It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Right, listen for a minute...

I'm well aware of that fact that you Americans like to get up and rant about tyrannical governments and such, but this ban is for the best.

It only came to my attention recently just how large the fizzy drinks (Sodas) are in America. It's beyond crazy, It's insane

I've seen posts here saying about how It's peoples choice what to drink and such but NO ONE and I mean NO ONE needs that amount of juice. It's just greed, pure and simple.

And It's not even just that, some people buy more than one a day!

Juice (soda) is honestly one of the worst things you can pour into your body.

It leeches calcium, vitamins and mineral from your body, is fattening and rots teeth, and this is just from the top of my head.

I've always liked my fizzy juice (try Irn Bru, our national drink) but once I educated myself on how dangerous and damaging it is to you I immediately stopped drinking it. Now, I haven't drank any in over 3 months. All I've drank is water and fruit juice.

This ban will -in my eyes- prevent massive amounts of juice being sold and It will raise awareness about the dangers of it.

It's hilarious how some posters think they are intelligent by saying the government is totalitarian. but the fact is they are just brainless consumers, drinking themselves all the way to the hospital and early death.

Seriously, stop drinking the poison.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

More Factories to close, soon be singing, "WHERE HAVE ALL THE FACTORIES GONE.
WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN " etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous.

My friend drinks a 2 liter of soda a day. If not two. He's ex military and in top shape. Carries it with him like we carry a normal liter of soda.

My son and I go through a 12 pack of soda in 2 days and a case in 4. We drink water as well. I also love sweet tea and vitamin water.

I'll just buy a soda when I want and how often I want. doesn't matter the cup size. A large soda lasts me a day in cup form so in a way, I'm drinking less that way than via cans.

Just sayin'.....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

For the best and raise awareness? Look, I don't know how things are done in Scotland, but let me tell you how they're done Here...

There was a time when smokers could smoke anywhere and anywhen. Then some health bozos claim that second hand smoke kills. Next thing you know there are laws passed to Segregate public places into Smoking and Non Smoking areas. That wasn't enough. Prices went up on cigarettes everywhere, lots of campaigns were launched to stomp them out. Then smoking in All public places was forbidden. It didn't stop there. Smoking OUTDOORS was made illegal and even in private hotel rooms. Today I don't think smokers can smoke in open stadiums much less on their own porches. And the biggest joke is that the Second Hand Smoke Peril was a gross exaggeration or myth. You'd probably have to be in a 4x4 cubicle with a dozen smokers for Hours on end for it do do permanent Damage to your body. But the Anti-Smoking Damage has been Done and nobody's turning the clocks back on it. The laws are here to stay.

That's just one example. There are many others, including the infamous Hemp debacle which was created by Hearst and DuPont. It led to today's situation with the destruction of the rainforests and illegalization of "the weed with roots in hell". And then there was Prohibition...

All of these things because some Azzholes decided to do what's good for us all. And that, of course, was motivated by Money.

And just to set the record straight: I don't drink alcoholic beverages, smoke Anything, nor drink sugary beverages. I just Know how these laws Start and Where they Go.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Assembly Speaker Silver eyes 'Thirst Amendment' to nix Bloomberg's soda ban

Sheldon:

“We may be getting too close to Big Brother,” a clearly bothered Silver told The Post, adding that he’s considering legislation at the state level to stop the mayor’s plan to limit the size of sodas and other sugar-laden drinks sold in the city. Read more: www.nypost.com...

Looks like all New Yorkers haven't lost their common sense.

Gee ya think Sheldon that limiting the size of soda is too close to "big brother" ?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior

I'm well aware of that fact that you Americans like to get up and rant about tyrannical governments and such, but this ban is for the best.

I listened and cannot agree with your premise that the "ban is for the best".

It only came to my attention recently just how large the fizzy drinks (Sodas) are in America. It's beyond crazy, It's insane

Yes it is true you can get a large serving size from restaurants, et. al; but you can also get water, smaller sizes or heaven forbid...not drink the whole darn thing.

I've seen posts here saying about how It's peoples choice what to drink and such but NO ONE and I mean NO ONE needs that amount of juice. It's just greed, pure and simple.

Did I miss the coronation ceremony? When were you crowned the King of Consumption? Your personal belief is noted but your decree that no one needs that amount is silly and misguided. Of course no one "needs" it...but why do you care if they want it? Why are you so up in arms that someone wants to gulp down 32oz of fizzy syrup?

I've always liked my fizzy juice (try Irn Bru, our national drink) but once I educated myself on how dangerous and damaging it is to you I immediately stopped drinking it. Now, I haven't drank any in over 3 months. All I've drank is water and fruit juice.

This is where the irony of your premise and post is highlighted. You educated yourself and made a personal choice. Good for you! I also have severely limited my intake of it and it is once again, just as it was when I was growing up, is a treat for myself and my children and not readily available in the household. You see, we both have made a personal choice based off of information we decided was relevant and pertaining to our own selves. There was no need for government to decide for us, no mandate to declare we aren't intelligent enough and no over-bearing "father" figure to wag its finger at us saying we are just too ill-informed to make the choice for ourselves.

This ban will -in my eyes- prevent massive amounts of juice being sold and It will raise awareness about the dangers of it.

No it will not. People will still buy it. People will get more refills and people will just find a way to get what they want regardless.

I would have been more inclined to agree with the City of New York if they were announcing an educational campaign aimed at the consumption of sugary drinks, but limiting what a private business can supply to a demand that will be filled no matter what regulation is in place is misguided governance.
edit on 2-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Soda Ban, just Wow.
China is starting to seem less communist then the US

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Drinking a Coke or a Pepsi..........

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This has me thinking... Maybe I can make some money on the side selling bootleg Big Gulp cokes in NYC...
It wouldn't be difficult spotting bloated potential customers in search of their sugar fix...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The King of New York, Mike Bloomberg at it again.

I wonder if they also plan on banning the sale of two smaller 12oz drinks to one person since they could potentially drink both of them....

While they are at it maybe they should ban the double cheese burger. One beef patty should be enough for anyone....What a bunch of morons.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Health panel talks about wider food ban

www.myfoxny.com...

At the meeting, some of the members of board said they should be considering other limits on high-calorie foods.

One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

Another board member thinks milk drinks should fall under the size limits.

"There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories," said board member Dr. Joel Forman.

Read more: www.myfoxny.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wish the Federal Govt would Ban itself out of peoples lives.

:::pours soda into double gulp::

Come and get me coppas. You will never take my Dr. Pepper.

::peels off with drink in hand::

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
I wish the Federal Govt would Ban itself out of peoples lives.

Amen,

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
The chance of the most populated city in America actually being able to go through with this? Slim to none. It wont happen.
Right you are!
In today's news;

NYC Soda Ban Dismissed: Judge Rejects Limit On Large Sugary Drinks As 'Arbitrary, Capricious'

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

I'd say that "arbitrary and capricious" pretty much sums up Mayor Bloomberg as well as his new "law".

I fear that somewhere down the line this will be decided in his favor.

I have little faith in the NY Judiciary. I have even less in the politicians who appoint them and ultimately less in the people who elect them. That is how all this happens after all - the people elect these idiots. Can you imagine that the majority of people wanted this guy...

One has to revel in the irony of the people of the City of NY getting exactly what they asked for in electing this douche to the office then whining when he does exactly what he said he would..

I am fine with NYC banning whatever they want - BTW.

I don't live there, have never been there - don't intend to go there. It's bad enough that every movie in the US subjects me to the NY culture. As if the rest of the US craves the lifestyle – wow can I too live stacked on top of my neighbor in an overpriced crap hole with crappy schools and corrupt/incompetent cops and government officials. I am curious, are these portrayals intended to “sell” the City or warn people away?

I understand the possibilities of meeting and falling in love with some exotic foreigner and or being swept off my feet by a rich man in a farcical fantasy and witty banter make that all worthwhile. That and having witty ironic friends who are surprisingly attractive under their eyeglasses and without a pony tail.

I almost hate going to movies if they are set in and around NYC. The people in them are archetypal liberal pseudo-intellectuals who embrace multiculturalism and America bashing.

Why in the hell would anyone want to live there let alone visit? I will never know.

A cesspool of liberal ^&*^tardness in action - wall it off and blow the bridges!

Save America now!

edit on 11/3/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

From Msnbc...

Bloomberg also said the city plans to appeal the decision as soon as possible. "We are confident the measure will ultimately be upheld," he wrote.

Of course they are. They'll pay the next judge a little more. Use some of that same greed, that people have to WANT massive soft drinks, insert $$$ instead of pop.

I agree, it's silly to drink that much pop, but the choice is mine. Take away choices, healthy or not, and it's not even about dying through fat. It's about my freedom to choose to drink myself to death. What next, alcohol? Tobacco, and firearms??? Start with the pop, see how that flies...hahahaha..

Also, confused: Don't we, as conspiracy theorists, think this consumerism and fatness is just part of the "grander" depopulation and control plan???

Or are we in a conspiracy theory paradox now?

I digress..lol

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Once you have accepted that the state knows best I am sure this makes sense to you.

I do not accept that the government, any government at any level knows what is better for me than I do.

Further, even if they know better with their legions of drones pumping out data to support it I do not accept that they can control my behavior at all.

It is not nor has it ever been one of the functions of government to protect people from themselves. To protect us from each other sure, from other governments sure, even from evil corporations in some circumstances I'll buy their authority. Not in this case.

And It's not even just that, some people buy more than one a day!

Wow! When was the pursuit of happiness limited to what one needs - I must have missed the memo.

Living life is not about what one needs that is survival, what one wants and the freedom to make those choices as long as one doesn't hurt others is a crazy concept to most people who were raised in the cradle to grave nanny states in the EU but here we tend to take that stuff seriously.

How so? I can buy 100 - 16oz drinks if I want to... This is America after all.

Would you limit ones caloric and dietary intake to what one needs as determined by the government? Perhaps we could all get government physicals and get daily print outs of what we need and not allowed to purchase anymore? That would be swell.

It's hilarious how some posters think they are intelligent by saying the government is totalitarian.[

What is not totalitarian about the government controlling a person's food intake. The consumption of food is a basic need - to have it regulated by anyone is fairly totalitarian IMO.

Originally posted by SaltireWarriorbut the fact is they are just brainless consumers, drinking themselves all the way to the hospital and early death.

Seriously, stop drinking the poison.

Speaking of drinking poison - step away from the government propaganda for a while. Try living your own life and making your own choices. If you found soda to be bad for you, that is fan friggin tastic. If I want anyone's opinion on my behavior I will ask them. If I want someone to control it - shoot me for I have lost my mind.

I find it entertaining how some judgmental wankers think they have the right to tell other people what is good for them.

Drink it up - I could personally care less.

It doesn't affect me how much soda people drink.

I worry about me.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join