It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC proposes ban on sale of oversized sodas, sugary drinks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I'm glad they are doing this. They should go further. I'm tired of fat people giving me glares for smoking, now I can give them glares back....

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I propose we give New York back to England. New Yorkers are letting their rights be trampled upon on a daily basis. It is shameful. New York is nothing more than an English Colony now.

Just kidding of course, but citizens of NY don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. We all know your city is the first to go.
edit on 31-5-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

California let itself go first with the 3 strikes rule. There is no reason why someone should be sentenced to life for crimes that normally don't justify it.

Rehabilitation failure is a failure of the state seeing as the state mandates the laws to follow.

Ooooh the irony in this one...

Take the case of shoplifters, their annoying, but even as previous business owner I wouldn't want to see someone go away for life. I'd rather them mop my floor for a day. Even if I have to sit and watch them the whole time to make sure their first act isn't repeated.

Rather old article...

They did this back in 94?

NYC is waaay behind.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Well if they take it this far, the next thing you know, they'll put a ban on having sex, or something equally ridiculous. I'm really starting to hate this country, but New Yorkers seem to get the shaft worst of all.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Oh yes, Californias got it bad, were all waiting for California to go the way of China...Through the Pacific.

Yep. Ny and California will capitulate at once, then Chicago and Detroit will follow suit. Then goes Seattle and Florida gets swallowed by the Cubans. Sad, but true.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

Yeah its pretty sad. And I think there are many things in the books. Sad because 9/11 happened to NY and while it was an attack on all America, many of them would not get their house in order and refused to believe that it was not an attack on all America, but just an attack on NY. Funny how that worked out because, when people did reach out many had the attitude of F# You this is not your city, blah blah blah, then they continue down the path of self destruction.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
But seriously New York, where is your fury? Where is your patriotism? You let a bunch of hippy protestors take over your city and piss on your sidewalks, on your front door steps? You do nothing. NOTHING. You just sit there and let it happen?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Really gonna get mad bc they want to cut down on your soda intake? This is a good thing. Atleast it's not something along the lines of ketchup being labeled a veggie.

Someone already said it first but America has some big drinks! Big like I seriously cannot believe you're gonna drink 64 oz of soda right now disgustingly big. It's too much and no way is it healthy for you. Just go into any 7/11 and AM/PM and check out their cup selection.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Oh I miss 7/11. Slurpies and greasy hot dogs. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Why did you have to go and cut at my heart strings?

The best par about 7/11 is the Chilli Cheese. You can have a meal for 75 cents. Just grab a bag of chips open it and proceed the the chilli cheese dispenser Poor all the chili cheese that you can fit in the bag and then purchase. Don't forget your 64 ounce big gulp of course.

Oh thank heaven for 7/11!

Oh and btw, it's not me who will be getting mad. It will be the citizens of NY, but I don't live there so yay for me.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ha! The irony right? What about mouth breathers? They are breathing more oxygen than me! They should be banned! And we should send out regulators to all the lemonade stands (registered and legitimate of course) to make sure little boys and girls are only serving all natural lemonade with proportionate amounts of sugar.

And what about those bars...they should be banned. Those drinkers are drinking large amounts of sugar with their mixed drinks and all....

But some see this as a good thing.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by boncho

I propose we give New York back to England. New Yorkers are letting their rights be trampled upon on a daily basis. It is shameful. New York is nothing more than an English Colony now.

Just kidding of course, but citizens of NY don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. We all know your city is the first to go.

You would have to give the whole US back by them standards...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Really gonna get mad bc they want to cut down on your soda intake? This is a good thing. Atleast it's not something along the lines of ketchup being labeled a veggie.

Someone already said it first but America has some big drinks! Big like I seriously cannot believe you're gonna drink 64 oz of soda right now disgustingly big. It's too much and no way is it healthy for you. Just go into any 7/11 and AM/PM and check out their cup selection.

But you have a choice...7/11, AM/PM, etc, have smaller sizes. Just because they offer larger sizes doesn't mean you have to take it.

If you want "them" to cut down on your drink sizes, where does it stop? What about in the home? Should they step in and decide what is too much in your refrigerator? What about at the checkout stand? Should they step in and decide you are buying too much in quantity of "sugary" drinks or soda?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
This is kinda hilarious, I image speak easies poping up for large sodas like back in the prohibition lmao.

Im glad I don't live there, I wouldn't know what to do without my mt. dew. Lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
As a New Yorker, I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, as a non-smoker I'm glad they banned smoking inside public establishments as second hand smoke is something that affects other people and not just the smoker. The argument some had that was basically, "if you don't like it, don't go out to bars," was ridiculous because why should I not get to enjoy a social life because I don't want to die of cancer.

I also appreciate that cutting down on smoking removes a significant burden on society for all the health costs it incurs from those who get sick from these things. I know the annoyance of dealing with not being able to smoke inside public places drove several of my friends to quit, at least for a while, though some did permanently.

Anyway, this is a bit different in the sense that people drinking too much sugary sodas doesn't affect me directly, there's no second-hand sugar floating around in the air to cause me problems, but it probably isn't so bad for general public health by cutting health problems in other ways. Then again, if it's a sugar-fix people need, they'll just buy more candy at the movie theater or whatever.

I almost never drink sugar sodas and usually stick to Diet Coke (especially with lime), Diet Dr. Pepper and Fresca. I just don't see the point, especially since I prefer the taste of Diet Coke over other cola drinks, can't tell the difference between Diet and regular Dr. Pepper and just plain old love Fresca. I'm also obsessed with Vitamin Water Zero, which is very low in carbs and tastes great. That being said, I'm really not one to be casting a disapproving eye on others for their sugar consumption -- I have a real problem with chocolate chip cookies, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and several flavors of Ben & Jerry's. I was very good for about six months and lost a lot of weight, but I've been very bad the last month or so and gained a bit back.
edit on 5/31/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

This is a good thing.

It is a good thing for the 'nanny-statists' that want the govt to micromanage their lives, so they don't have to worry about anything.

A good thing would be for you to eat all the GMO veggies you care to laced with govt supported pesticides and herbicides, but let freedom loving people be free to buy, eat and drink in portion sizes that they want to.

ETA:

Just go into any 7/11 and AM/PM and check out their cup selection.
Take notice to the last word that you wrote there. 'Selection'. It is a sign of freedom, no one is forcing anyone to buy any particular size.
edit on 31-5-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Also, there is no stopping someone from going out and buying a 2-liter bottle of soda and drinking that. People who consume this much soda generally do so while being fully aware they are destroying themselves.

I think you are grossly overestimating the level of awareness in that segment of the population.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join