It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prometheus trailer... Remind you of Ancient Aliens?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Before I knew what it was I was thinking of ancient aliens when watching the prometheus trailer.... Describing our ancient ancestors all claiming gods coming from the sky... Exactly what ancient aliens tries to teach..

Is it a coincidence that the Ancient Alien tv series is a Prometheus Production?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Huh, I never thought of that. It is kinda cool though; one of those weird coincidences.
Star Gate did the ancient aliens thing before the show though. Still Prometheus looks really good, I for one, can not wait to see it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Scott's story concept was partially inspired by the work of Chariots of the Gods? author Erich von Däniken's writings about the theory of ancient astronauts, suggesting that life on Earth was created by aliens.

it was kinda the plan to make this based on the ancient aliens theory.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

Scott's story concept was partially inspired by the work of Chariots of the Gods? author Erich von Däniken's writings about the theory of ancient astronauts, suggesting that life on Earth was created by aliens.

Prometheus was the Greek Titan credited with helping to create the human race.

He stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humans.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I guess those with Prometheus either REALLY believe in what they are saying about the Ancient Alien Theory or they REALLY like making money hand over fist!!

I personally can't wait to see it. I buy into the whole AA Theory mostly as well. I am curious to see what the first weekend's gross earnings are after it hits theaters what with the Mayan "Dooms Day" hovering in the air and an uptick in curiosity concerning "Aliens".

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Thanks to the movie Prometheus, At the Mountains of Madness will not be made. Guillermo Del Toro said Ridly Scott's movie had similiar shots compared to what Del Toro wanted as well as the twist ending.

It's ironic in that Alien was considered "Lovecraftian" so years later when a serious big budget Lovecraft movie was to be made, it gets pre-empted by another "Lovecraftian" movie made by the same man.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
You might find this interesting, dont worry there are no spoilers!

I for one am a big fan of the Alien movies and can not wait for this film its gona be sick!

edit on 31-5-2012 by RandalFlagg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Here is Prometheus in a bit of a different slant.

this craft resembles certain images from the solar threads here on ATS here
edit on 31-5-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I actually got a bit mad when I saw the trailer. It explains that they found the same/similar writings all over the world in different civilizations that couldn't have met each other. It's a star map, left by ancient extra terrestrial beings.

IRL, this theory gets mocked beyond belief by a lot of people, but when it's in a movie by Ridley Scott, then it's suddenly ok!

Gonna watch it tomorrow with a couple of friends, can't wait, looks like a good movie.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
When I first saw the ad it looked like the video game Dead Space.

Which was a good game.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

All this "ancient aliens theory" started with the book "Chariots of the Gods?" published in 1968 by Erich von Däniken.

Erich von Däniken was the pioneer.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Technically speaking one of the first people to talk about the potentiality of Ancient Aliens was Morris K Jessup. Astronomer of 'Philadelphia Experiment' fame. He often wrote about the possible connections between ancient monuments and an ancient advanced civilization. Also Yonah Fortner was another early pioneer of these kinds of theories. Both Jessup and Fortner were writing about these things in the 50's years before Von Daniken. To be fair Von Daniken certainly popularized the theory but I just thought you would like to know in the interest of full disclosure.
edit on 31-5-2012 by countduckula24 because: Too early to spell correctly

edit on 31-5-2012 by countduckula24 because: Still can't spell

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cheerfulnihilist
Thanks to the movie Prometheus, At the Mountains of Madness will not be made. Guillermo Del Toro said Ridly Scott's movie had similiar shots compared to what Del Toro wanted as well as the twist ending.

It's ironic in that Alien was considered "Lovecraftian" so years later when a serious big budget Lovecraft movie was to be made, it gets pre-empted by another "Lovecraftian" movie made by the same man.

Oh man what a shame-I didn't know they were even thinking of making "at the mountains of madness."
I am a big Lovecraft fan,and have often thought "at the mountains of madness" would make a great movie..

Oh well,maybe someone will make a film of it one day in the future.

I am still looking forward to Prometheus though-I read that there is one particular scene in it which gave actress Naomi Rapace nightmares for weeks afterwards!!

Can't wait!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I think this movie is definately hinting at something. One thing I found interesting is that Prometheus is also the name of one of the moons of Saturn, and in the trailer for the film you can also see a ringed planet in the background when the ship 'prometheus' lands. Something that might not be coincidence is the fact that the planet in 'Avatar' is called Pandora, another one of Saturns moons.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The movie is something Scott has been planning for years.. it's a prequel to the Alien films .. it even shows the space jockey alien in the trailer very briefly .. it's meant to show the origin of the aliens as well as the origin of the space jockey.. to try to explain everything.. but he resisted using "Alien" in the title or "Prequel" in marketing.. that got nixed .. which will probably greatly help the movie stand on it's own! the movie has all of the elements of an Alien franchise film.. it has the corporations running the missions, it has the synthetic humans, the space jockey of course.. and from what I've read, the famous Aliens will make an appearance at one point.

To suggest they are basing this movie on the ancient alien theory purposely is like suggesting that 2001: A Space Odyssey did the same thing =) .. Scott is just returning to what made him famous.. and by the way, he's planning a prequel to blade runner as well.. but I think he's actually referring to that one as a prequel in it's marketing.

Director Ridley Scott Revisits Alien Roots

Ridley Scott's latest film, Prometheus, is the director's return to the sci-fi genre after 30 years and his offering has spent much of its pre-release days sitting firmly in the shadows of its iconic predecessor Alien.

Prometheus, which was billed as the prequel to Alien, has been the recipient of much goodwill from fans and critics alike hoping for a ceremonious return to the franchise by Scott. But previews suggest it does not quite live up to the hype.

"Much of Scott's audience is expecting a fully-formed prequel to Alien," The Daily Telegraph writes, "but Prometheus only really lays the groundwork, leaving plenty of dots disconnected."

Not all critics share that view of the film, though. Obsessed With Film says: "Make no mistake, this is a sure-fire, full-tilt prequel to Alien in every imaginable sense, yet also stands on its own two feet as a thrilling sci-fi spectacle that should have series fans discussing it for years to come."

edit on 5/31/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Not only is Scott's idea based on ancient aliens but it's also based loosely on the work of author HP Lovecraft (who himself was likely building on theosophic writings of the past). In Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos of science fiction we learn that Earth was once inhabited by strange otherworldly beings including great behemoth alien-gods. Lovecraft's stories often involve "forbidden" archaeology, the discovery of some lost cyclopean city of massive stone or the like, in which the curiosity and scientific inquiry of the human race leads to horrific and terrifying conclusions about our true place in the cosmic order.

TDuring the theosophic movement of the late 19th and early 20th century there were plenty of so-called chanellers receiving messages from aliens or Atlantis. For instance in the late 1800s a book was written supposedly telepathically communicated by an entity called Phylos the Thibetan it talks about races of ancient advanced people living underground, flying machines, anti-gravity, etc etc.

The idea that Earth might have been visited or colonized or originally populated by aliens or monsters goes back a very long way in folklore and fiction. By the time Von Daniken published his works the idea was already quite old though he certainly popularized it and pushed it more toward the mainstream.

Also, love the name btw, Red Dwarf rules!

edit on 31-5-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Wow really-A prequel to Bladerunner as well??

Awesome,can't wait!!!

Would be great if he included a depiction of Rutger Hauer's speech from the original:

"I have seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..."

Top film!!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by galactictuan

Prometheus was the Greek Titan credited with helping to create the human race.

He stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humans.

Yep...pretty much the closest to an Anunnaki movie we may get...

Prometheus is the Greek name for the Sumerian Enki, aka, Satan. Satan was actually on humanity's side.

I can't wait to see it!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razziazoid
I actually got a bit mad when I saw the trailer. It explains that they found the same/similar writings all over the world in different civilizations that couldn't have met each other. It's a star map, left by ancient extra terrestrial beings.

IRL, this theory gets mocked beyond belief by a lot of people, but when it's in a movie by Ridley Scott, then it's suddenly ok!

Gonna watch it tomorrow with a couple of friends, can't wait, looks like a good movie.

Where are you, as being able to watch the movie tomorrow? I'm in Memphis Tn....I gotta wait til June 8.

I will be there with bells

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra
All this "ancient aliens theory" started with the book "Chariots of the Gods?" published in 1968 by Erich von Däniken.

Erich von Däniken was the pioneer.

No, it started much earlier than that. It was HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness that originated the idea of ancient astronauts, in 1931 (written, published '36). The book Cult of the Alien Gods details at length how Lovecraft's writings inspired much of the ancient alien belief.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join