It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey You, Put That Drink Down Or Change Your Attitude!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
I tried to read your whole post, but I've been drinking since 10 o'clock this morning and my attention span is short. So, I instead read some of the follow-up posts and I have to disagree with all that you guys believe in.

Negative emotions exist for a reason...standing as an equal to Positive emotions.

what you are actually advocating is suppression of ones true feelings and denial of reality.

when a person lives in such a manner...death will soon become a passionate desire anyway and it doesn't matter the condition of the shell you'll leave behind.

this explains why so many of your posts don't make total sense.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Thats about as pseudo science as you can get with your "science". I always wondered about those studies, so i actually started studying quantum physics and your not understanding the ideas behind the science.. try reading some books on the subject from the science section, not the philosophy section.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

it explains a little of it.

the rest of the reason my posts don't make sense is because i'm smarter than you.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

reply to post by solongandgoodnight

it explains a little of it.

the rest of the reason my posts don't make sense is because i'm smarter than you.
Lol.....ya maybe so.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

Maybe so, but I honestly feel that the philosophers have a much more fulfilling impact than some of the scientist, and judging by some of the post so far I would say I am not alone. Now don't get me wrong, I think they both have their place.

I did state that that was about all I know so why don't you enlighten us?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Could not resist putting this video here

Great thread OP

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I tried to read your whole post, but I've been drinking since 10 o'clock this morning and my attention span is short. So, I instead read some of the follow-up posts and I have to disagree with all that you guys believe in.

Negative emotions exist for a reason...standing as an equal to Positive emotions.

what you are actually advocating is suppression of ones true feelings and denial of reality.

when a person lives in such a manner...death will soon become a passionate desire anyway and it doesn't matter the condition of the shell you'll leave behind.

Come on back when you sober up.

I'm not saying suppress the negative emotions, that is what they call a ticking time bomb. I'm saying that they are amplified when your drunk and that's not a good thing. In my opinion that's going to make you push daisy's a little quicker.

Good and bad are just degrees of the same thing. Where does one stop and the other begin? Focus on the former.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Great post OP, very well put together, with a good meaning as well.

Alcohol seems to distract us, and it amplifies the mood you are in, the moment you start drinking.

It seems like it is a catalyst to behavior that stems from that emotion. It seems to do this by simply amplifying that emotion. Once a person is under enough emotional stress, one will act in a certain behavior associated with that emotion. I myself, have met this first hand. I have an apartment full of holes and knuckles to prove it.

In the midst of that, though, I realized, that I really do have full control over my emotions. No matter how hard, how taxing it is on my body.

Once you realize that emotions are electrochemical reactions stemmed from our brain's perception of those electrochemical signals that neurons relay, you realize that you can out "think" those signals. If you've felt an emotion once, I've found, that you can re-create that feeling by simply thinking of that emotion and exactly how it makes you feel.

This might all sound like hog-wash to a lot of people, and it might be.
But it works for me. I know it works, truthfully. I've had many deep conversations with my friends about this subject, and we have done "experiments" where we start drinking when we are all under the same effect of a certain emotion. This is usually done when an event happens that effects all of us. We start drinking all feeling a certain emotion, but we are able to take that energy put forth to that emotion, and transform that into another emotion.

I know, call me crazy. Call me retarded (I was dropped on my . ONCE as a baby)
So I probably do have something wrong with me.

But all in all, it doesn't matter what BS condition a doctor has told you that you have, as long as you understand that we are all connected.

Different emotions seem to have a different energy associated with them. This could be due to different chemicals being released to give a certain emotion, at least that's how our brain processes that.

I am here to learn, and to maybe teach if I feel I know enough.

Good day and good vibes to all (Especially to those who flame me and ostracize me
)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Trappenin

Well said!

I agree whole heartedly. I think it is great that you and your friends did experiments, no quotes because that's what they were.

Like you said, when you start drinking whatever mood you were in when you started is usually sets the tone for the ride. Though situations can arise during the process that can sway the emotion either way for better or worse, it's usually not the case.

It really is mind over matter, your own grey matter between the ears and the electro-chemicals that make it tick.

You said you wished to teach, with your post, you just did.

Thanks for the input.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
let's face the facts. some people can drink, and some can not. (i'm guessing you would agree) i am one of those who simply can not drink. i was actually on my way and close to drinking myself to death unfortunately. my mind was constantly going in to a state of complete apathy and i often had negative emotions. so for me, it just doesn't work. since i have quit drinking my mind has returned to a much better state, my health has improved, and my outlook on life is much better.

i do want to stress, that just because its not a good idea for me to drink, doesn't mean what i've said applies to everyone.
I do agree all the way. I myself am a happy drinker for the most part, but there are times that it reinforces the negativity if I'm down. So after learning of the possibilities here I try to not do it. Not always a success.

Just let it be known that I write for myself as well as others. Something to fall back on.

Thank you for the honesty an kudos on your mind and health.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I dont drink but enjoyed reading your post and the resulting replys....I am a mine of usless information an as you refer to grey matter meaning brains...Only dead brains look grey live brain matter is pink just as dead skeletons apear white liveing bone is also pink.Of course I drink fluids but not alchcohol/

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ecossiepossie

Thanks for the info. I don't know what a live one looks like as I have only held a dead one at The Bodies Exhibition. It was definitely grey. I'll take your word for it though.

Sorry, I'm usually not the grammar police but you left yourself wide open. Use your pink mine!!

edit on 31-5-2012 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If a person is drinking because they are unhappy, wouldn't the cause of their unhappiness be the real problem and not actually the alcohol they're drinking to forget about it?

Nobody cares about other peoples problems enough to try and help fix them, why do people all the sudden care about alcohol exclusively (trying to fix the treatment not the disease)? It's seems there is a bit of a witch hunt mentality to some people who try to get others to quit some substances. People drink because they could care less about their existence on this sorry planet, the problems are too great for an individual to try and correct so they would rather just forget this life and get out whenever the first train arrives. You can't try to make an intellectual argument to someone in that state, they could care less about their own life so it would seem they probably don't care too much about reason.

If you want people to stop drinking, the focus needs to be on the reason these people are comfort drinking in the first place and not the drinking itself. Society is plagued will ills that people are trying to treat with alcohol, protest and all manner of things crazy and not, until you fix the real problems people will continue to do destructive actions to themselves and others. Once you strike someone down to the bottom of society they are going to hold a resentment for all of society for doing this to them. Pretty much the same reason the department of "corrections" can never correct anyone, people can not be naturally "corrected" and it will have adverse effects.

If you try to take alcohol away from someone who doesn't give a crap, results may vary. The only way to squash the desire for alcohol is to change the entire world for the better. Fortunately, if you are correct in your points about human consciousness affecting reality we can do that merely by thinking it up... I don't doubt this idea but maybe we should be thinking about and trying to fix the real problems of the world instead of what self-destructive individuals are using to alleviate the pain of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

It seems a lot of people are missing the point. It's not to get people to stop drinking, though if doing so has a positive effect on their lives, and we know there are some that should kick it for their selves and others around them well being, then they are all the better for it. It is just to bring to the forefront that it could bring worse problems than the medical community already tells us and to try to concentrate on the good in their lives than the bad. That is the true meaning of "forgetting" their problems. It's just an attitude shift that is needed.

I would say that a majority people don't forget their problems when drinking, and trying to do so is the initiator in grabbing the juice in the first place. I can't speak for others, but for myself, if I am drinking because I am trying to 'forget', it doesn't work. It only intensifies the hurt in the first place. Maybe for a few moments through it all, but the see-saw effect is radical.

So yeah, I cant catalogue and fix every single problem for every single individual out there, if I could I would. But I would list this as one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind. Some posters have already seen some good come from this and I would consider that a huge success.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I believe your right in a way, denying our feelings and supressing them only serves to strengthen them, sweeping our bad feelings under the rug won't do us any good. I believe we should observe our thoughts and let them run their course as is taught in buddhism(AFAIK), so while it's no good supressing our unpleasant thoughts I don't think we need to dwell on them either.. and like Jung said, exploring our shadow side - making the unconscious conscious is the path to enlightenment. So I think the golden mean is the best way, our as we would say in Sweden, lagom är bäst..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Its very interesting how we are getting to a point in modern science that we are discovering the proof of intelligent creation. (:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join