either doesnt care or just figures the glorious system will do its job on you later.

The job of the prosecutor is to prosecute you regardless of truth. They are notorious for hiding evidence and even if acquitted they'll continue to proclaim your guilt.

The defense just wants money. If you're rich they might do a good job. If you're not then the game becomes one of volume and they just want to move on to work as many cases as they can.

In the end all any of them really want is the case closed so they can move on. The truth isnt even an afterthought for any of them.

That's what passes for justice in America. I sincerely hope none of us ever see the defendants chair for any reason. I wont even contest traffic tickets where I know with absolute certainty I was not at fault. I wont talk to cops to even say "good morning." One funny look. One bad day. One horrible stroke of luck. And your life is over.
edit on 1-6-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
This is just a tip of the iceberg, and a symptom of bigger problems permeating the justice system. "Beyond reasonable doubt" is there for a reason, and I think courts are often biased towards convicting someone instead of finding the truth based on evidence. Some things that should change to prevent this:

1. abolish the existence of plea bargains, it is a form of coercion
2. the decision of both jury and judge as a legal professional should be required for conviction
3. testimonies should be considered a very weak evidence

4. EQUALITY

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
in order for this all to be right...she needs to be strapped to the chair and raped by this guy, under the supervision of the judge that sentenced him to prison. He got jail time, she got money...all that is missing is the actual rape.

She probably spent the money and the taxpayers will now foot the bill. This is a disgusting story and should be a wake up call to all men

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I am sooooo ANGRY at this!

This girl/woman is despicable! From the video and then saying afterwards that she only agreed to the interview because she was offered money if she did, just proves that she will lie for money and just adds weight to the lad's case against her.

This lad has now got to live life with his name on a sex offenders list that should never have happened. He also should have been able to make a statement that although he was innocent he was almost forced into pleading guilty for a lighter sentence due to jury prejudice.

This is awful but sadly not the first or last false rape conviction case. This girl who destroyed a life and profited handsomely should not only have to pay back the money, but also should go to jail for defamation of character, wasting police and court time and fraud.

It is girls like her that make genuine rape victims have to be interrogated like they were the villain in order to prove they were really raped. Then they have to face a trial where they are made to re-live the whole thing under the microscope with the rapists lawyer trying to rip their reputation to shreds. It is no wonder so many real rape victims don't even report it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. Quite pissed off now.

And then whining about wanting to keep the money. She should be jailed, but she won't because she was a minor at the time.

Move along people nothing to see here

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
My heart goes out to this guy, I hope he gets as much of his life back as possible. It breaks my heart to think of what he could have been if not for this random girl in his life.

I am so scared at the prospect of my 18 year old son having to function in the society we have now. I really am.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's a shame when this sort of thing happens to innocent poeple. In all likeliness, he was targeted in prison as well. His life would have been a nightmare. Now that he's released, I wonder what he'll do... I think I'd give it some time to get my life together, then lay out a plan to annonymously ruin her life. It seems people like that get away with it all too often. Karma will be a B*#tch for her in the long run.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Did you read the rest of the post you took that quote from, or did you just fancy bashing a scentence full of words at random? I believe I clarified my position on this matter adequately in the quoted post. One SHOULD string rapists up by the nutsack, but in order to allow that to happen, the so called justice system needs to be refined somewhat, as I made clear. Its basic reading comprehension, not an english literature degree for christs sake!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
bygones to be bygones??? HELL NO!!! SHE needs to serve double the prison time that he had to serve. Every last penny she has to her name needs to go to him. SHE needs to be punished.
Go ahead and sentence her to life in prison, put it on every media site possible, run her name into the ground, use her as the poster child for putting an end to things like this.
That woman doesn't deserve to be treated with any dignity, any respect and should be made absolutely miserable for the rest of her days on this earth!!

edit on 1-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by Violater1

Rape is perhaps one of the most despicable crimes against humanity that another human, can assault against another human.

You mean, Men on women rape?

There is no such thing as womens committing crime. There is no women pedophiles, there is no women serial killers or rapist.

edit on 5/31/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

do u just say or type things knowing there not true, or are u just that ignorant?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Two things make me sick about this story:

1. That this innocent boy had his teenhood stolen from him and was falsely imprisoned. He will NEVER get those years back! He will carry this with him his entire life!!
and
2. That this comes back on the women who truly are victims of rape. They have gone through hell and back..imagine a woman that makes them all look suspicious and foolish after all they have had to fight through.

This foul creature needs to be brought to justice! She spits in the face of real rape victims AND she has stolen someone's youth and freedom for FIVE YEARS! AWFUL!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join