It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we christians/creationists must spread the word we believe in

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
I think the word has been spread enough, have you not checked the historical death toll ?
QV.

You have the bible confused with that other book. The other book was written just for that reason.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to RedbeardedFoo's:"plz take this advice with love and respect....not sarcasm....as long your original intentions were not gargoyle in nature."

Ummm. Cuz,
There is a problem with Gargoyles?
Sorry, I didn't get the memo.
Gargoyles are images in stone which are protective, though usually pretty much like nothing you'd wanna take to the prom.
You should check out the Gargoyles on the courthouse at Waxahachi Texas.
There is a story behind them.
A sculptor was tricked into thinking he would recieve the hand of the Mayors daughter if he would sculpt, and set Gargoyles on the new courthouse.
The first were beautiful...angelic Gargoyles.
But as the sculptor learned more of the town, and particularly the Mayor and his kith, the Gargoyles he sculpted grew increasingly ugly, in the end they were absolutely monstrous because the Mayor had had his daughter leave for a stay at relatives in Fort Worth.
The magic is, that the sculptor while he did create some traditional scary looking Gargoyles, his latter work was almost too hideous for the sensibilities of that time gone by,...now in the faces, the Mayor, his family, and the local "high muckdemucks'" in most tortured and macabre visage, were the grimaces worn on "the demons"
indeed, ladies fainted dead away at the mere sight of them.
You can find some interesting stories on these Gargoyles.
~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
With regard to the OP.
I will gladly convert to Xianity when YOU can do the things Christ said you could.
Remember, J.C. said "TRY ME."
So I task you thusly: Walk on water, Heal the sick. Raise the dead (Lazarus, git yo lazy butt up"), Move a mountain, Turn water into wine (no vodak and Wylers), Cause an old woman's oil to never run dry, Feed the multitudes with fish and loaves(I'm feeling generous so I'll allow you five of each, more than J.C. had).Walk on water. Calm the seas. Rise from the dead (three day limit).
Remember the words of J.C."These things I do, ye shall do also."
Now since you can evidence not even the least of the things Christ said you would be able to do in his name, I have some question of modern Christianities claim their ministers are called to preach, or have the ear of Christ, although you plead the blood of Christ, when the HALLELUYAS' die down, nothing had changed.
So here ya go.
1. Walk on water...see that lake? It's mine, get stepping.
2. Heal the sick. I have a sister with cerebral palsy, God has not seen fit to heal her in the last 51 years.
3. Raise the dead. I've buried one son, I'd like to have him back with the family, no dice since 89, and my very religious wife prayed for God to turn back time the morning he died, she has prayed many prayers...I guess she isn't holding her tongue right.
4. Move a mountain. There is one ridge I would like to see over, but I'm betting it'll be here longer than I will.
Choose 2.
Me?
I'm a licensed and Ordained Minister, have been for many years...somebody has to do the marrying and the burying.
I'm an interfaith Minister.
I do what I can to comfort the grieving with flower platitudes, and rosey scenarios involving one's name being found in the Lamb's book Of life, but I'll be honest with you, most Christers would hear the words "Go away from me for I never knew you."
I personally have no modern religion, and I'm only judgemental about religous people when they attempt to induct others with love bombings or by using the fear factor"You shall surely split hell wide open", ect..
Religion has a nasty way of breaking up families, of destroying conversation, and leaving some self rightous prig enjoying it's pious pucker and it's sin alarm clucker... ah the wafting aroma of the Christians trying to make other people enter a completely bogus religion...a flatulence enjoyed only by the cheese cutter.
And now to finalize this complete waste of time.
Put up or shut up.
Christ warned that many would come in his name, that's why he said to test the spirits, and I've yet to meet anyone who can fullfil the tests Christ left to prove himself, and the faith.
Your God has no more authority than Kermit the frog, and if you wish to be respected because of your beliefs...forget it.
Hypatia of Alexandria is a goddess, murdered by Xians, and you cannot make that right, so let's just say that since 235AD Christians have been enemies of free thought, and it hating free thought, have become my enemies.
C'mon, prove your belief.
I'm betting you got nothing.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I grew up Catholic... Sit, Stand, Kneel ring a bell? This is the point where you bad talk Catholics for not being true Christians. Even at a young age I saw the contradictions and inconsistencies in religion. At a young age I had been exposed to multiple religions and as far as I'm concerned they are all the same. Why is it that the bloodiest places on earth are the "Holy Lands"? There has been a lot of blood shed throughout history in the name of God... it's still happening. I'm an artist/designer and let me tell you that if you want a true depiction of the control of religion take some art history courses. There are times in history where paintings of Christ are loving and forgiving and other times where he is depicted as condemning and damning. If no one has said it yet, I will - It's all bull#. Religion has been the most devastating plague to humankind in the history of the earth. If people kept their personal religious ideals to themselves perhaps there would be less bloodshed. Just to clarify my my position: I am not religious but I am a spiritual person. I don't need saving, in fact I'll go so far as to say that leaving religion was my saving grace - Thank you God for the enlightenment.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

Originally posted by tmw93
we must spread the news of god and jesus christ. we must spread the mantra forgive and repent. we must pass out the prayer that will bring us closer to god which is this one
Lord, I thank You for Your love and Your mercy, thank You, Lord, for the word that has reached my heart today. Father, I ask for Your forgiveness. Forgive me. Wash me with Your precious blood. Write my name in the Book of Life. Accept me as Your child, Lord. Right now, I forgive anyone that I had not been able to forgive. I renounce to my lack of forgiveness. I renounce all things that have hindered Your flow, and I ask You to transform me and to fill me with Your
presence every day. Thank You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; in the Name of Jesus, Amen.

sorry to intrude in your debates on whether god is real or not. i am trying to help people find christ any wAy i can.

if you were born in the middle east you'd be saying the same thing about Muhammad and Allah

Actually if you were born in the middle east in the early 5 odd centuries after Christ you would be by in large Christian. Those countries were Christian initially but then Rome went on a mission to destroy authentic Christianity so they helped out Muhammad and influenced him to raise up against those Christian lands. Such conquests warring continued after his death. The Islamic faith is closely connected to the Catholic faith at the highest levels amongst the insiders with but few disputes between them over the centuries

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luminaught
I'm a licensed and Ordained Minister, have been for many years..

become a licensed, ordained minister at ordination.com

.somebody has to do the marrying and the burying.

you sound really inspired about your beliefs

I'm an interfaith Minister.

yes, interfaith. this would be the same interfaith associated with the United Nations.
the same interfaith who claim their foundation of belief as, "my way is not the only way; it is one way. We believe in honoring all paths"

all paths except Christianity. got it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbaden
I grew up Catholic... Sit, Stand, Kneel ring a bell? This is the point where you bad talk Catholics for not being true Christians. Even at a young age I saw the contradictions and inconsistencies in religion. At a young age I had been exposed to multiple religions and as far as I'm concerned they are all the same. Why is it that the bloodiest places on earth are the "Holy Lands"? There has been a lot of blood shed throughout history in the name of God... it's still happening. I'm an artist/designer and let me tell you that if you want a true depiction of the control of religion take some art history courses. There are times in history where paintings of Christ are loving and forgiving and other times where he is depicted as condemning and damning. If no one has said it yet, I will - It's all bull#. Religion has been the most devastating plague to humankind in the history of the earth. If people kept their personal religious ideals to themselves perhaps there would be less bloodshed. Just to clarify my my position: I am not religious but I am a spiritual person. I don't need saving, in fact I'll go so far as to say that leaving religion was my saving grace - Thank you God for the enlightenment.

are you interested in a rebuttal to your conclusions?
or was the intention of your post simply to dump these conclusions onto anyone who would listen?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sbaden

That is what I hear from people leaving Catholicism. There is to much ceremony and not enough religion

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

Read Matthew 24:3-31 and notice verse 9. That will explain the reaction.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I oft times wonder if the bablers have read anything other than the recommeded verses, strung together by todays "bible lawyers" to mean something quite different than what is indeed the gospel.
And it is true that according to the New Testament Jebus only came for the lost of the house David.
And now they wanna pick on all our happy go lucky devils.
PPPHHHHTTT!

Names, games, covert, no flames.
Infinite names. Infinite faces.
only what you want right now!
Will you do the Lambada with me?
tell me sweet.
whychin weem,
snow over the cabin for weeks on end.
Quick work with a hatchet to do em all in.
Earth people, adam people.
You.
We and ours quit many claim.
And so we did to you.
T'was Dew who shone on silent ground,
could not longer reach across,
to die even as you take wing.
When err did churchbells ring.
So many lost, so many lost,
The Fain (Fyn) found oceans to cross.
Not the tribe of Adam be.
We are of earth shat from the sea.
No heaven us have or wanteth no!
We are forever, we are to know.
In our wake ancient tales resound.
And if want it we, we're nearly always around
We can lul the pipers ,
but we saw you toil to build,
strong Adamic children of your guild.
We decided this must be.
Other places waited we.
We are not of the tribe of Adam.
Your argument is invalid.
Thank you, please drive through.
The graces all were of we too.
You can't join us, nor we you.
Perhaps that helps you see my view.

My Personal Philosophy?

What the heck you doing here?

Tell em you chew Wrigley's Spearment Beer!"

You will have a short career.

And to be sure that's how it goes,
shoot off one or more toes.

Burma Shave.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Reply SBaden: I as a very young man worked within the cofines of a hospital. St. Joseph's. The sisters became pals.
They loved driving my go-carts and minibikes, so we hung out on the roof of the hospital, brinking beer, basic partying as the very, very good lord intended. So anyway I work with three nuns from Ireland, and they rocked harder than the plastic people ever could imagine. So did Pop Brady, straight up tripper. Vinny (short for her real name) loved to play "ELUDE THE POLICE".
We'd watch as she'd bait them into a pursuit, then use every trick in the book to lose 13mph capable cars on a pit bike that is huffing and puffing at 30, and handles like a hippo on heat wheeling a freezer on a hand cart.
She had a few really good tricks, one of her best was to hit the underground parking and take the emergency elevator to the roof, she also hid inside the Chapple on the quad, rode down railroad tracks, and hid behind bushes.
Pop, Rosie, and I would convulse in laughter.
We drank some strange brew called I think Chemay, old bottles, trappist monks, that sort of trip. Me and Pops had our differences between "GUD OURISH WHISKEY!" and Jim Beam.
They all got us buzzed.
So anyway Pops comes and asks if I want to go to medical school in Great Britain.
I told him I would when everybody headed back to the emerald isle, meaning our little Hellfire Club.
God I loved em all.
Pop had gotten with some of the other guys in their order and decided I could do medical school if I'd sign for 5 years after grad school.
I really didn't feel like medicine was where I wanted to go,
Orthodox, Reform, Roscucians, Fransicans, ECT. have my respect for the ritual, the mystique, the Holy Relics, and partying.
I told Pops I was thinking about converting to Catholic, he asked "from what", and I said "Hellion", Pops laughed and said "Yer adoin tha lards werk me lad."
Ok.
That'll be twenty Mother Marys.
Six Our Ladys.
And 50 Apostols Creeds.
Go ye, and sin no more. (especially as Pop used to say, if you can't confess something worth hearing.)
I could tell you a few confession stories Pops told me, but of course he didn't drop names.
Never had so much fun with Protestants.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
@ stupid girl.
You know, I read your nom de plume, and thought you were being hard on yourself, but I may have to agree with your estimation in time.
Right now I don't really think you are mentally challenged, just bird in a guilded cage.
You see I often answer questions of people wanting to know more of their religion, or whom would have the capacity to value the contrast and compare in more than one set of beliefs.
This is a major part of what an Interfaith Minister does.
If a person comes to me as a Christian lay person I will discuss with him or her the ambivilant feelings they may encounter when in grief, after a job loss, when confronted with a cheating spouse, you know, everyday stuff like that, it's sort of being a shoulder to cry on and a clinical analyst, I have a minor degree in Psychology.
Many problems people have cause them to fear "coming clean" with their Pastor. I am non-judgemental, it is not my job to judge, but to offer alternatives.
No Christian ever came to me and left anything but a Christian, but many I deal with have decided their religion was dead. They feel no presence of God inside themselves. Remember Thomas?
If you are a protestant you have really made quite the faux pas.
Are YOU a Protestant?
Do YOU know what you are Protesting?
You are protesting the Christian Church.
Ask around in Ireland, every now and then the Protestants and the Catholics bomb each others places of worship, or murder one another for their differences in worship.
Real Christ-like huh?
If you are a Protestant you may wish to study the history of the Protestant churches early times.
Martin Luther was excommunicated when he founded the religion you practise, the charge
"Consorting with Demons".
You'll be pleased to know Martin Luther returned to the Catholic faith before he died, and was given absolution, he died a good Catholic.
Now, as to my qualifications. I graduated from Southwest Bible College which is where I learned much more about Christianity than you seem to know.
Since you mention some diploma mill and try to acuse me of paying a few dollars to obtain some dodgy paper is not only an insult, it is a sin.
You have born false witness against me, you have in doing so violated the Ten Commandments.
EXPRESS TRAIN TO HELL...GOING DOWN!
See how easy it is to be cast to the outer darkness (no fire) as the reward for a life of inequities.
Your "Holyer than Thou" attitude also displays PRIDE, a deadly sin.
Teach Christianity? The kind you seem to have, no thanks.
Another thing which may shock you...I am an ETHNIC Christian, and believe me, we are sick of all these denominations spewing their venom when the first thing we are taught is "God is Love".
You "so called Christians" work harder to turn people away from your faith than you do to attract people, which is why your denominations are shrinking...go catch some mega church happy talk on TV...yeah, that'll work...LOL!
You may need to look inside yourself, were I counceling you I would suggest that you study certain books of the Bible, after your insult I have just the passage, but one as spiritualy blind as yourself will never think it applies to you. That is because you are self rightous, ooops, more sin.
I have served as a Rabbi to two protestant ministers as they confronted death, this is a great honor.
I'm no enemy to anyones religious feelings, nor am I unqualified to give end of life counceling to church elders.
There was a comical retort from yet another "christian" acusing me of not taking my duties seriously.
I am licensed by not only my state, but one other as well.
Let me make this plain so that even sanctimonius persons such as you two can understand it.
Sitting on your arse in a church pew, dropping a quarter in the plate, and being religious for show brings you ever closer to your version of hell.
You come here for the purpose of being an irritant to those who got past your religious arguments at about age 10. Xians invaded about a year or so ago, and knew we did not desire fellowship with you posers.
Silly Girl, the Church I am a member of has been operating for more than 80 years, recent articals online by Religious writers openly says that ours will most likely be the only Church to survive the century, for while your numbers shrink, ours grow.
I've wasted too much time on one who will refuse to see the error of her ways,this will be my final message on this topic with you, but, since you have made light of something I take very seriously you owe me an apology, but you are too full of yourself and pride to admit it.
Every time any of you opens his or her mouth you reveal your ignorance, you wallow in it.
Religion is not science, it is not why we visit ATS, and you know this, your motive? to irritate persons who want nothing to do with you.
If we are to deny ignorance ATS should ban you. RES personal attack. Mods?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Strength

If you have NOTHING nice to say please stop trolling the Religious, Faith, and Theology forums and if you want to then please don't post anything ignorant. If you have a question, SERIOUS questions why not just ask in a humane manor?

Excuse me, but it is not The Preaching-Christians-Only forum!
It is open to anyone interested in ANY religion, ANY faith, ANY theology. There happen to be many ATS members who are very interested in the subject, yet refrain from pushing their particular "faith", "religion" or "theology" on anyone else. In fact, many are openly seeking answers to questions that organized or non-denominational "religion" have yet to answer sufficiently...

In my opinion, the people who come here saying "blah blah MUST do thus and such"......are the troublemakers......
that's for church, not for ATS.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Another thing which may shock you...I am an ETHNIC Christian, ...the first thing we are taught is "God is Love".

...God sucks more than christians, that is if there WAS a god. God does not exist, nor does Satan, heaven, or hell.

A Christian minister who does not believe God exists... and yet you are blasting stupid girl for violating one of the ten commandments...calling HER stupid and sanctimonius and asking mods to BAN her... seriously?

I'm a licensed and Ordained Minister, have been for many years...

I'm willing to bet that I am not the ONLY one here asking WHY?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Luminaught

you assume much.

I can assure you, I have no grandiose delusions of myself. But should I decide otherwise, I will simply revert back to your previous posts in this thread. That is more example than I will ever need.

I am a sinner, no doubt. However, bearing false witness against you is not one of them. In your attempt to chastise and deride the OP of this thread, it seemed apparent that you sought to justify yourself by publicly declaring that you were an ordained minister. I simply pointed out the fact than anyone can be an ordained minister, thus rendering any implied authority moot.

If you felt insulted by any of the observations I noted in my post, I apologize. However, do not mistake my apology as my concession to agree with you. Nowhere in my post did I blatantly insult you.

Nowhere in my post did I call you a poser, sanctimonious, an irritant, ignorant, spiritually blind or self righteous. Nowhere in my post did I accuse you of having an holier than thou persona, being religious for show or wallowing in your own ignorance.
Nowhere in my post did I imply that you were on an express train to hell or that you consorted with demons.

I find it amusing that, after all that, you then state that you are no enemy to anyone's religious feelings.

The putrifaction of your fruit is noxious to the soul.
An ordained minister, indeed. You may want to keep your distance from millstones.

I must concede however, about the one thing in your post of which you are actually correct.
Our numbers will continue to dwindle, while yours increase.

If I am banned, so be it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I really, really don't think christians need to be spreading their word anymore. They already forcibly took over the world religion precipice next to Islam, and frankly, has more supporters than any other religion combined.

In all honesty, I think christians should shut their mouth more often, and people would take them a bit more seriously. This isn't the Medieval times, there's no need to constantly be parroting bible quotations to try and convert people.

I don't believe in jesus, I don't believe in god. I prefer the gods that are far older than christianity's new one.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Randomacity

It is the same God that it has always been. He is not so hands on with the flock as he used to be and he just sends different messengers with updates from time to time. I hope you got the last memo.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

yes, interfaith. this would be the same interfaith associated with the United Nations.
the same interfaith who claim their foundation of belief as, "my way is not the only way; it is one way. We believe in honoring all paths"

all paths except Christianity. got it.

One World Religion.

Ecumenism.

Supported by the Pope.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sbaden

There are times in history where paintings of Christ are loving and forgiving and other times where he is depicted as condemning and damning

What point about Jesus being God did you not understand? Did you buy into all that sh*t about him being a hippy with no judgements and no laws?

He showed mercy to those who gave mercy, and he gave judgement to those who passed judgement. He kicked over the tables of the money changers and lenders in the temple and whipped them because they were profaning the temple by conducting business and the arts of usury to steal from people.

He damned the pharisees who called the Holy Spirit a demon and preached in parables so they couldn't be saved. He does not brook any bullsh*t. Thats part and parcel to being God.
edit on 1-6-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
You really are so short sighted and hypocritical.

Aren't we all?

The only way one could discover Jesus is the way is to realize that in their own time and effort. I don't need you babbling nonsense into my ear all the time,

I'm not trying to convert anyone, if that's what you think. I merely spread what I believe to be truth, as will anyone who values truth and is passionate about it.

your preaching is utterly useless unless you can provide me with solid proof of what you're claiming, and of course you cannot.

See, here. You just stated unless I could provide you with solid proof of my claims, you won't believe-
And then you state I cannot do this. Fallacy.

This argument is then deemed pointless, as no amount of, what I consider evidence, will be "solid proof" for you- because we are simply human, after all, and affirm to our beliefs with a fiery zeal. If someone comes trying to disprove you, it will not matter to us, as we have what we consider proof and that is all we need.

For the believer, no proof is necessary. For the unbeliever, no proof is ever enough. The thing is, I know what it's like to be an unbeliever; yet you do not know what it's like to be a born-anew.

And if I have to give up my critical thought and rationality to believe in all this nonsense, then I'd rather not have your god damn eternal life. All this nonsense based on your mere self serving desire to grasp eternal life, and your deep fear of a finite existence. In truth you disgust me.

God encourages critical thought, rationality, and the denial of ignorance- you'd be a great Apologetic, if you only had the proof you are looking fo- er, wait..

Proverbs 1:7 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Proverbs 16:16 “How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!”

God is not against wisdom and knowledge, yet encourages you to think critically and with a rational, logical mind.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daemondoll
Deuteronomy 28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

That will always be my favourite.

I should expect it to be your 'favorite', as something tells me you have pulled this card out more than once- thinking you have found 'the argument' against Christians and found victory in it. Not with me. I can see that you have clearly, possibly deliberately, misinterpreted this scripture.

It's Deuteronomy 22:28, to be exact.

The problem comes from the interpretation of the Hebrew expression "lay hold on her and lie with her".

'Taphas' is the Hebrew word for "Lay hold on her", and it can mean "to catch, handle, etc", it doesn't necessitate a wrongful handling, or laying hold of.

'Shakab' is the Hebrew word meaning "to Lie down", it is used of consensual, marital sexual relations in Leviticus- example, Leviticus 15:18- "If a man lies with a woman so that there is a seminal emission, they shall both bathe in water and be unclean until evening."

What we have here is the law concerning seduction, not rape. In no way is rape condoned in any part of the Bible, and a simple reading of the context of Deuteronomy 22:25-29 easily confirms this-

But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die. But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter: For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.

This one is concerning rape.

And this is the one you quoted-

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled (seduced) her, he may not put her away all his days.

Notice, now, that verse 25 gives the law regarding rape, but uses an entirely differed word than in verses 28-29. The word us in verse 25 is "chazaq" - meaning, "to force"

In all the other accounts of the Bible that recount rape, none of them use the expression "taphas Shekahb", which is used in Deuteronomy 22:28-29.

To help you understand it better, in today's world- a man who meets a girl and has per-marital relations with her, with consent, is then obligated to be betrothed to her. I personally believe that if you don't plan on marrying someone, don't have sex with them- and only have sex after you are married.

Try again.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join