It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC proposes ban on sale of oversized sodas, sugary drinks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

NYC proposes ban on sale of oversized sodas, sugary drinks

www.usatoday.com

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City plans to ban the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks in an effort to combat obesity.
The proposed first-in-the-nation ban would impose a 16-ounce limit on the size of sweetened drinks sold at restaurants, movie theaters, sports venues and street carts. It would apply to bottled drinks as well as fountain sodas.
The ban, which could take effect as soon as March, wouldn't apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks or alcoholic beverages.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Wednesday that he "thinks it's what the public wants the mayor to do."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Oh, you poor souls in New York, it seems your freedoms are eroding more and more everyday. Mayor Bloomberg "thinks it's what the public wants the mayor to do." Really? People want some politician to tell them how much soda they are allowed to consume?

Whats next, are they gonna do away with 12 packs and 2 Liters? I imagine Bloomberg and his friends have their hands in the movies and events. Just imagine in the future when you go and pay what I don't know $20 dollars for a movie ticket and go to buy a popcorn and soda, they will charge you another arm and a leg, then you can only get a small soda because the mayor can't let you decide for yourself what to put in your body cause you might get too fat. And then theres no butter or salt on your popcorn, then you find yourself making multiple trips to the concession stand because the artificial sweetener they put in your soda doesn't tickle your fancy.

Whats next? They're gonna put a chip in you for health reasons. Sorry bud, your cholesterols too high, no bacon for you. Don't blame me, everyone has free healthcare now so you have to do your part.

Hey New York. Are you a British colony yet? Or did you join Canada and became a british colony? Is NY a city in America anymore? Sometimes I wonder.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
More like "waaaaaaah! i need my soda to drink all day! they can't take it away! what am i suppossed to drink? something healthy? nay to that!"

Soda and sugary drinks are as bad as tobacco which is regulated and no one cares about that. so shut up. Sorry if that seems mean.

Edit-
Also; as a poor person; I want free health care. it is a human right and the government should provide it for me. I can barely believe this is even a debate.
edit on 31-5-2012 by floppynoodleson666 because: Health Care

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by floppynoodleson666

No its not mean, its ignorant.

Drink whatever the hell you want. I don't care. But heres a tip, the artificial sweeteners cause health problems, not sugar.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Maybe instead of using tobacco regulation to validate regulation of food, we need to start thinking in the opposite direction. Maybe there is no more justification for regulating tobacco then there is for regulating food?

Prohibition fast or prohibition slow - its still prohibition and it still doesn't work.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm going to step out of the topic a bit and say this, America has some big ass soda drinks

Seriously I've seen the size of those things and it's scary, no one need that much soda, unless you're godzilla.
Maybe you could all think about a resize instead of a ban.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Makes sense as those bridges can only support so much weight and the tunnels do have a pretty small diameter.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Ok then here's what i want you to do. Drink stuff that is 100% natural sugar all day, everyday for ten years. no water. just things made with 100% natural sugar.

If you don't die, i owe you a Coke.

It's not about what is in the stuff. It is about how much the average person imbibes of it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

really who gives a crap? Seriously what are you some food nazi?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

no; what i am saying is who gives a crap if they ban giant large drinks? why do you need this much soda? why does this make them facists?

Edit in response to others-
Sugar kills the same way tobacco does. Don't try to argue against that. Diabetes is a slow death the same way some cancers are. not much difference.
part of life is death. accept it. also accept the things that will kill you . and accept the things to avoid to not die if you want to live a long life.
If you don't want to live long; screw it. Eat lots of sugars and fats and drink whatever.
edit on 31-5-2012 by floppynoodleson666 because: have to argue; us Americans Soda Sizes are WAY TOO BIG

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

It sets another precedent, that's why. Also, there is no stopping someone from going out and buying a 2-liter bottle of soda and drinking that. People who consume this much soda generally do so while being fully aware they are destroying themselves.

Wasting time, yes.. wasting time, money and resources on something so mundane, when there are far better things to apply such power. Considering we are talking about the mayoral office of New York City, one of the most prosperous complex cities on planet Earth.

This would do nothing to combat obesity, nothing. Their intentions have nothing to do with "obesity", it's all about setting more precedents to micromanage the lives of people, so the people get used to it and allow more micro-control while losing sight of the macro.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Last time I was at the movie theater, I had a 72 oz soda. Coke is my favorite soda and a big ass bucket full of popcorn. I drank all the soda and ate all the popcorn. Can you blame me? The theaters already have a 1000% markup. I don't feel guilty about it at all. If it hurt me an any way, it hurt my wallet. If somebody told me they were not going to give me what I want because I might get fat, I might just punch them square in the jaw, on principal alone.

Now you want to know what the fatties drink? They drink diet sodas. Notice, they do not wish to ban diet sodas with artificial sweeteners. No, cause that is the cause of obesity.

But as Ron White said, you can't fix stupid. So just let the people have what they want.
edit on 31-5-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Evansr

Maybe you could all think about a resize instead of a ban.

I think thats the issue. The mayor wants to ban all sodas over 16 ounces, except for diet sodas of course.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by floppynoodleson666
Soda and sugary drinks are as bad as tobacco which is regulated and no one cares about that. so shut up. Sorry if that seems mean.

Why apologize when you are not sorry at all! You said what you meant and meant what you said -- but decided that your "sorry" was going to win over some converts?

While sugary drinks are bad, I am not sure I would equate it to tobacco. You stated it isn't a debate, but provided no facts, no theory -- just you declaring such. Many here would gladly enjoy the research regarding your opinion.

As for the ban -- what is oversized? Who gets to decide? What if I choose to walk down the street with a two-liter in my backpack for my friends and me? Would I be breaking the law? Or is this only an attempt to further the taxing power of an already over-bloated, over-powerful entity that seeks to control all aspects of public and private life?

Also; as a poor person; I want free health care. it is a human right and the government should provide it for me. I can barely believe this is even a debate

Also as one who struggles from day to day, with maintaining a family and living paycheck to paycheck I seem to have found a way to provide a healthy diet for my family AND at least some very basic insurance to cover the greater costs in regards to medical. All the small stuff -- we save and pay cash for. But woes me! I am poor! So am I but I don't lament and demand people stop drinking big sodas and provide me with free stuff! I learned the world didn't revolve around me sometime around age 15.
edit on 31-5-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Ah; you are right about fat folks drinking diet stuff; yet they stay fat. and I drink a can of coke with every meal for the past 20 years yet i am still around 150 Lbs. I just get sick of seeing fat people everwhere; (sorry fat people; maybe take a friggin walk?) and I have no problem with governmental control. i think its just a difference of politics.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Wow see your coming around. I was 150 but somehow I gained 10 pounds.

But you can't fix stupid. So let the people have what they want. They are only a burden if you allow them to be and with the health care laws, everyone becomes a burden.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I still have no way of getting health care. so i will continue to support free health care. and also; Eff fat people. let them suffer. They will learn to drink water if they can't have as much soda
In fact; Diet soda should be outlawed because it just tricks them into thinking they are being healthy.

PS Sorry; i am kinda drunk. it is also close to my sleep times. thanks for the debates; its why i love ATS

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Sugar kills the same way tobacco does. Don't try to argue against that. Diabetes is a slow death the same way some cancers are. not much difference.
part of life is death. accept it. also accept the things that will kill you . and accept the things to avoid to not die if you want to live a long life.

At this point in time, damn near everything will kill you. I have no issue accepting death, it could happen at any time. Any random disease, and random natural or man made disaster, the pollution from nearby coal, a head-on collision, the list is virtually endless. With that it mind, it's kinda impossible to avoid things that may do me in, regardless of whether or not I want to live a long life.

If you don't want to live long; screw it. Eat lots of sugars and fats and drink whatever.

Thanks so much for your permission. I fully intend to eat, drink and smoke what I want, however long I'm destined to be here, regardless of what Big Brother or others may want. Don't like it? *shrugs* I don't care.

I don't care what you say anymore this is my life. Go ahead with your own life leave me alone.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
"Sugary" means it has sugar, but soda manufactures are not using sugar :

The Keck researchers found that the sweeteners in Coca-Cola and Pepsi contained as much as 65 percent fructose (and only 35 percent glucose), and Sprite registered as much as 64 percent fructose (and 36 percent glucose).

phys.org...

And we know that sh*t is worse than sugar. Diet sodas with aspartame are not no better neither.

So...I wonder what's their real target.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I still have no way of getting health care. so i will continue to support free health care. and also; Eff fat people. let them suffer. They will learn to drink water if they can't have as much soda
In fact; Diet soda should be outlawed because it just tricks them into thinking they are being healthy.

I don't have healthcare either. But is it your responsibility to take care of fat people? No. But under the new healthcare law it would be.

PS Sorry; i am kinda drunk. it is also close to my sleep times. thanks for the debates; its why i love ATS

No worries. I'm working on that too.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join