It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renouncing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
OK, I've always referred to myself as a Christian. Afterall, I believe in God and believe that Christ came to our world, died, was ressurected...I believe the apostle's creed...
I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord: who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

I do not, in any way, shape or form renounce Christ, my beliefs, any of that, BUT

I hereby RENOUNCE the title of "Christian". I do not wish to be referred to as "christian" or have anything to do with the people who claim to be christian because they are far from it. This site has done this to me. Seeing how the people on here act on a daily basis, the ignorance displayed, the "UNChristian" behavior displayed by them, I do not want to be associated with them in any way. The behaviors and comments utterly disgust me.

So, if you believe that your calling as a Christian is to "bring others into Christianity", guess what, you've just done the opposite. I don't want anything to do with that brand of christianity that YOU display because it disgusts me.

I still believe in God and give glory to him, I still have the same beliefs I've always had and I still follow Christ, but I am not and will not be what is considered a Christian by those here who proclaim themselves to be.

Henceforth, I will refer to myself as a follower of Christ, not as a Christian because I don't want to be labeled with that nasty, hatefilled, bigoted, racist, mysogonistic group of people that are on display here on this forum.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Amen

I love everything that is Jesus... my problem is.

Christianity is a beautiful thing, I'd just like to know when it will be practiced.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS
Amen

I love everything that is Jesus... my problem is.

Christianity is a beautiful thing, I'd just like to know when it will be practiced.

I haven't seen it practiced by a single person here who proclaims to be one

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Then "renounce" this disgust you hold for your fellow human who proclaim themselves "Christians."

Isn't that what Jesus would do? Not picking a fight with you by the way as I agree with much of what you say. Though I pray to God, not Jesus.

I just prefer to lead by example.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Christianity is a lifestyle more than anything

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

*drily* Do you include me in that?

No matter your reply, I will not disown the derogatory-word-from-it's-inception. Just because someone else is a horrible person doesn't mean I'm going to drop my name--they are not me or what I aim to be. Besides, if you wanted loving-yet-heatedly arguing Christians, this was the wrong site to join. Yo'd be better off at some place like: Ship of Fools or something similar.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Then "renounce" this disgust you hold for your fellow human who proclaim themselves "Christians."

Isn't that what Jesus would do? Not picking a fight with you by the way as I agree with much of what you say. Though I pray to God, not Jesus.

I just prefer to lead by example.

Good point

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I understand the strength in prayer... well kinda. More or less see the plausibility of it truly having an effect, which is partially strengthened by the story of the creation of the Codex Gigas. As well as reports about the power of mind and water, then to couple it with the strength of speech and vibration.... meh.

I just lead by example, and find solutions to problems.. no need to ask for help, although that's not to hate on such a notion.

I see God as an architecture, and Jesus as a means... for me, there's little room for prayer, and my focus is on using 'gods' design in attempts of escaping from the patterns of this world.

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ezekiel 43:11
and if they are ashamed of all they have done, make known to them the design of the temple--its arrangement, its exits and entrances--its whole design and all its regulations and laws. Write these down before them so that they may be faithful to its design and follow all its regulations.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

*drily* Do you include me in that?

No matter your reply, I will not disown the derogatory-word-from-it's-inception. Just because someone else is a horrible person doesn't mean I'm going to drop my name--they are not me or what I aim to be. Besides, if you wanted loving-yet-heatedly arguing Christians, this was the wrong site to join. Yo'd be better off at some place like: Ship of Fools or something similar.

I don't recall a lot of interaction with you so I've not see you behave as some of the people here have. If I ever do, I'll say so, but if you aren't one of the people who proclaim themselves to be Chrisitan yet spew hatred and vile at anyone who thinks diffferently at all, no, I wouldn't include you.
There are specific people I have in mind and you weren't one of those people. I won't directly say I agree or disagree with what you stand for as I just don't know.
I actually didn't expect any religious debate at all when I joined the site, it never dawned on me that there would be so many. I was anticipating serious debates about issues such as science, politics, current events, I never dreamed there would be so many here that I, myself, would classify as "thumpers" due to their ignorance and bigotry.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

1. I didn't think you would, since I assumed our interaction was minimal. I had to put it this way because such a generalized spew is going to smear more than the hatemongers you would wish to recoil from. From experience (not necessarily on here, even) even when I've been mild, someone is going to tell me I'm hateful for my viewpoint...often vehemently. I'm not stating that you are, mind, but sometimes hate is as blind as love. Same emotion, flip side?

2. It also leaves those who you can unite with in "Philadelphia" a touch alienated.

3. It also shows a one-sided viewpoint. There's plenty non-Christians who hate on Christians here. Is it because you expect the "outsider" to be hateful? (But they're reactionary? Not all are. And even so, not loving the one whom you are antagonistic towards is not going to reach them, at all. Maturity gets that, irrelevant of faith.) Or is it because the one you're supposed to call brother hurts you so much that you want to punch them to equal the playing field? It's a hurt heart that reacts, btw.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

1. I didn't think you would, since I assumed our interaction was minimal. I had to put it this way because such a generalized spew is going to smear more than the hatemongers you would wish to recoil from. From experience (not necessarily on here, even) even when I've been mild, someone is going to tell me I'm hateful for my viewpoint...often vehemently. I'm not stating that you are, mind, but sometimes hate is as blind as love. Same emotion, flip side?

2. It also leaves those who you can unite with in "Philadelphia" a touch alienated.

3. It also shows a one-sided viewpoint. There's plenty non-Christians who hate on Christians here. Is it because you expect the "outsider" to be hateful? (But they're reactionary? Not all are. And even so, not loving the one whom you are antagonistic towards is not going to reach them, at all. Maturity gets that, irrelevant of faith.) Or is it because the one you're supposed to call brother hurts you so much that you want to punch them to equal the playing field? It's a hurt heart that reacts, btw.

Mostly, I'm very tired of defending my belief in Christ by first stating "I'm a Christian and...", then getting jumped on by both sides because the opposition assumes I'm with the thumpers and the thumpers don't like my expression, so I'm putting myself in my own "group" so their behaviors and attitudes don't speak for me and I am not obliged to them in any way.
Afterall, it's just a word, nothing more, but it has come to mean something on here. They are very adamant about their "group" even though in the real world, people are able to comprehend that many different forms of Crhsitainity exist and many different viewpoints are all legitimate. Yet, on here, there are two groups, those who are "Christian" and those who aren't. The bad part is those who claim to be "Christians" are constantly nasty, full of hatred, constantly causing arguments and condemning with every post they make. Discussions can't be had because they will look at no other viewpoint but their own. They won't even consider someone else's argument or statements. I'm open to listening to other beliefs, other ideas while still holding my own. They aren't and attack anyone who is.
So, basically, I don't want to be a part of what the "Chrsitians of ATS " say they are. It doesn't change my Christianity at all, or my beliefs, but it does separate me from that group that I have very little tolerance for.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

More than anything, christianity is pure crap...in addition, anyone disagreeing with that summation should seek therapy.

It worked for me...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Your post would have been good in the rant forum.

Your rant, your renunciation of Christianity is like if I would say, "I love my country, it's rich history, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, the infrastructure, universities, libraries, museums and national parks. But, I no longer wish to be called an American because of the corruption I have observed in the MSM, GOP, DNC, Tea Partiers Congress, Oval Office, wars etc."

edit on 31-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Instead of asking to be called something else, CALL OUT OTHERS on their blatant hypocrisy!

I do not care if people believe in the magic man in the sky as long as they STOP forcing it upon others!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by HamrHeed

More than anything, christianity is pure crap...in addition, anyone disagreeing with that summation should seek therapy.

It worked for me...

You must get in alot of fights

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
To simply paraphrase a book I have read a few times...

Everytime they spit upon you or strike you or hurl insults at you, smile and know that you have a place in Heaven, for you suffer so for my namesake.... Jesus

Christian...a believer in Christ... a follower of Jesus Christ... for His namesake

If we as Christians can't hold our own by way of verbal assaults, how will we bear the pain and strain of what Jesus suffered... verbal abuse, insults, humiliation, beatings, whippings, and crucifixian?

If we can not bear the burden of being ridiculed, ostracized, and persecuted, and even prosecuted... how will we survive in our spiritual battles? Or maintain ourselves against hunger, deprivation, and loneliness?

If we can not maintain intestinal fortitude in an online social forum... how will we be victorious when we have to choose between Christ or the world...between Jesus or Satan?

You sound weary friend. But fight the good fight. We can judge a tree by it's fruit... not it's name. How will the world know a seasoned, mature Christian versus an immature Christian if the fruitful Christians hide?

How will the immature Chritian be convicted by their actions and words and deeds if there are no examples... like you? As a Christian, we have an obligation to be the example... a beacon for those that stumble over blocks of their own making.

When a parent struggles in raising a wayward child that brings shame to the family... do we change our name? Do we stop claiming them as our children? Or do we love and forgive and hope and pray that they may mend their ways?

Remember, we are in the family... brothers and sisters in Christ.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I know what you mean, I was raised a Christian but being exposed to many of the conflicts and different values between the sections of organised religion really fell in the face of what Jesus was about. These days I see Jesus as a good role model, like Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, Ra, and many others throughout the world. I drifted around in belief systems and perceptions of god for a while.

Now I am associating to Scientism, a belief in the scientific principles. Reasoned discussion, validation of facts and a clearer picture of just what exactly is going on in life. While the topic of god is still a clouded and hazy concept, the more we understand of how life actually works, the closer we do get to finding out what god is actually about. With this universe so big and vast I do not know if humanity will actually define all of what god is, but science has the best framework so far to give it a chance.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
To simply paraphrase a book I have read a few times...

Everytime they spit upon you or strike you or hurl insults at you, smile and know that you have a place in Heaven, for you suffer so for my namesake.... Jesus

Christian...a believer in Christ... a follower of Jesus Christ... for His namesake

If we as Christians can't hold our own by way of verbal assaults, how will we bear the pain and strain of what Jesus suffered... verbal abuse, insults, humiliation, beatings, whippings, and crucifixian?

If we can not bear the burden of being ridiculed, ostracized, and persecuted, and even prosecuted... how will we survive in our spiritual battles? Or maintain ourselves against hunger, deprivation, and loneliness?

If we can not maintain intestinal fortitude in an online social forum... how will we be victorious when we have to choose between Christ or the world...between Jesus or Satan?

You sound weary friend. But fight the good fight. We can judge a tree by it's fruit... not it's name. How will the world know a seasoned, mature Christian versus an immature Christian if the fruitful Christians hide?

How will the immature Chritian be convicted by their actions and words and deeds if there are no examples... like you? As a Christian, we have an obligation to be the example... a beacon for those that stumble over blocks of their own making.

When a parent struggles in raising a wayward child that brings shame to the family... do we change our name? Do we stop claiming them as our children? Or do we love and forgive and hope and pray that they may mend their ways?

Remember, we are in the family... brothers and sisters in Christ.

Oh, I'm still a follower of Christ, I'm just not part of that nasty group that refers to themselves as christians when they are far from it. I shake their dust from my feet and leave them for God to judge. They are not worthy of my time or effort.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I agree with your sentiment. The fact you are a good person who believes in God is enough. Continue to pray, know that Jesus may show up on your doorstep as a homeless homosexual and do the right thing when he does. God loves all. A true christian need not label themselves as such. They simply live the life of a person who does not judge, helps others when they can, and asks nothing in return for their deeds. I applaud you.

CJ

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

try Catholicism. It is not trendy like Christian faiths are today, especially in the US. There is a push for a more traditional church. One full of reverence and the sacred. The worship will be solemn, and the worshipers true. I believe the church will clean house and though weakened in numbers, particularly in the US and Europe, it will have true Catholics again.

I don't consider myself catholic anymore but still, I acknowledge the fact that systemized faith can be beneficial for some. I would be catholic if anything at all.

If you do decide to go the catholic way, find a traditional church, preferably one that embraces the Latin mass and / or its literal translation. I would refrain from attending the "new age" Novus Ordo church. It is a disgrace and will be eliminated as it should have been a long time ago. If all else fails, carry your faith yourself. Learn your traditions, practice them and if need be, be your own priest. Read a mass a week. Immerse yourself in study of scripture when you can and live by the teachings until you find a community that resonates with you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join