It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Sickening. Designer Sneakers made of custom order stingrays!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

ps, the genetic argument is completly null and void scince they are being bred in captivity, away from the wild fish!

oh yes, because nothing ever could go wrong and get out. already there have been synthetically mutated animals found in the wild, one was a bunny with a deep sea fluorescent jellyfish gene.

so long as they're humane about killing the animal, i don't have a problem with using any animal, but modifying it's genes is dangerous.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

so killing is cool but you have an issue with cross breeding?!

you must hate Biracial (is this the correct word? i have no clue) people! (i dont mean racialy here, but on a genetic level) ... as really this is all there cross breeding is doing, its akin to a causasian woman and a black man (or vice versa) making whoopie and producing a baby which is a little bit of both!

this whole argument is ridicilious, does anyone here actualy think the cows , pigs and sheep we eat in society have always been like that? ... if you do then your an abject idiot as the farmed animals we see now are the product of 100's, if not 1000's of years of cross breeding ...or genetic manupulation if you prefer that term, except its 100% natrual genetic manipulation!

edit on 31-5-2012 by boaby_phet because: potential racial harmony, not clued up on all correct racial terms

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Throw out the word genetic and people freak out because they don't understand. This is basically selective breeding sped up. It wouldn't matter if they let the little foot cozies out to breed.
edit on 31-5-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Cows are used for food the leather is supplicatory, if my BMW does not come with leather, I won't purchase it. If cows were only used for leather, then I could do away with the leather.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Fair enough I suppose. I don't think eating meet is a necessity (I had trouble typing), so even if leather were the only reason for breeding cows I would be fine with it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

you know, im just against the idea of using cows only for leather completly, but only because a HELL of a lot of meat will go to waste!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yea....

I am not too fond of this idea.

This is just my personal opinion, but i don't believe in raising/killing a living being for the sole purpose of fashion. These shoes could easily be replicated with normal shoe materials.

Man, seems like that company is investing a lot of money into this.... just for shoes? I know they sell for $1,800 and everything but what if the shoes don't sell? They must have some other purpose for this also..

Heh... their video makes me laugh. You see the stingray swimming in a natural ocean, but in reality they are most likely kept in extra small tanks with nothing inside. www.rayfish.com...
edit on 31-5-2012 by Jeedawg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The only thing that would make these better is if they were made out of Blue whales.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Ha! I like that.

Professional what if they were giving the stingray meat to hungry people, or eating it, or you got to eat it? Would that change your mind? I get why this company bugs you. It really seems completely frivolous to me at least. Leather happens because yum, cows. Fur coats keep women warm. These are pretty dumb looking shoes, and leather or synthetic would be a better substitute.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

i'm ok with killing animals to meet human needs, and this falls under that...in theory anyways. it's rather exorbitant and impractical.

crossbreeding and genetic manipulation are two vastly different things. domesticated pigs that escape begin to go feral within months. this includes growing hair and tusks back.

here's an article on feral cows only being discovered some 35 years ago in america. yes, that's right. naturally wild cows living within a few miles of major cities weren't thought to exist.

animals do change over time, but introducing artificial changes suddenly is dangerous. just look at all the problems monsanto has caused with it's manipulation.

my argument is logical and factual with plenty of existing examples of genetic manipulations gone wrong.

edit on 31-5-2012 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

you don't see anything of shock...
so if there was a species that could farm humans for food, clothing
and beauty products experiments,
modifying you and your family, your kids, to produce better food or jackets with stripes out of your skin,
would that be ok then ?
wouldn't that shock you or anything ?
...right.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
it is an extravagance, but i'm more against the DNA manipulation of a creature than turning them into shoes.

Thats my problem with it also. which is odd because i never consider myself as someone who would oppose the whole "playing god" argument for not interfering in such things. I guess im all for it when it comes to stem cells, cloning as that type of research and study will bring us great new medical technology's .

But i find there is a difference to growing a liver to save someones life.
And the latest fashion.

edit on 31-5-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
$ 1800 / pair ?????????????????????????????

here is my prediction

counterfieters will already have plans to make replicas using natural ray-skin or some subsitute dyed in exactly the same way that the shoes we year today are dyed

result - replicas that are visually indistinguishable [ at least when they areon someone-elses feet ]

sold for $20 upwards

you may know that your genuine diseigner GM rayskin sneakers are origionals - but no one else will [ unless they already know you to be an idiot with more money than sense ]

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't see anything outrages about this except they cost to much money and id love to own a pair of purple ones..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Finally able to read the story as one of the links now works.

No one can buy a pair of these sneakers yet.

They are not for sale yet.

This is a story. Its FAKE FAKE FAKE. I am guessing this is a complete hoax. Looking at their hompage i am guessing this is a stunt to highlight how we are exploiting nature. rayfish.com...

There is no way of contacting them on the website. Its fake.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thats is messed up, Who the hell wants to wear Stingrays, "Hey bud watch out for my barb on the big toe" I know this is bad to say, but I hope one of those stingray's gets those idiots, a barb right to the balls. If they have any. probably genetically grow them without barbs. So your really just wearing a fish, No sting, in Ray

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I think every living being deserves a chance to live their life, I'm not against people hunting for food because that's a necessity to survive. But this is totally outrageous.

My thoughts exactly.

$1800/pair of shoes??
More dollars than sense.
Sick.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i feel so certain that MONSANTO is behind this somehow.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I bet croc hunter Steve Irwin would have a soft spot in his heart for these shoes!

. ...What? Too soon?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutatismutandis

I bet croc hunter Steve Irwin would have a soft spot in his heart for these shoes!

. ...What? Too soon?

i have a feeling that if he does manage to come back (with all the zombie stuff going on lately)

he would actually go forward and try to protect the stingrays even though one stabbed him.

he is just a cool hero like that, and would still respect the animals.

as for your joke, well. i didn't laugh... but whatever. its just a joke.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join