It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Sickening. Designer Sneakers made of custom order stingrays!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
whats going on with the links???

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I don't really see it any different than buying a leather jacket or chair to be honest.

I agree, at least they arent farming them in the wild, and are actually growing them for the specific purpose, instead of people crying foul for them "depopulating" a species.......

You cant win with some people i swear........

I suppose OPs shoes are made from nothing but nylon and velcro

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't see anything of shock..

We always grown animals ONLY for food (they live 90% of their lives in cage)
We always grown animals for their fur and leather.
We modified grapes to have no seeds.
We modified Fruits to be larger.
We modified Rice to be enriched with minerals/vitamins.

Now they modified Stingrays to produce patterns on their skins so they can be "farmed" for their skin.

I see we been doing this all along. I'm sure you are at least guilty of doing something from the list.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I don't see anything of shock..

We always grown animals ONLY for food (they live 90% of their lives in cage)
We always grown animals for their fur and leather.
We modified grapes to have no seeds.
We modified Fruits to be larger.
We modified Rice to be enriched with minerals/vitamins.

Well said! Talking about fur and leather, I've been to a large crocodile farm in Thailand, and I mean large. These beasts have been kept there for a long long time, so people can have fancy shoes, belts and handbags, and very few find it in bad taste. I don't. What's the bid deal?

To the OP: I have a big shocker for you - some time ago, the Chinese developed a novel way to produce fancy fibers (to be used in expensive fabrics), which involves very unusual and cruel treatment of certain species, with living creatures being boiled alive! What is PETA thinking! What's even more disturbing, the product is widely exported and sold around the world! The evil invention is called "silk" (yikes!).

edit on 31-5-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Heck I wouldn't mind a coat made of stingray....at least it will be waterproof

Shark skin has been used for many years as sandpaper, I have many items of clothing made from skin and fur, you just can not get any better with synthetic stuff.
I wish I could afford a snake skin jacket (crocidile dundee style).
I really can not see any difference between stingray and a cow in the aspect we use them for our clothing, heck many animals today would be extinct if we didn't have use for them.
Thinking back as well to my first job (Fishmonger) we used to sell skate wings which are from the ray family and they taste really good

edit on 31-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I find it amusing that with all that is wrong in the world you chose to post on stingray skins and the way they are genetically altered. I think you need to get your head out of your posterior and get a real life. Ray skin is tough and durable. It has been used for ages. Why don't you find a real cause celeb' to spout off about?

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

For all of the people who are all sickened and disgusted by this,

Can you please tell me how taking the life of a stingray is somehow worse or even different
than taking the life of a cow for its leather or an ostrich to make boots?

I love how it is SOO wrong to kill one animal yet perfectly ok to kill another.
Either we all agree that killing animals is wrong and we all live as vegetarians or we kill indiscriminately
and take from animals what we want and toss the rest.

All I see here is hypocracy, please prove me wrong.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
how dare they make stingray shoes!!!

thats what cows are for... right ?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well I am one person who is not afraid to admit that the only concerns I have about farming animals is that they are not diseased when the food ends up on my plate.

Humans are not the first species on earth to kill another species and humans will not be the last. There are Japanese hornets that invade and take over a honeybee nest, literally slaughtering thousands of bees just so they can live there. So how is that so different from what humans do? Just because we're sentient and bees are not we are suddenly not allowed to use animals for resources?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

I don't really see it any different than buying a leather jacket or chair to be honest.

I agree, at least they arent farming them in the wild, and are actually growing them for the specific purpose, instead of people crying foul for them "depopulating" a species.......

You cant win with some people i swear........

I suppose OPs shoes are made from nothing but nylon and velcro

I wonder if the opponents have ever eaten at McDonalds?

Bad example as vegans claim moral high ground. But for them they need to look at modern farming practices and how it has destroyed native indigenous species. They've tore up natural habitats all over the place to grow veggies.

The bottom line is humans are at the top of the food chain and those under are not going to be living a carefree existence. On the other hand, I'm happy of our position because I don't worry about being skinned alive on my way to work. Until the aliens come maybe...

edit on 31-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

For once, words fail me....

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Bad example as vegans claim moral high ground. But for them they need to look at modern farming practices and how it has destroyed native indigenous species. They've tore up natural habitats all over the place to grow veggies.

Seriously, how dare you stigmatize my vegetable patch! There were nasty weeds there in the corner, now there is fresh produce for the family and it looks better. Don tread on vegans!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I don't see the outrage? Why is this a problem? If we are killing them anyway, then why not change their colors first? Is it because they are stingrays? We use a hellalot of leather and not too many people complain.

Is it because it is "extravagant?" Would it be better if it was cheap?

In my opinion, the only way to be outraged over this, is if one is a pure vegan that only wears hemp clothing and straw sandals, LOL!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
are people really firing out stars and flags and comments when we can't even read the story?

this is a little ridiculous.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Seriously, how dare you stigmatize my vegetable patch! There were nasty weeds there in the corner, now there is fresh produce for the family and it looks better. Don tread on vegans!

I once had a "karma free" meal. It was prepared by Hare Krishnas, and nothing had to be killed in the preparation of the meal. No animal by-products, no roots, no seeds, etc.

It was a wonderful meal too!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I once had a "karma free" meal. It was prepared by Hare Krishnas, and nothing had to be killed in the preparation of the meal. No animal by-products, no roots, no seeds, etc.

It was a wonderful meal too!

Can we mass produce karma free stuff?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It's just revenge for what they did to Steve Irwin.
Take that!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I once had a "karma free" meal. It was prepared by Hare Krishnas, and nothing had to be killed in the preparation of the meal. No animal by-products, no roots, no seeds, etc. It was a wonderful meal too!

First of all, this was not "karma free" meal. I hate to break it to you, but you got good karma through it.

Second, I have a confession to make -- I am a terrible person, because I do use roots and seeds in my delicious meals. I'm known as the Bane of Carrots, the Murderer of Beets, and the Butcher of Sesame Seeds. In addition, I'm considering fortifying my straw sandals with some serious fish skin!

edit on 31-5-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Good idea! I hear sharks and stingrays have pretty tough ol' hides, and nifty colors too!

Although, if I were doing it, I'd have to stick with good ol' mudcat skin. Ugliest fish around, the hide has to be good!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Can we mass produce karma free stuff?

I don't think we have enough Hare Krishnas for that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join