It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US rejects proposal to put Internet under UN control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

US rejects proposal to put Internet under UN control

phys.org

US officials, lawmakers and technology leaders offered a resounding "no" Thursday to proposals to bring the Internet under United Nations' control and said they would lead efforts to stop the move.

At a congressional hearing, the comments were united in opposition to place the Internet under the jurisdiction of the International Telecommunications Union, a UN agency which governs telecom systems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.N. group seeks control of Internet
The U.N. Threat to Internet Freedom

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So yet another step toward the end of Internet as we know it? I guess that the answer is "No"!

....Again:

Back in 2003, it was already proposed by the governments spearheaded by China, Brazil, India, Russia and Saudi Arabia that tried at the time to place the Internet under the control of the United Nations or its member governments, a move that the United States and other developed countries were determined to resist. ..

They failed almost ten years ago, by the voice of the former chief of the U.S. delegation, Ambassador David A. Gross."We will continue to fight hard to ensure that Internet governance remains a balanced enterprise among all stakeholders and continues to be private-sector-led,"

Not sure if the same can be said today??

phys.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-5-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well it's a good thing it was rejected. China and Russia do not instill confidence in keeping the Internet neutral and safe. Unfortunately the legal actions of the United States have also shown that the Internet is still in jeopardy of losing it's neutrality (by seizing 'suspect' domains from Icann). Personally I'd love to see it put beyond the reach of any government, a true peer-to-peer system such as the one proposed by Pirate Bay or Wikileaks.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

They can have my internet why they can pry the mousefrom my cold dead hands!

What I don't get is the lack of outrage over a foreign entity dictating/over ruling American law.

Whazup widat?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As Alex Jones says...

They push for the most extreme bills that wont pass, so then they only go partial and get what they wanted anyway. It's like low-ballin' bills.

"Okay, we will NOT let UN control Americans Internet...That's crazy. So in turn, the US Gov't will take responsibility instead.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
As Alex Jones says...

They push for the most extreme bills that wont pass, so then they only go partial and get what they wanted anyway. It's like low-ballin' bills.

"Okay, we will NOT let UN control Americans Internet...That's crazy. So in turn, the US Gov't will take responsibility instead.

That's about it in a nutshell...If not international government regulation of the net, then National Government regulation of the net. At least we all had a few years to experience what will be considered the "heyday" of the unregulated interwebs. Surely, alternative private "pirate" networks have a bright future ahead indeed....

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Of course the US doesnt want the UN to control global internet! The US wants the US to control global internet

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If knowledge is power, then the Internet is the ultimate weapon in the world today.

The day that one government/organization controls the Internet is the day that our freedom will truly begin do die.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
If knowledge is power, then the Internet is the ultimate weapon in the world today.

The day that one government/organization controls the Internet is the day that our freedom will truly begin do die.

Ahh yes, but "information" and "knowledge" are ultimate weapons being used by both sides, if you will. What if the net is flooded with so much misleading information, and false knowledge, that the few nuggets of truth are exceedingly difficult to unearth? Consider ATS for instance. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to separate the chaff from the truth. Perhaps what you understood to be true knowledge was just a nugget of fool's-gold in a thread started by an NSA government goon. Freedom died a long time ago.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I seriously wish the UN would stop trying this. I don't know how many times they need to try, and be told no, before they will stop.

The UN should not even frigging exist in the first place, let alone keep trying to put its' slimy Illuminati paws all over the Internet.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
first

Congress: we need to censor the internet to protect copyrighted material
Indeed!

then,

United Nations: we want to regulate the internet
Congress: No! protect freedom of speech!

what's wrong with this picture?

top topics

join