It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA intercepting 1.7 billion American electronic communications daily

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
thehackernews.com...

Since 9/11, the Agency has been able to "spy" on electronic communications without the need for court-approved warrants. The group has a large complex in Utah that cost $2 billion and holds the data. In 2006 the New York Times revealed that the Bush administration was eavesdropping on the electronic communications of Americans without the warrants required by law.
The American Civil Liberties Union has created an infographic for mass distribution that shows some scary figures related to the U.S. National Security Agency.

Four years ago Congress authorized the electronic surveillance of suspected terrorists and foreign agents located outside the United States, with provisions that supporters said would adequately protect the privacy of Americans.

This explains how they are able to do it:

I guess I wasn't fully aware of the magnitude of messages that are intercepted on a daily basis! Its insane!
You can't tell me as an american that you don;t feel violated! Imagine the money thats involved here and let alone the privacy issues.
Unbelievable...

Thoughts?!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Good post, Nspekta....how could this number of electronic communications possibly screened for threats to national security, even by picking up on trigger words or phrases ? All seems a bit neurotic to me.

I think any terrorist or person of bad intent towards the people of the U.S.A would be aware of this monitoring, and avoid electronic communications..?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The NSA actually has a large number of decent, truly patriotic people that are not interested in spying on American citizens. There is a robust auditing system in place for many of the systems and programs. I'm not saying that everything that happens there is "Candyland" and such, but way too many people have watched "Enemy of the State" and think the government is out to get them.

That may be the case, but in my experiences with NSA, they were hardworking individuals doing their jobs the best they could while trying to maintain the integrity of privacy afforded to American citizens.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Also take note that the flyer you posted was created by the ACLU, who has an agenda all their own. Like the NSA, the ACLU is a double-edged sword, but wrapped in far less mystery.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This type of thing had no choice but to snowball beyond control.

In it's infancy it began with key words or phrases.

We all use these key words everyday with absolutely no terror context.

So when all of these "hits" start piling up nobody is there to sift through and see what's important. They just see all these "hits" and crap their pants. OMG, they're all terrorists!!! We need more money and power!!!!

So they get it. Because again nobody is going to go through and see what is important and what is not. Just throw money at it and make it bigger.

Typical bureaucratic reaction. It's what government does best.

With that new money and new power they collect even more "hits." Now the damn sky is falling and the paranoia is reaching unprecedented levels.

With all the money and all the intercepted communications and all the massive data center combing through everything one thing remains constant......nobody is going through this stuff to see whats important and what's not. Automated queries and reports can only go so far. Without context it's useless.

As nightmarishly Orwellian as this all seems just remember that a good 80% of it is all useless servers humming along accomplishing nothing whatsoever.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just send texts to locations where you hid the bodies. Then, bury some plastic army men there. Make them think you're crazy. Also, send plenty of other nonsensical things.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I started a similar thread a while back questioning whether they were behind the governements plans to collect all our data in the UK

The NSA have a base in the UK, it was only illegal to spy on US citizens but now they dont care
Have a read, a nice map of the Menwith Hill outpost in Yorkshire, England plus some details of the NSA data centre.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you are American, please get them back under control, they have gone rogue due to paranoia it seems, everyone is Will Smith now, we are all enemy of the state.
edit on 31-5-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join